ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

TKR Knee done, what's next?

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
So sorry you had such a scare and then all the hours in the ED. Glad everything turned out to be negative. I hope you have a peaceful night.

OP
OP
M

Miggie

Country
@newlybionic I did have breakfast before she came, my bp was on the low side but not extremely so. I have to admit I don't keep myself well hydrated, I have to force myself to drink, I'm trying to be better at that. And I'm definitely still using my walker, also promised my husband that I would lay down at the first sign of light headedness! I really had him stressed out yesterday (and that's not easy). Hopefully the rest of recovery will be uneventful!

OP
OP
M

Miggie

Country
Things have been going along slowly. Pain isn't terrible, but I'm taking Tylenol regularly, saving the rx pain med for bedtime. Sleep is still not easy, I'm not a back sleeper and that's the only way my knee is happy. Staples come out Tuesday, then I'm hoping to try my side. Have been doing the exercises that PT gave me as tolerated. Let's see what this week brings.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Miggie By any chance are you taking any blood thinning medication? Your post reminded me that I passed out post LTHR. It turned out it was a side effect of the blood thinning meds.

Take care!

OP
OP
M

Miggie

Country
@Jaycey yes, I am on blood thinner med, I'm going to look up side effects. Thanks so much for the info!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Miggie Which blood thinner are you taking? Is it Xarelto/Rivaroxaban?

Any blood thinning med can cause light headed feelings and dizziness. They usually prescribe the same dose for everyone and some of us just can tolerate it. Please be very careful and move around slowly while you are on this medication. We don't want any falls!

sistersinhim

Country
We talked about the possibility of doing all my PT with her and not doing out patient pt. Has anyone else done this?
Many of us never took formal PT or did any exercises. I am one of them. I had 12 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals, and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took formal PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I used my knee as it was intended to be used by walking around to take care of my daily needs. As I healed I was able to do more. Icing and elevation were a huge part of my recovery.

Listen to your knee. It will tell you if you're doing too much by increased pain and swelling. When that happened to me, I found that resting, icing, and elevating helped. Your knee knows how to rehab itself without being told what to do.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I did not do OP PT for my second knee. I just continued to do some of the exercises at home (not too many to be totally truthful) and rode my recumbent exercise bike some and activities of daily living with some walking and my recovery was great.

OP
OP
M

Miggie

Country
@Jaycey I took my last dose of Xarelto, now I switch to aspirin. Thank you for the information, I did look up the side effects and saw that dizziness/fainting was one. And I have been very careful when up and around.

@sistersinhim, @leejaa thanks for sharing your PT experiences.

Yesterday was 2 weeks post op, staples came out. Nurse made sure I laying down, didn't want another passing out incident everything was fine. Knee feels tight, and there's swelling, ice machine is working overtime. I noticed a click in my knee when walking today, normal?

Woodstockhip

Country
Holy cow! Thank goodness you weren’t alone. I was thinking low blood pressure, too. I’ve been reading quite a bit lower than normal since my surgery a little over a week ago. Just glad you checked out ok.

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It's not at all unusual for your knee to make noises. It's normal and it happens because, instead of the relatively softer bone and cartilage, you now have hard metal and plastic parts moving over one another.
As long as it doesn't hurt, the noises are nothing to worry about.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

OP
OP
M

Miggie

Country
@Woodstockhip thanks for your concern, everything has been fine since. My BP has been lower since surgery, too.

I'm almost three weeks post op, and feel like I turned a corner of sorts. I have been able to sleep all night in bed the last two nights! Can't tell you how much better I feel with a decent night sleep. Have also been able to lift my leg into bed unaided. It's the little things that make me happy! :dancy:

OP
OP
M

Miggie

Country
Well, I guess I spoke too soon last night, after sleeping just 2 hours last night I was wide awake! Have been wide eyed ever since, so here I am. :mcoffee:. I know it's still early in recovery and will have ups and downs along the way. I told my husband that I don't think I was really mentally prepared for surgery, before thr I read everything I could, watched videos, and found this forum. This time I thought I knew what to expect, but was I wrong!! Wishing you all a good day.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Miggie Unfortunately recovery from TKR can be a bit more complex than from THR. You have all the swelling to deal with. And some knees are just "problem children".

Try and nap during the day. Sleep is an issue for most of our members no matter what procedure they are recovering from. Lots of ice and elevation. Still early days for you.

OP
OP
M

Miggie

Country
Today is three weeks post op, PT was here this morning and did some stretching, not too bad. She also did massage on the incision, hit a few very sore spots. I hit the ice as soon as she left! All in all, I guess things are going well.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You are healing and recovering and none of it is a linear progression. Knees get cranky at times and we just have to learn to listen to them and give them TLC with lots of ice and elevation.

I had my knees first so the hips were surprisingly easier since they required for me at least less motion and work. I also realized that I did not remember all the details of my recoveries in between surgeries especially the early stages.

Patience and a slow and steady progression without overdoing will get you through this. I hope your day is a peaceful one. Remember napping when it occurs is a wonderful thing.

sistersinhim

Country
There's no need to massage the incision. If the therapist says it's to break up scar tissue, that's just not true. What she/he is referring to is adhesions not normal scar tissue. You need scar tissue to close up your wounds. Without them, you'd always have an opened incision.

OP
OP
M

Miggie

Country
Sleep continues to be a rare thing my house, haven't gotten more then 3 to 4 hours a night. And it's broken sleep, not all in one stretch. I have been trying to nap during the day, but that's not working either. I think my knee feels worse because I'm not dealing with it very well because of the lack of sleep. I hope all that makes sense :yawn:

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
The lack of sleep is common after this surgery. Have you tried going to sleep with your knee wrapped in ice? Are you waking up because you’re in pain? The ice will help that and some medication taken before bed would also help. If you are trying to sleep in your bed maybe try to sleep in your recliner. Anywhere you can sleep is the place where you should go for the nighttime.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Lack of sleep was a challenge for me also. I used the recliner a lot when I could not get comfortable in bed. Some nights I slept some hours in bed and some in the recliner. The other thing that helped me fall asleep is listening to audio books.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kimberly1966
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom