BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Knee feels - RTKR on 10/1?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by schpooko, Sep 14, 2018.

1. schpooko

schpooko member

United States United States
    Hi all I have been lurking and reading recovery threads for the last week. Today my right knee is the best its been all summer. It makes me feel and say to myself what am I going to get myself into (RTKR) on 10/1. When I read the recovery threads and I feel all the pain that members have gone through I get so scared of this surgery. I just want to make the right decision with doing this. Now mind you my left is bone on bone so I already know the fate of that leg. I guess I am going through a phase of doubt as the date looms near.

My question for some of you is do you have to have a recliner chair. We do not and I really don't want to buy one just for this. I have a roomy chair downstairs in the basement that I thought I could maybe use with an ottoman. Just not sure how comfy that would be for this looooong recovery. Did you guys all have a recliner. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :shocked:

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @schpooko Nearly everyone on this board has gone through the same second guess the decision about joint replacement. But I can tell you from my experience - the longer you wait the more complex the recovery. You have indeed made the right decision. Yes, it's scary facing any surgery. But the success rates for these ops are great. Get this one done and get on with living. We'll help you through this journey.

Recliners are nice but no you really don't need one. Any chair or furniture you use should be firm and high enough so that getting in and out is easy. An ottoman is OK but you will need something close to the chair that supports under your knee.
    Why are you assuming a long recovery? Sure you will need to rest and listen to that knee. But it's not all gloom and doom.

3. schpooko

schpooko member

Thanks for answering... I guess because it's getting closer and today my right knee feels better than it has in a long time I am trying to find an out... I do have a great chair that is the right height for me (I am only 5' 3") and it comes with a rectangular ottoman that I can put long ways so I can use pillows like instructed on this website. This website has been a Godsend for me...

4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I have been on this forum for several years and I can't tell you how many times I see this same "doubt" crop up just pre-op. Relax and start listening to that knee. It is damaged and it does need replacing. Many members find the pain sets in just before the date. It's almost an admission that you have been coping with discomfort for too long.

You will be fine @schpooko !

5. beachy

beachy post-grad

I had several good days after I scheduled my TKR. It’s in 3½ weeks. The knees have gone steadily downhill since then. There are no more good days. Tolerable but not good. It’s affected my back and has caused very painful bursitis in my hips due to limping. The good days are playing mind games with you. I regret not having the surgery sooner.

Your chair sounds great!

6. ertuck

ertuck junior member

I had an ordinary Ikea chair,a Poang which I cut two lots of wood to the same length as the part of the chair that came in contact with the floor.I think it was three under each runner boosting the chairs height by over 6 inches which made all the difference when sitting down and moreso when getting up.What you need to avoid is a low sitting position chair. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/collections/poang/
    Best of British!

7. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

One of the consistent things about knee replacement is that the knee seems to know it's on it's last leg (no pun intended) and suddenly starts behaving so 90% of us start questioning our decision about the surgery.

No, I don't have a recliner and didn't need one. I stayed on my bed for the first few days after surgery and then went back and forth between a regular chair (with leg elevated on pillows) or back to the higher bed (which is downstairs) in the afternoon when tired. The most important thing you will probably need is ice - either gel packs, the English ice bags, an ice machine or combination depending on what suits you best. The second thing which is really helpful is either a combination of pillows for elevating and/or the Lounge Doctor. I used pillows for the first tkr and they were fine; the Lounge Doctor was something nice to have for the second tkr - but certainly not a necessity.

There is a lot of good information on here. It's hard to process it all until you're going through the recovery - but it's a great resource.

8. schpooko

schpooko member

Thanks for writing back... Yes, I had a good day yesterday but today the knee is letting me know that it is there. I know I am making the right decision but as I am sure everyone has said "it's a scary surgery" :sos: I have had more than my share of surgeries in the past (unrelated to knees) along with shoulder surgery to get rid of bone spurs but for some reason this one scares me the most. I said to my husband the pain is what scares me the most. But like my son has said in the past it is time to Man up and get this done. I am going to lean on this website for my whole journey beginning (pre-op) to end (post-op). And I have been reading as many posts as I can...

beachy I have been following your journey and I know exactly what you mean... Good Luck to you on 10/16 (I think I have that right) I read your posts all the time...

ertuck Great chair, looks really comfy Thanks again for the info...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. InkedMarie

InkedMarie graduate

@schpooko I will pray you have less pain than normal. I did!

10. beachy

beachy post-grad

Aw, thanks schpooko! This is a great place to ask for advice, vent and read some excellent ideas for recovery. Do find the stories of amazing recoveries. I think it’s somewhere in the library section.
    My surgery is on 10/11 but you were close!

11. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

No you don't have to have one but they do make a difference. Having said that, we're really only taking about a period of 2-4 weeks at most. I decided to get a recliner sofa because I knew I was having my brother and his wife over to help out for the first week. I do have a house but only two single beds so decided to get one so I could sleep on it and they slept upstairs. I was delighted I did! I was unable to sleep in my bed for about 3 months prior to surgery so slept in the recliner. I also slept in it for 3 months after surgery too!

Can't you hire such furniture in the States?

Just in case you decide to go down that road, here's some advice Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.

This is another helpful thread you might like to peruse!
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home

12. schpooko

schpooko member

InkedMarie Thank Marie I appreciate them. I hope my recovery goes as smoothly as yours... Best Wishes

• Like Like x 1
  13. ertuck

ertuck junior member

Schpooko I gave up on pain killers when I left the Hospital on the 26th of Dec last year after the op on 21st of Dec. I was given a big bag of pain killers and various other odds and ends, dressings etc none of which I ever used and I never took another tablet after that. Yes it was painful but only when I stood up or walked or attempted a double back flip :heehee: . I was convinced that I would be in a lot of excruciating pain but that was not the case.
    The only discomfort I had was getting out of bed for the first four months and I decided to elevate the bed as it was so low, and that did the trick three layers of four by two under the front and back of the bed supports raising the bed by over six inches and lo and behold Roberto was my Uncle. I wish I had done this from the start.!!

The really off putting thing Schpooko about the whole T.K.R. procedure with me as far as you are concerned would be me trying to spell your Bonesmart name correctly, I know I have had great difficulty with it,could you not call yourself Bert or something ?:loll:

14. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I really liked my recliner, but I also did really well in bed. I had the bed upstairs and the recliner downstairs and both were good. I agree with ertuck about having a higher bed (or sofa/chair). It really makes a difference! So if you can arrange a way to (temporarily) raise any low furniture that would pay off after surgery. My sofa is lower, so it was a couple months before I risked it to spend time sitting side by side while watching TV with Mr. Shoes.

• Like Like x 1