TKR Knee pain 12

1Mucky1

Country
United States United States
Hi all, it's my first time writing.
I had a left knee TKR 12 weeks ago (Feb 7th) and after quite a lot of different pains along the way it started to improve, my stamina levels around my knee and most of my leg is still quite low although there has been much improvement.
I had a fall after 8 weeks but fell on the right side and never noticed any changes.
Now I am getting more nerve pains.
This last week and a half my knee has been giving extreme pain on the inside knee approximately over the upper joint to the point where it seems I'm going backwards my rom (flexation) has dropped from 130° to 123° and the pain is more extreme when sitting in a table type chair and it is difficult to walk although walking is helping after a while.
Last week I also had an xray to check the implant and a blood test for infection, all looks good but the pain is quite severe.
Has anyone else experienced this or has an idea what might be causing my pain?
Regards to all
Mitchell

Welcome to Bonesmart @1Mucky1. How much have your activities increased or changed? Doing too much too soon is normally the cause of extra pain and swelling. Your bend is going down because you are swelling. It is much harder to bend a swollen knee. Try backing off of your activities for a week or so and see if your pain and swelling go down.

Each person is different as is their recovery. Most find that the Bonesmart approach works best for them, but others find that a more aggressive therapy helps them more. It's your recovery and your choice on how you recover. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect. The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax and let it. Don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly only temporary.
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when the pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT...
a. If it hurts, don't do it, and don't allow anyone to hurt you.
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again for a few weeks.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Try out our great new opportunity to improve your gait. It's OneStep. It's free and you will find it to be a huge help to you. Click here: OneStep

@1Mucky1 Welcome to BoneSmart! Sorry that knee is giving you a rough time. Have you changed your activity level recently? Are you icing and elevating that op leg when this pain appears? You might want to use a walking aid until this pain settles.

This recovery is a roller coaster, and you won't know from day to day whether you'll be on the up or the down part. It takes, on average, a full year to recover, so even after three months, we often have days where we feel like we've gone totally backwards. But, in the long run, we are doing better, yet setbacks do happen. When they do, back off your activities for a bit, rest when possible, icing and elevating as much as possible, and gradually add back your activities as your knee allows. Over time, as you look back, you'll see how much progress you've made and how much better you are than you were earlier on. There will come days, and then weeks, then almost all the time, when you forget you even have a knee, and that is why we have this surgery. Be patient, and listen to your knee-it will tell you in no uncertain terms when it's ready for something, when it's not, and when it needs a break.

Hi and thanks for the input, I have cut all activities out except walking and I am in a much better place for it.
I think that my knee nerve endings were beginning to wake up, also when I shower and use the massager extension spritz it really helps plus ice and heat seems to help a lot as well
Speedy recovery to all.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks