Fusion [Knee Fusion] Leg Fusion

Koki

Country
United States United States
Hi,

I had a right knee fusion after multiple knee replacements, multiple infections and a torn patella. I was in a wheel chair for 8 months with a spacer in my knee. I had my fusion done Oct 28th. I'm having a very difficult time adjusting to my new way of walking and living with a fused leg. Beside the fact that I cannot drive, I cannot sit in the front passenger seat due the fact that my leg is straight and my toes hit under the glove compartment. My husband and I have been looking for a SUV/Van that will accommodate a straight leg. It's not the length that needs to be adjusted, but the depth of glove compartment to the floor. I really don't want to sit in the back seat, which is not as comfortable as the seat upfront, for the rest of life. Most car modification companies modify for the driver side not the passenger side.

I'm hoping someone is or has faced this same problem and can give some guidance as to what I can do.

Thanks

Last edited:
@Koki Welcome to BoneSmart. I can't say I have ever seen any of our members discuss this problem. But I am sure someone will be along soon with their suggestions or input.

I know a glove compartment can be replaced. Is there an option to just remove it?

While I've never been in your exact shoes, I do feel for you in your struggles. It has to be hard to adjust to this new normal, but I am confident that over time you'll succeed and learn new methods and ways to live with a non-bending knee. Maybe your doctor's office would have some information on vehicles and other ways to make the necessary changes? I know some here have been required to keep their knees straight for a temporary period, I'll tag @Pumpkln as I know a couple of people have had to use immobilizers, but can't remember right now who they were, and she will likely know. Granted, theirs were only temporary, but maybe they'll have some insight for you. Good luck and please keep us posted as you recover.

Thanks for responding.

I wore an immobilizer on each knee for up to 8 weeks each after my kneecap removals. To sit in the front seat I laid the back all the way down and sat on it and the regular seat. It's not comfortable for a long ride, but works for short trips. If you are able to do this make sure your seatbelt is on. You can also use multiple pillows along your back to help.

Hello @Koki - and :welome:

Please will you tell us as much as you can remember of the full dates of all your knee surgeries, so we can add them to your signature? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I'm sorry you've had to have your knee fused, but it sounds as if that was only done as a last resort, after so many surgeries. I do hope that you manage to adapt to it and work your way around the problems you're having now.

My right leg was immobilized straight outward for 2 months after the patella broke. We have a several years old Volvo XC60. I moved the passenger seat all the way back and racked the seat back down. Then I backed up to the seat, slid onto it, and wiggled in like a crab. I put an old squishy pillow on the floor under my right foot; the foot did not make any contact with the glove box at all. Ford owned Volvo for a while so there may be some Ford models with similar passenger side construction. My husband's ancient Chevy Blazer also has enough clearance on the passenger side. I hear your frustration. My Volvo and the Blazer are just the right height for me to get into; anything higher or lower is fairly inaccessible.

I forgot to add that over time I was able to bring the seat back back up so I wasn't riding in a reclining position. But to get out I had to lower it again. And I always used my seatbelt.

Being a "car guy" (hobbyist), my general thought is that a car could be modified to accommodate your leg with a combination of passenger seat re- positioning (slightly lower and farther rearward), and removal of the glove box and frame work around it. Most glove boxes areas have a metal cross brace that would have to be removed. This, of course, is the challenge as there are braces and then there are BRACES. Some may be there to support the glove box, while others could be somewhat more structural. It's all really part of the "dash" structure. Keep in mind, the passenger side AIRBAG is in that "area".

I agree that your best bet is to start with an SUV and preferably one with a high dash to give you as much room to work with as possible. Ideally, you would want something where you end up saying :if only I had a couple more inches, this would work.

If it were me, I'd likely start pulling things apart and looking at online parts diagrams of vehicle to try to access what could be removed. As an aside, making it look "pretty" might not be my highest priority!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88