knee pain prior to hip replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt109

I'm due for a THR in early May and I have both hip and knee pain. My orthopod says the knee pain is coming from the hip. Has anyone had this experience and does the knee pain go away with the hip replacement?

I need a revision from a THR in 1988 and a THR on the other hip. My surgery is scheduled for April 16.

My thighs hurt, my knees hurt and now my ankles even hurt! I'm taking morphine for the extreme pain. I'm sure this is all due to the imbalance of the hips. In other words, my hips are not supporting my body so strain is put on the lower bones and muscles to do the job that the hips should be doing.

Immediately after my first surgery the pain was gone. It was amazing. Good luck and look forward to pain free living!

I had pain diagonally across the knee. Prior to my operation.

From day 1 post operation, there was no further pain in my hip or knee.

Good luck for the operation.

Stefan

I had my right hip replaced in 2004 and immediately following surgery, the knee pain that was so prevalent was gone. I couldn't believe it. It was, after all, the knee pain that drove me to an orthopedic visit in the first place because I couldn't sleep for the pain in both my knees. Now I've had the left hip replaced (June 6) and the left knee still seems to have some pain when I do some therapy moves and some walking. I'm going to have to go over this with the surgeon at my post op visit. I also will talk further with my p.t. I hope it fades with time.

I've had both hips replaced and had so much pain in my knees I was afraid they were going south too. I asked my doctor about it and he told me that it's very normal, in that situation, for the pain to go down into the knees--I forget all the details but it's normal.

As soon as I had each hip replaced, the pain in my knees went away, which was a good thing because for a while, my knees were hurting almost as much as my hips.

I had both hips done this year due to "N" stage arthritis - bone on bone. I hate to say this, but my knees are killing me! Especially my left knee. If you have arthritis bad enough to destroy your hips, chances are that you have the same issue in your knees. I will have to have at least one knee replaced in the next year or so when my hips have both fully healed. The imbalance from my hips caused the knee to get worse, but arthritis was still the underlying cause.

Yes, Gosse. You have illustrated the old classic "quadrangle" of arthritis - both hips and both knees. Time was when you could only have two of the four joints treated by replacement!! What a choice! However, such is not the case these days. But the old 'wear and tear' arthritis is going to hit all four major weight bearing joints just the same.

I am 35 yrs old; scheduled for THR of Left hip 14 Jan 2008. I have left knee pain too; right now my knee aches more than my hip!! After reading the postings I'm encouraged to know that the knee pain most likely will go away.

Good luck Ginny,

The younger the person the more frustrating it can be waiting to be up and about again. One piece of advice I can offer is not to push it too soon.

Although I have have a few issues, it is well worth the wait.

Stefan

Thank you! Reading everyone's experience is helping me stay positive. 15 days away...I'm nervous.

I hope everyone has a rewarding new year.
~Ginny

Hi Ginny!
Believe me - You'll never regret getting the THR. No more pain! You'll be walking with NO PAIN, enjoying life again! Plan on 4-6 weeks of 'light' recovery (meaning that you'll probably feel pretty good but will be slowed down by crutches and a few restrictions) but you'll find yourself walking better than you have in so many years and when you notice how well you're doing it, you'll think you were silly for feeling any fear.
I'm just about 6 weeks post surgery and I feel so great and walk so well I want to shout it from the rooftops! (and I'm no athletic, skinny young person. I'm 52 and a it overweight but active!)
Good luck! Hope to hear from you on here post surg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member