Revision TKR Knee cap removal

Luvfurbee

Country
United States United States
I had my LKR 3 years ago with a revision 3 mos ago. I only had a partial knee cap due to previous injury. They are now going to remove it. It has broken free and causing horrific pain. Has anyone had this procedure? What can I expect that the Dr hasn't told me? I'm 50 and had my first major knee surgery at 13.

I've had both of my kneecaps removed, one in 1991 and the other in 1993. Back then I was put into an immobilizer for 6 weeks as my patella tendons healed. My scars were almost as long as my TKR scar. The recovery for the first few weeks was about the same as a TKR, but it improved much quicker than the TKR did. If I can be of any help, please ask away!

Please give us some more information about your knee's history. When did you have your replacement then your revision? Which knee was it? Will you be getting another revision when your kneecap is removed and do you have a date for that surgery? I will put these dates into your signature. Knowing these things helps us to advise you better.

I've had both of my kneecaps removed, one in 1991 and the other in 1993. Back then I was put into an immobilizer for 6 weeks as my patella tendons healed. My scars were almost as long as my TKR scar. The recovery for the first few weeks was about the same as a TKR, but it improved much quicker than the TKR did. If I can be of any help, please ask away!

Please give us some more information about your knee's history. When did you have your replacement then your revision? Which knee was it? Will you be getting another revision when your kneecap is removed and do you have a date for that surgery? I will put these dates into your signature. Knowing these things helps us to advise you better.
My left knee was replaced Jan 2018 then a revision of left knee Sept. 2000. There is will no revision after the removal. I'm scheduled for surgery Feb 8.

Has life been much different after removal?

My left knee was replaced Jan 2018 then a revision of left knee Sept. 2000. There is will no revision after the removal. I'm scheduled for surgery Feb 8.
Did you mean September 2020 for the Revision knee replacement, @Luvfurbee - and what date in September?

The main difference I had in my knees was they became weaker. I am unable to squat which is bad for the knees anyway. After the removals, the doctor told me no jumping on trampolines or skydiving. Everything else I was to let my knees be my guide.

Since my removals were over 25 years ago, the surgery should be much easier than what I had. Talk to your doctor about your doubts. He knows more about the up to date things than I do.

Knee cap removal sounds quite scary. I had both of my prosthetic knee caps removed about 5 years ago. Right was redone about 4 years ago. Left was supposed to be tomorrow but canceled due to Covid. Good luck!

I never had my kneecaps replaced. How did they replace yours, @Cjackso21, when the patella tendon has to be shortened for the knee to extend correctly. It seems like they would be no room for a new patella.

Hello,
The replacement is actually just the addition of the prosthetic cap to the my actual resurfaced knee caps. But the right original cementless TKR did not ”stick” so they did another TKR and knew that the kneecap may not work. So it did not and when they did the scan to check they found my left prosthetic cementles pegs were causing my actual kneecap to deteriorate. So they removed both prosthetic kneecaps. My right continued to hurt so they finally replace the prosthetic with a tantalum insert thing. They never fixed my left. So I have had a “raw” kneecap has gotten worse and worse and now needs to be fixed. So surgery for left and right for my ligament repair, but now on hold due to Covid. Hope that all makes sense!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom