TKR Knee done, what's next?

@newlybionic @leejaa I always start the night out in bed, with my ice machine. Can usually get a couple of hours, then wide awake and then move to the recliner. Sometimes I'm able to go back to sleep there, others it just doesn't work. Now that I can sleep on my side, it seems a bit better. :)

I'm now at 4 weeks post op. Saw my OS today. Very pleased with my progress so far. My knee is at 0 and 115. We discussed OP PT and I told him I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. We agreed that I would finish up home PT then decide. I'm still learning toward no OP PT.

Sounds like you are doing well. I had sleep issues as well. I would just give up and go watch a couple of hours of TV or read a book in the middle of the night. After that I could usually nap for a few hours. My knee hated being in one position for too long, so it would get stiff laying on my back in bed. Now 4 months in, it is much more tolerant and painless in bed so sleeping better. I think it will get better for you too, probably pretty soon. Hang in there!

@allin1, hi there! I too watch tv when I can't sleep, love it when I can find some good old movies. You give me hope that this will improve, hopefully very soon! Hope you continue moving ahead in your recovery, and maybe soon we'll both have happy new knees!

Something new in this recovery journey, I have been getting a very sharp pain in my knee. It doesn't last long, maybe a few seconds. It feels like I'm being stabbed with a needle. Is this connected to the nerves that were cut? Hopefully this won't last too long.

We call those short, sharp pains “zingers”, and yes it’s nerves. Almost all of us get them and eventually they stop.

Yes, it sounds like you're having zingers. I described them as like a lightning bolt shooting through my knee. Thank God they don't last long!

Today marks 7 weeks post op. Things are going well, sleeping has improved (thank goodness!) haven't had to go to the recliner in a while. The zingers have stopped, at least for now. Knee is still stiff and tight at first, but it does better once I'm up and moving around. Steps are still an issue, neither knee likes them! Had my last home PT today, I'm at 117° flex, we were both happy with that. Still haven't decided about going to OP PT.

Sounds like you're progressing well!

Three months with my new knee. Things have been going well. Saw OS last week and he is happy with my recovery. I have decided not to do OP PT. My flex and extension are both good. I'm doing stretches and keep moving around the house. All in all I think the worst is behind me, even though I know there is still a long way to go.

I hope everyone is staying healthy and doing well with their recovery. Take care all

Sounds like you're doing quite well. Yay!

Hi there,

I'm just about a week behind you and feeling like I'm a bit over the hump. I'm starting to work on strength building but using swelling as a guide as to when I've overdone it.

Any recommendations for exercises or activities?

Thanks so much.

@ihavetwins hi!! I don't have any exercises to share. I continue to stretch my knee and do the exercises home PT gave me. Then it's just the usual keeping up the house, etc. I do still have some swelling at times, ice takes care of that. I guess with time we will be back to "normal?" I'll settle for no knee pain!

Hope everyone had a happy and healthy holiday. It was very quiet at my house, because of covid no one traveled and we didn't have anyone in, it was definitely different than any other Christmas. I pray that this year will be better.

My knee is doing ok, still have stiffness and zingers are back. A new issue has started, both knees ache at times. My question, is it ok to use heat on my knee at this point (almost 3months out) or should I stay with ice?

Heat is liable to make your knee swell, which isn’t good at this stage. You can use it on other parts of your leg, if it helps.

At 3 months post op we are still subject to random pains. Maybe you are doing more than your knee is ready for?

Maybe you are doing more than your knee is ready for?

I would seriously consider this. It's really easy to over do and end up in pain because of it where you are in recovery.

By the time we got home, I couldn't lift my leg on my own, it feels like it weighs a ton! Iced and elevated all evening, tried to sleep in bed-no way that was going to work, so back to my recliner. I'm hoping today might be a bit better, I'll let you know.

I go in Monday and I am sure from what I read that those first few days home can be rough. Remember the Bonesmart way and allow your knee to heal without adding stress to it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom