BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Knee pain post hip replacement<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Ryesgma, May 12, 2019.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi @Ryesgma
    The protocol for what we need to do to heal "well" after hip replacement can be very confusing.
    Absolutely right.

My hips are aching just reading that.

Good news...you have an answer to how to ease the pain and discomfort you are suffering.
    :ok:
    I bet you will feel lots better in a fefew sort weeks is you abstain from this "therapy":yes:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ryesgma

Ryesgma junior member

I agree:thumb: I just had a discussion with my husband and I told him I was no longer going to do the physical therapy and he said that was a great idea , I've been looking at all my bills for said therapy and they are billing for stuff their not even doing:bignono: I'm pretty much over having drs say that it's a good thing when they aren't the ones being hurt by it :censored:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

Man... that PT regimen sounds familiar, but all of it at 8-9 weeks!!!??? Not too sure about that.

4. Ryesgma

Ryesgma junior member

They actually started me on it at 3 weeks post op:groan: I was told I needed it to strengthen my core and get my hip better I've been struggling ever since:censored:

5. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

Man. I don’t remember exactly when I started PT on the first one 6 years ago. Pretty sure it wasn’t 3 weeks. But I do remember blowing through it. Shhhh, don’t tell @Layla :heehee:

6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

She heard you. Layla started PT at 3 weeks post op, went three times and quit :rotfl:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Layla

That is awful. I can't even believe they had you doing those exercises.
    Planks, Bridges, Crab Walks, Squats :yikes:
    I don't know what the other two are, I'll have to look them up.
    Hopefully in a week or two, without PT, you'll notice a big improvement. Please stay in touch.
    Wishing you comfort and healing.
    @Ryesgma

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Ryesgma

Ryesgma junior member

Will do , I'm hoping it makes a difference:yawn: not sure what my surgeon is going to say about me quitting PT but whatever:dancy:

9. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Is your crab walk image #1 or image #2?

upload_2019-6-8_21-35-12.png upload_2019-6-8_21-35-40.png

Either one is not something you should be doing starting at 3 weeks out from surgery. But image #1 is diabolical and I certainly hope that's NOT what they were having you do.

Was your Bird Dog like this?
    upload_2019-6-8_21-47-50.png

And your Superman like this?
    upload_2019-6-8_21-38-57.png

These also are both too much to start less than a month from surgery. And you have to get up and down from the floor to do both! Not a good thing for a baby hip.

And bridges, planks and squats too......I'm so sorry to hear you've been put through all this. I think you're wise to put a stop to this crazy therapy program. Walking is good and even with that you need to be careful....start slowly and work up to distances. Pay attention to how your body reacts in the 24-48 hours after a walk or a busy day of daily activities. If you have pain, it means you're not ready yet for that level of activity. Scale back and try again in a week or so. There is no race to get your hip back to normal. And, because it would seem you've irritated some soft tissue, it may take longer to get back on a smooth path to recovery.

The good news is that you can do this. Use your common sense. Many times that's just as good as a therapist in figuring out what activity is right.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  10. Ryesgma

Ryesgma junior member

@Jamie the crab walk they had me doing was image #2 and yes the other images are what they had me doing , and to make things even worse is that with the Superman I had to have a ball between my ankles and hold it while doing the exercises:gaah: it seemed like a bit much to me . I'm so glad to hear that it really is too much cause I thought I was being a big baby:dead:

11. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

You are not a baby at all. You just had a therapist (and maybe a therapy clinic) that didn't quite understand how to help someone recover from a THR. The fact that your xray looks good should mean that you'll bounce back from all this just fine. You just need a period of time for your body to reset itself and recover from whatever irritation has occurred to your soft tissues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Ryesgma All those exercises are for lower back and core stability - not for hips. So glad you are going to stop all this. And please don't be intimidated by the surgeon. You are so right - he is not the one experiencing pain.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. degalisto

degalisto new member

Often with arthritis you have been favoring your leg and so using the wrong muscles for the wrong purpose. So walking as correctly as possible will help. Might be ackward at first. Stand up straight and walk slowly but smoothly. I know I have trouble with this..trying to zoom around the house. Pain also causes the muscles to tense up and put pressure on the knee. Make sure no swelling ..is it impinging on the sacral or leg nerves? Mine is going away...hang in there..it will get better. I was all messed up from arthritis in that hip joint and walking wrong to protect it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That's rather high for 10 weeks out
    Well, for a start I wouldn't take ibuprofen because a) it's a very poor pain killer and b) it has some rather nasty side effects
    Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
    NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

I suggest that instead you take Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day at 6hrly intervals. I know the FDA has ruled that 3,000mg acetaminophen is a safe maximum but that would be assuming that the patient is taking another medication that also contained it and thereby inadvertently take an overdose. Assuming that this is not the case, the maximum safe dosage per 24hrs 4,000mgs.
    You accomplish little or nothing in 30 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
    But does that just mean you elevate the leg flap? Because that is not enough. You need to get to "toes above nose" in order to elevated properly.
    That's active!
    Excellent

You don't need these. FOr one thing you are 10 weeks out and walking will be quite sufficient. And secondly, it's not necessary to do all these. They are what is causing your pain.

In summary as suggested
    1. change your medication
    2. ice for longer
    3. make sure you are elevating properly
    4. stop those exercises I have crossed out. They are doing you more harm than good.

If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ryesgma

Ryesgma junior member

@Josephine I want to thank you for all the help and support you have given me:loveshwr: I wish I would have found this forum right after my surgery, I would have avoided all this nagging pain :doh:I'm no longer going to physical therapy and I'm going to be icing longer as well and take it easy. I really want this hip to work and be pain free:ice:

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Layla

Please don't be discouraged if it takes a few weeks to rebound.
    I'm still amazed they had you doing all of that. In looking at the photos, Jamie, left it really helps you realize how unrealistic those contortions are for someone who just experienced major surgery.
    The image of that woman in the black shorts and sports bra :yikes: Don't know if I want to laugh or cry?!! I can't imagine trying to attempt that so soon after surgery.
    I hope you have a good day!
    @Ryesgma

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. Ryesgma

Ryesgma junior member

@Layla I was thinking the same thing as you when they started me on those insane excersises:rotfl: I called their office today and cancelled all my remaining appointments. I'm really hoping that stopping this will help with my pain , and want to thank you for all of your help and advice. Hope you have a great day:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Layla

You're welcome! We're here for you.
    I'm happy you cancelled the PT. Allow yourself plenty of rest and lots of icing. I know I've already communicated this but, Josephine, has often mentioned that sometimes when people suffer a setback, as you are, it can take a few weeks. So keep that in mind and don't be disappointed if you don't bounce back as quickly as you'd like to.
    Keep us posted on how you're doing. I believe I just read on ForumUser's thread that he set himself back a week after overdoing it a couple weeks ago. It can take time to recover from these incidents.
    A happy Tuesday to you!
    @Ryesgma

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Ryesgma

Ryesgma junior member

Happy Tuesday to you too:yahoo: sorry it took so long for me to respond @Layla I went to go see my daughter today to get my nails and feet done , had a great visit and now my hands and feet are pretty again . I think I used a weeks worth of energy:thud: going to take it easy tomorrow . I'm hoping to start feeling better soon:yes!:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ryesgma

Ryesgma junior member

Today has been a good day so far:loveshwr: I've been relaxing and crocheting all day and my hip feels better , I am so glad I stopped my physical therapy:thumb: I'm going to continue to take it easy and let this new beautiful hip heal properly . I'm a couple weeks away from my next surgery and starting to finally feel positive about it:yahoo:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1