Knee Infection* Knee #2 Vent

Congrats on your retirement. Now you can heal without the added pressure of figuring out the return to work.

I was released from in home PT at 6 wks. Yesterday I visited with an outpatient PT. As I explained to her my initial PT was my decisions as to what exercises to do and not agressive at all. My extension is 0 and ROM is 117 with some swelling limiting it. Pretty good at 6 wks. Interesting that adding more exercising and more walking the past 2 weeks has prevented more ROM progress. Funny how that works huh. Anyway due to 8 wks of 50% weight bearing and issues with knee for two yrs post original LTKR, my quads are weaker then I want. The visit with the new PT was to see if she had additional exercises that might help attain strength in the quads. She did strength tests and was surprised I was as strong as I am. That doesn't help me get out of a chair or off the toilet though. She was very knowledgeable and did not push me at all. I also asked about gait help which we will address next visit. The rest is up to me! Now to determine how much and how often I exercise, all of us know that drill!

@Starsfan22 Sounds like your PT is a gem! Well done on setting the expectations from the start. I think your ROM is pretty good considering the non-weight bearing period.

Anyone think your knee tells you to just stop and rest? I've upped my exercise the last 2 wks after getting new ones from a physical therapist. After a complete walk through Walmart with several stops along the way, my knee was not happy. 10 wks and still my knee yells at me if I only slightly overdo it. I still limp with pain occasionally and that really bothers me. Ii guess rest, ice and elevating is my afternoon plan. I wanted to do several exercises but will settle for chest weights. I'm looking forward to a big birthday weekend and I'm meeting my new grandson! I need something to look forward to, so tired of getting down because my knee gets sore and painful with exercise. Can't wait for summer ☺

Your knee has been through a lot in the last few months, I know it’s frustrating to have to slow down, but so is the pain of overdoing. :console2:

I think we all get anxious to get on with life, especially when we have good days. Ibuprofen helps alot on days I struggle. I'm progressing and doing much better than my surgeries and difficulties would suggest. I'm blessed and should focus more on that fact. Bring on spring so I can get outside.

I also deal with fear. If I commit to something in the future I fear I won't be able to do it. So far everytime I've expierenced this I've been fine. I'm shell-shocked from protecting myself, I guess. Success should take care of this, I hate this feeling!

Anyone think your knee tells you to just stop and rest?

Oh yes, most certainly!

I'm longing for spring/summer too and to get out in the yard. Long evenings out on the patio, relaxing...:cheers:

So here I am going into my 12th week and my knee is doing well. I have two concerns, the first one is strengthening my quads. They've been weak I guess since my knee issues started. I still need arm help to get up from a sitting position. I'm tall with leg length being my major length. My PT has given me exercises to help me build quads but if I do too many, well you know.... my second issue is going down stairs. It seems my knee is stiff and painful when I practice. I am icing after but it's frustrating. Are my weak quads causing this issue or a contributing factor? I'm guessing I need to put more effort into exercises for both issues. Problem is, my knee feels pretty good most of the time and causing it to hurt is not what I want. Any suggestions?

This is probably not what you want to hear, but, you are “only” 12 weeks post op from your latest surgery, after an infection. If it was me, I would give myself more healing time before doing any exercise that would increase my pain level.

I know you are tired of being in healing mode, but, that’s where you are. Your body is doing the best it can to heal.
my second issue is going down stairs. It seems my knee is stiff and painful when I practice.
Going downstairs can take a long time to do again, and I’m not surprised it’s painful for you at this point. :console2:

So here I am going into my 12th week and my knee is doing well. I have two concerns, the first one is strengthening my quads. They've been weak I guess since my knee issues started. I still need arm help to get up from a sitting position. I'm tall with leg length being my major length. My PT has given me exercises to help me build quads but if I do too many, well you know.... my second issue is going down stairs. It seems my knee is stiff and painful when I practice. I am icing after but it's frustrating. Are my weak quads causing this issue or a contributing factor? I'm guessing I need to put more effort into exercises for both issues. Problem is, my knee feels pretty good most of the time and causing it to hurt is not what I want. Any suggestions?
Yes, your quads will be weaker but they will get stronger. I'm sure climbing the stairs has helped restart the comatose left quad, Going downstairs is still a trial and I can't see that improving for a while. No problem. My quads were used to leg extensions but I couldn't do any with my left leg after the op until two weeks ago. Suddenly, the left quad 'woke up' and I now use the machine in the gym three times a week. I am still using the knuckles as an aid to get out of low chairs and will probably continue doing so for a while. Again, no problem.
It will all come together.

@Jockette and @Scaredycat10 ,thank you both for the reminder it is still early.... reality checks are so fun huh? I need to give myself permission to be patient but at the same time do what I can to get stronger.

I had my three month checkup this week. Everything is on schedule or better according to the intern my OS uses for followup. X-rays, numbers and scar are all good. I knew this of course but hearing this from a professional made my day. The only challenge that I am still dealing with is quad strength. It is getting better and he showed me a couple of additional exercises to try. I know having to deal with a spacer and walker for 8 wks before the tkr recovery affected my quad strength. Getting up from chair/toilet is still a struggle but gradually improving. Stairs are still difficult but improving weather will allow me to use my outside deck to practice on. I hope additional walking will help me with my stamia which is not good after being inside for literally months.

All in all the only real issue is fear of the infection that caused this 6 month marathon. Dr said it would have shown itself with pain by now.... I laughed as the infection took two yrs to cause enough pain to start this process. I'm taking it upon myself to have my internest to check my CRP and Sed rate every 6 months. I want to catch it eary if it recurs.

Thanks to everyone for the help given to get me through this. I needed your support and knowledge. My faith helped me alot, I'm so thankful for a positive outcome!

I'll still visit this board and hope I can offer help and encouragement like I received. After three tkrs I'm almost an expert!

I'm taking it upon myself to have my internest to check my CRP and Sed rate every 6 months. I want to catch it eary if it recurs.
I think this is a very good idea, if nothing else, to ease your mind. Catching it early is the smart way to go.

I see this was a while ago. I hope you have moved on in this process and are doing better.
I too have an infection. Had the hardware removed March 8th and ended 6 weeks of IV antibiotics yesterday. Now waiting two weeks for blood work to see if infection returns.
I emphasize with you about nursing care as I experienced same. I understand health care is understaffed but dealing with a serious situation and pain just doesn’t make that ok.
Again, I hope you’re doing better.

Today is the one year anniversary of my knee replacement after revision due to infection. It was the fourth surgery in two yrs and hopefully my final one. My revised knee is doing so well and I thank God I had this site to guide me through. The encouragement, info on what to expect and love we all feel here is awesome. I feel so grateful for everyone here and want to encourage new users to trust the advice you get here. Yes, we all heal on our own timeline but we do get better. I feel even after a year, two yrs with my right knee, I can and will get stronger!

What a wonderful update! It is great to read you're doing so well after such a rough journey.
Happy One Year Anniversary!

We appreciate your kind words in regard to the forum and also the encouragement you shared. There are so many soft hearted and supportive members making BoneSmart an awesome resource.
I wish you good health and many blessings in the New Year and thank you for stopping by.

Please notice that we have moved your post above to your original recovery thread, so your recovery information is contained in one place, making it easier for you to reflect back on. Your update is an uplifting continuation of your story and fits well in your thread.

All the best!
@Starsfan22

Is there a place we can donate ice machines? Those without insurance that must purchase shouldn't have to make a choice. I have two

That's a good question! :chinstroke: I will ask.....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie