Knee cap movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knee cap

Hi all,

About 2.5 years after my full knee replacement I have started to have movement of my knee cap. If I extend my leg my knee cap seems to move over to one side really far. I'm worried that it might be a dislocation. Does anyone else know what this might be? The only other symptoms I have are that it clicks very loudly.

Any information appreciated...

Hi Knee cap, welcome to BoneSmart!

Actually your knee cap is supposed to have some lateral (sideways) movement in it. It isn't actually joined to any other bone and is simply a bone within a tendon, in this case, the quads tendon. The quads is the big muscle on the front of your thigh that goes over the joint and is fixed into the top of the tibia. So when your knee is in full extension, especially with the heel on a stool of coffee table, then the muscle goes slack and the knee cap can easily be moved from side to side.

BUT the movement should only be about ½" to ¾". If it has suddenly got a lot more, then this indicates that your quads muscle is out of condition.

Also, if the knee cap slips back into its normal position when you let go of it, then that's ok. But if it sticks at the extreme of the movement and you have to push it back, then you would be advised to check with your doctor.

As far as the clicking goes, there is some excellent stuff here that mention that issue and should put your mind at rest on that.

Welcome knee cap. Hope you get you knee cap sorted soon. I am 9 months out from a RTKR and also live in Canada, in Ontario. Where are you?

Thanks for your comments. I'm from British Columbia. Thank you for the detail Josephine - that was helpful to me. I am going to get my referral to my surgeon who has unfortunately moved. Do you think it matters if I go to him or the local surgeon?

My situation is quite complicated I know that my quads are very strong - my surgeon has mentioned that they are in really good shape (I hope I am not sounding boastful but I work hard at staying healthy!) I work out 4 days a week at a gym doing execises my PT gave me as well as 45min to 1 hour on the stationary bike. I also swim laps minimum of twice a week for 1.5 hours. I also do a very gentle yoga and meditation class. I would love to be out walking with my wife as I used to but I am in to much pain. The pain is not from my total knee replacement knee but from my other leg...and here's where it gets complicated. I had a hemorrhaegic stroke in my 50's I am now 69. Which left the right side of my body affected. There is a heaviness etc. but I work hard to keep it fit. After my total knee replacement on my left knee my right leg began to be in intensive pain where I had difficulty walking or moving it. This only started after my knee replacement. I have a feeling my old knee was better equipped to endure the greater strain put on it by the right legs heaviness etc. (unfortunately after a sports injury in the 80's I had surgery which removed all the cartiledge in my left knee so 25 years on I was in pain and needed the total knee replacement on my left knee)
Have you had any experience dealing with someone who's had knee replacement post stroke to an un-affected side?
Of course given my situation and outcome my doctors, family and friends have wondered whether I should have had the knee replacement. It did relieve the chronic pain I was feeling in my left knee, but it also triggered pain in my right leg. I feel my circumstances are quite unique however and would not encourage anyone in pain not to consider knee replacement.

From what you have said, my take on it all is this ...

It doesn't seem that unique to me in that it's highly likely your right knee may now require a replacement as well. It happens
often and maybe that it was on the way anyway - one knee had to be first!

As for them saying you shouldn't have had it done - balderdash! They can say that because they didn't have to suffer the pain you were suffering! And you are going to still be in pain if your knee needs an MUA. Stands to reason. Nothing whatsoever to do with the ultimate success of the TKR.
You don't let others put doubt in your mind about this. Look at the overall improvement you have had. That's the key.

As for the MUA, personally, I would sooner stick with the first guy. After all
, he did put it in!

Welcome Knee Cap,
Have you had the right knee checked for injury recently? You may have a bone on bone situation you have or had not been aware of in that leg. I would suggest you have the knee joint checked in that leg, if this is indeed where the pain is coming from. It could be the replacement knee hurt so badly, you were not aware of the pain in the other.
Best,
Crystal

I think it just caught up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks