TKR Knee#2's Recovery Thread

Thanks @winemama ! No one else can begin to understand or appreciate the particular woes or problems that come with this surgery, I find also that once you’re walking especially w/out support cane or sticks everyone just assumes you’re back to normal. Another good reason to take out in public.. I still dread being knocked over ... :scare:

Well I think I must’ve overdone it yesterday
and or today, weather is finally nice in SD :tada: and decided to walk around the block couple times to get better sleep, all seemed to be fine until tonight..
My oldest grandson (17) came over to help me organize the downstairs and of course I helped him and moved a few boxes, but now even after managing stairs fairly well after 10 weeks I noticed my knee is stiffer than usual. It was going so well that I haven’t used my ice packs for some time but planning to take one to bed along w extra pillows to elevate. I thought I was so much better! :cry:

It's crazy how little over the 'too much' line it takes to cause angry knees and cramping legs isn't it? I did 'too much' yesterday again and I'm not even sure what I did!

Goodness. It’s been 13 weeks yesterday. It seems like forever and feels like I should be about healed since my scar looks so good.. I’m walking just fine with hardly any pain but today I spent couple hours cleaning/organizing in kitchen and resting every so often but tonight my leg is achy and restless. I almost feel guilty for adding to my recovery thread since it has been almost three months but tonight I ended up taking Tramadol to settle this leg in order to get some sleep before 3 am. I didn’t expect this tonight since I’ve been doing so well but apparently the little bit of extra standing and walking didn’t agree with my knee. I haven’t gone back to pool yet but was intending to make that my next big victory. I see the cardiologist who installed my emergency pacemaker tomorrow along with 3 month check up. Two new knees and pacemaker. Should be set for few more years!

Thankfully I slept through night and feeling better.. my sciatica however is acting up on other side :gaah: so will be dealing with that as well. Growing older gracefully is not easy.....

I just returned from my appointments and bit of shopping and feeling exhausted. Wondering what “normal “ day in those who had their TKR done about same time (early May) is like? I realize age difference is factor but I’m thinking I need to add more vitamins and supplements to my diet.. thoughts? :sad: Thought by this week I’d feeling lots more energetic.. at this rate water walking for 45 minutes will do me in!

Three months is still early days, no matter what our age is. It’s only 25% healed, so the energy drain is still in full swing. :console2:

I made a decision couple weeks ago to cut my very long hair (over 16”) to bobbed style.. turned out my stylist chopped it badly in back so I ended up using my own tools to fix it. :thud: It looks better now but questioning my decision to cut most of it off after 4 years of growing it especially during this emotionally charged recovery! :whistle:
At least it’s easier to take care of. Especially this summer.

Attachments

• 04C5089C-0D59-465E-BE71-14E3A8233AD5.jpeg
    04C5089C-0D59-465E-BE71-14E3A8233AD5.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 237
  • F4135CC4-544E-41D4-BC53-68EE938BAAAE.jpeg
    F4135CC4-544E-41D4-BC53-68EE938BAAAE.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
I like your new hairstyle.

If you decide you don't want to continue with it, you can grow it longer again but, for now, a change was probably a good thing.

@knee#2 I like the new cut.
But I understand about making questionable decisions during recovery. I thought I would have some repairs/maintenance work done to the exterior of my house, but I seem to not have chosen well. I didn't do enough research into the companies and wasted quite a bit of money and have been upset and overwhelmed, too. I should have waited until my mind is clearer. (But who knows when that will be?)

@knee#2 : I love your new 'do'. If I didn't look like Buster Brown with that hairstyle, I'd cut mine too. It has been an abnormally hot summer and my long hair has been up in a scrunchy for most of it.

@Neesie @floridoris thanks for your comments! I vacillated back and forth even before the surgery.. trying to decide which was easier. I opted to leave it long and just had nurses aide braid in back so I wouldn’t have to worry about it for while. But later after I finally got home due to the emergency pacemaker it was difficult to raise my arm, so I made the decision to cut it. Now I’m second guessing myself since it will require more upkeep! It’s extremely thick. my stylist was uncooperative in solutions and I felt helpless.. I’ve done my best to finish the style and keep bit of length :tada: hopefully this fall we will have more clarity and feel like ourselves.

5341BD45-DABE-40C4-9FEE-CEA435D3B784.jpeg My thought is as long as you can pony tail it you're ok. Mine is long, I pin it up, clip it back, tie it up, even needing a wash I can make it do-able. I don't have the heart to spend too much time on it so it will stay as it is. This is mine...

@knee2 We're close in surgery date and both lefties!

@Benay my hair was about your length.. yep I just put it up most days. Kinda missing it sometimes and find myself fiddling with the sides which are longer. You look so good with your long hair! Mine is so very thick and my stylist never made an attempt to take any bulk out so to speak.. i was so frustrated since I couldn’t even wash it by myself.. my left arm continues to bother me (nerve endings healing
From pacemaker) So good to find someone else that had procedure done about same time! Yes lefties! Have you had the other knee done or are you good? My energy level is in the bottle end lots days..

Thanks @Ladyala ! I’ve been redhead for years but wanted bit of blonde to blend with the gray!

Just one, envy you both. Right it's starting to complain...

Another Long Haired Lefty!
A lot of my hair fell out from a different surgery and then being on Wafarin. I've been thinking of cutting it, but I never do because I've had long hair all my life and I have no idea how one cares for short hair, and how I'd ever keep it out of my face!! Mine is about waist length.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie