knee bend

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmith9915

I had my 2 week check-up yesterday and my OS was not pleased with me. I'm 13 days from my surgery date and I'm 2* from being straight, but I can't bend but 89*. He said your not doing what I told you to do, are you? I said my PT is telling me what to do. HE SAID NO---I gave you one thing to do 3 times a day for 30 sec. X 5 and you are not doing it. He wants me to be able to bend my knee all the way before I go back in 4 weeks. Has anyone's OS ever been so set about the bending of the knee? I do understand I told him I want to Referee Basketball this coming season, but I didn't think bending was that big of a deal. So I'm now working on the bending of my knee and my PT just left and he about killed me. My PT said if your OS wants this thing to bend then we will get it done.

You've got to be kidding! What is his problem?? :skp:

Sounds like you are doing wonderful. My OS goal was 90 by 4 weeks. Guess what, I'm still not there at 13 weeks (NOT DAYS), so I'm doing a manipulation on Monday.

One of the reasons I choose my surgeon was his bedside manner. The other was for his skill. There is another one who is equally as good in the same practice that I simply won't see because he is so rude!

Sorry your pt was so aggressive. Tell him to take it easy on you. Get some rest. Make sure you ice both front and back of your knee and elevate it.

I did have an aggressive home PT. He was around 6' 8". Had me moving pretty good before I tore the meniscus at 4 weeks post-op on my left knee. I always took my pain meds before he came. He would call the morning of pt and let me know about when he would be there and I would make sure I took them at least an hour before he arrived. So I know how you feel. My 15 year old daughter Rachel would come in the bedroom and hold my hand while he worked my leg. She kept her eye on him, she thought he was mean to make her momma cry. I told her he wasn't hurting me, it was my knee that was hurting.

Believe it or not, I am going to request him again with my LTKR. Although it was tough during that time, he knew what he was doing and was very creative with ideas to make it work. I actually had better movement back then. :pzld: I've worked with several other PTs and he was definitely the best.

Hang in there! It will get better in time. The pain won't be as great once the surgical pain is gone. Will be praying for you. Keep us posted on how things go.

Hopefully with some hard work and patience, you will add more ROM. It is still early days yet.
I found standing in the bathroom after my shower, if I put my foot up on the closed toilet seat with my foot flat and tried to bend the knee it was helpful.
The swelling does prevent ROM, but do remember to continue to ice, elevate, and if necessary wear those compression stockings.

I'm upset for you that he spoke to you that way! I was only 90 degrees at 2 weeks and didn't even start PT until around 4 weeks! What is his problem! You still have plenty of time to get there and no doubt your knee is still swollen from the surgery so flexion would be difficult anyway.

However, it has to be said that flexion is an important issue with any knee surgery. It's often how we gauge the success of the operation. But I think you sound like you'll get there. Just don't let that man intimidate you again!

rsmith, you're already on the other side? Where did the time go? Weren't we all just talking to you about the surgery and you being able to be a ref once it was all said and done? I assume it went well. Congratulations!

Look at me. Read my lips. Your surgeon is on crack. There. I said it. I'm trying to figure out another reason for his funky attitude. And, alas, I can't think of one.

When it comes to recovery, your physical therapist is the person in the know. The doctor knows how to fix the joint. The doctor knows little or nothing about the recovery process. The physical therapists see us knee replacement people all the time. They know what they're doing.

Don't let the doctor mess with your head. If you're driven to get back on the court, you'll get there. It's time for you to start listening to your body and your physical therapist, first.

I would have been happy with 90 at 2 weeks. Dont worry you seem to be doing fine. Keep up the good work.....Tell your Dr, get his done see If he does better...just kidding...

Thanks for the infor. I was starting to think I had turn into a wimp. My PT says I'm doing great at this point, but if the OS thinks I need more bend we are going to work on it. I have a great PT, young man worked for Flyers NHL for 4 or 5 years before meeting his wife. She's a PT also in one of our hospitals in town. Very good young man and he loves his work. I ask him if he like going around working on old people at there home better than working with the NHL, he said yes because we will do what he say to do. The NHL players would not do what he said alot of the time.

Five weeks out I was only bending to 55 unassisted and 60 after a rub-down/electric stimulation from my PT. I had to have manipulation.

Now I'm three and a half months out and can bend to 100-ish degrees. I'm done with PT. I haven't seen my surgeon since mid-May and am not scheduled to see him till September 3rd.

I think you're doing great. Your OS seems a bit on the rabid side.

I guess I am lucky, and didn't really have these issues. I could straighten the knee the week after the TKR, and bend it to 90 within a week or so. Now at ten weeks and a couple days it bends as much as the unoperated knee, whatever that is. 130 deg, maybe? I haven't bothered measuring, it's just not an issue. It bends all the way.

The only thing that I think that I have done that helped was that I was pretty aggressive about getting out and about, and back to my life. I forced myself to step up onto the curb with the painful leg first, etc.

Now I am just slowly working on the strength training for the new knee. Still have pain in the lower quad, but I have a pretty high pain threshold.

Rsmith....I'm going to echo what the others have said. You are DEFINITELY NOT a WIMP!!! You are doing fabulous and that doctor of yours needs a chill pill. Next time tell him you are doing your best and then work directly with the therapist. They know how hard to push and when to pull back (most of the time, anyway). And if you feel like the physical therapy is a bit too aggressive (you'll know....you'll hurt like heck for a day or more afterwards), you need to communicate that to the PT also.

When I had therapy, I was constantly talking with my therapist....telling her what muscles I felt were getting a workout as we went through exercises, asking questions about what each routine was going to do....how often should I do it on non-therapy days....and showing off accomplishments (therapists LOVE to see their patients improvements!).

Do this and you will be just fine. And just know that your doc will change his tune one day when HE has a knee replaced!!

Hi RS How are you doing today....Just checking in. Be happy with what you have and do the best you can. Sounds like you have a nice hearted PT Hang on to him..lol..... .I think you will be just fine, Hang in there, Post anytime.,We have all been thru it one way or another............

Smith,
Don't let your OS get you down. I thought my Rom was way low too because OS wanted more. Well guess what after he did a MUA on them and he could not get them pass 105 he is now thinking thats enough for me to get too. It isn't and I will keep working on it but for me not him. So you too must do this for yourself. I will pray that you get to where you need to be.

Calling, better than an actual number, is the ROM you have achieved so far enough to enable you to do your normal activities? I haven't really picked up on that in your posts.

RSmith
You do not have to have painful PT to get the rom. You just have to do the stretches everyday and move. I am doing good and am at 3 months, just had my 3 month check. the doc. just eye balled my flexion and said to keep up the good work.

I am able to do what I want, so life is good. Have no idea what my rom is now. I think around 115. But I can go back to a normal life and that is what it is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member