Knee Infection* Knee #2 Vent

@patriciad , where can I find that tea? I've managed with the stool softener previously but it's been a struggle, so I'd like to try the tea.

I think you can buy that tea in any grocery, or similar, store.

Called Dr ofc yesterday afternoon for an explanation on why I was given half as much hydrocodone as with previous 2 tkrs/spacer insertion. I did ask for the higher dose.. Nurse called this morning and said Dr would call in the normal dose but would not prescribe more and I would be referred to a pain control Dr if I felt I needed more! What? I'm on day 3 of recovery from stage 2 tkr revision. It's like they are accusing me of drug abuse. If there's any abuse here, it's theirs not mine. This particular Dr did not preform my first two tkrs, he did preform my 1st stage clean out, appliance removal and spacer placement. I was off the pain medication for that procedure in week 2. I have no history of taking more pain meds than normal. I'm guessing the higher dose he has prescribed at my request are going to be a very limited number.

Who is doing this? The states who are being pressured by the federal government as a result of big pharm abuses? Is it the Dr's fearing lawsuits from patients? All I want is too not be in terrible pain for the first week and find myself having to beg for that right. I resent this Dr making me feel bad about that. He's lucky I don't see him for a couple of weeks because frankly I'm ticked!

It's like the teacher punishing the whole class for the behavior of 1 or 2. My last TKR the doctor prescribed 10mg of oxy for several weeks, this time I got 5mg enough to cover 1 week and an additional 15 pills when those ran out (I used 1 pill at night when I woke at 3am to get back to sleep). Doesn't help you but whatever docs are doing is consistent.

@hawk2go I received 30, 10mg on Oct 1st for my spacer placement! When patients stop getting needed surgery because their not allowed pain management this will stop.

I had a similar situation with my cleanout surgery... I came home Thursday evening, still in a lot of pain, taking it very carefully, as it often makes me sick, & we realized there was not even enough to get through the weekend if I took it every few hours as prescribed. ( Note: this was from the hospitalist dr. - when we called my surgeon, he gave me a full prescription.). Same on my zophran for the nausea, they didn’t send me home with near enough. ( yet several years ago, I was given a large prescription for a dental procedure, & only took one, to get me through the night.)
@ starsfan22, I’m so sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully, they will resolve it soon. Recovery can be tough enough without hassles & yet another Dr visit!

Catalina, he gave me a few more, we'll see how many tomorrow when hubby picks them up.

So yesterday I was feeling pretty good. Decided I should do a few exercises that I haven't attempted yet. After all, I'm 5-6 days from surgery depending on how you count. Of course I'm paying for it today, soooo very stiff! Not that painful so maybe lots of icing will get me back to the optimist I was yesterday. Will I ever learn? I've decided to put up my tree. So what if it takes me 4 days to do it. This decision was made yesterday during optimism time. We all need something to look forward to, and this is my goal for the coming week. Have a pain-free Sunday!

Entering week 2! So happy to have week one behind me. I'm feeling well enough to get off narcotics, we'll see how that goes, it's only been a little more than 24 hrs. I'm hoping to get in a little more PT this week, last week it set me back and I don't believe that's in my knees best interest. My knee looks as well as it can with staples in it. I've been instructed to keep it covered, clean and dry. It still bleeds a little, I guess that's OK. I can't wait to get my staples out, I know that will help with exercises and pain. I'm also using my cane a little, I'd love to put the walker away. I'm not quite there yet. I really don't recall from my other knee surgeries when I knew it was time to change over to a cane, any help? I find this site and all of the contributors very helpful and knowledgeable, thanks for all the help!

Hey @Starsfan22! Glad you're doing well. I moved from the walker when I could use it while standing straight and leaning minimally. So walking straight, no limp and no significant weight bearing dependence. My home PT agreed when I told him I was ready and he watched my gait. I stopped using my cane around the house first with similar goals. Good steady gait, no limping or real weight bearing dependence on the cane. With that said, I still used my cane as I was mastering normal stair climbing and when I went outside. I just recently, within the last week, started leaving the cane at home for my walks outside and I no longer need it for stairs.

Hi again, Starsfan22. My 2nd surgery ( the cleanout) was 3 weeks ago yesterday. I’m feeling just a Little better each day. This time, I’m trying hard not to find myself in ODIC ☺️. I have found, this surgery hit me harder than my TKD. I do wear out faster, it seems. Possibly the general anasthesia this time, or the fact I had an infection? Hard to say. Today when I saw my Infectious Diseases Dr, she said the infection, and the antibiotic can really affect your body. But I do feel so much better than when I first got home. I think maybe second surgeries just take a heavy toll, and I try to remember the advice of one of the advisors on this forum: “your body is focusing most of it’s energy on healing. There’s just not much left for anything else”. I think it may be a slower process in some areas. Interestingly enough, I am finding some of the exercises going well ( maybe muscle memory?), and I don’t think I have lost a lot of ground.

Today is my first day back at my local PT. So we’ll see how that goes.
Well, I had to cut this short! I’ve been to PT. This time, I had a new therapist to me, & was a bit nervous. But I really like him, & will be alternating PT with him, & my regular therapist, as her schedule is packed. She had filled him in on me, & I told him how the home PT was a bit aggressive the last 2 times. He agreed that doesn’t really do much good. He wants me to work on my extension, I believe it’s about 6. I am walking inside without much assistance, but if I’m Really tired, or sometimes if I get up in the night, I use my cane. Also outside, anytime. Or when I eventually get out around people, I will have it with me, in case I lose my balance. You are still pretty early on, & it seems every knee has it’s own schedule. I’m thinking your progress will be steady. In a week, you will be stronger. The “tireds” will still hit, no doubt, but that’s just your body’s way of saying “ slow down!”. This time, I’m trying hard to listen to those messages. Btw, you mentioned staples.... that’s what I had this time, I was dreading removal, but it was fine. ( I also had encouragement from Hawk2go). It was easy. You seem to be progressing really well, in spite of all the challenges you have had. You’re quite an inspiration. Getting late here, so I will just say, “ have a good night, especially some good sleep”.

@Catalien45, glad to hear your doing so well. I'm thinking about in home PT this time. Just not into being around a bunch of people with Covid still a threat. Getting a virus would be a real setback and I want to go forward.

Still haven't decided what to do about tax season and considering retirement, sigh. On a super exciting note.... I'm going to be a grandmother for the 4th time today!

I have a new one also, he’s 3 weeks old. :roseshwr:
That's awesome! It's hard to put them down at that age. Cuddly has to be some sort of good therapy.

All is well with my new grandson and his mom. Unfortunately he will be 300 miles from my home.

I'm up with angry, hurting knee tonight as you can see by timestamp. Guess I overdid it yesterday. Tylenol not controlling pain so I'll try ice and elevating. First middle of the night pity party here! I'm suddenly tired of all this recovery from the infection and all that goes with it. Tomorrow will be a better day....

Sending hugs for both comments. :console2:

My new grandson is about that distance from me, too. I spent 2 weeks with them and came home last weekend. I took a video so I could watch it from home, and feel like I’m still with him. He may be much bigger when I see him again in person.

I‘m sure you are very tired of recovery, with all you‘ve been through. Sending hugs and prayers that once you recover from this infection you’ll be done and able to do all those things you want to do. :console2: :prayer:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts