Knee Infection* Knee #2 Vent

Making cards, what a wonderful idea. Good for you - the recovery road it long, curvy and bumpy but you've found something to focus on rather than your knee.

Using a walker in a kitchen is tricky. I had a 'regular' walker and a roller walker. The roller has a bigger footprint, but I found putting the dinner plate on the seat and walking to the tablet quite satisficing - something I could do for myself. (Just a little bit of pride there!) But I felt I was able to help. Now I keep the walker in the garage and if we have a neighborhood talk I use it as my lawn chair.

I'm four and a half weeks out and in the same boat. I think I am just doing too much, even though it's much less than I did after my first TKR.

The therapist told me to just get out and walk but it's all I can do to go around our property once then go back inside and ice up.

My spouse keeps saying "so-and-so said she didn't have hardly any pain at all" after TKR or back surgery or fill in the blank. :what:

I spend most of my time in the bedroom looking at youtube and listening to podcasts.
Hi - I’m fairly new to this forum, my Surgery was Oct 6, just over 2 weeks ago. My bone-on-bone pain had finally become intolerable, & I finally began to pursue TKR. My husband, through a lot of research online, found the facility, and Dr. we settled on. On our first visit for the diagnosis & subsequent scheduling, his PA told us both: “ the first 2 weeks are TOUGH. There will be a lot of pain - we will help you manage it, but it will be hard. Do no let anyone tell you otherwise.” Then she looked at him: “ she’s tough”. ( I suppose referring to my x-ray compared to a “ normal” knee.)I Am tough, and a bit stubborn. I generally handle pain pretty well ( I’m stubborn). But, like she told us, this is tough. Painful, sometimes very bad. We appreciate her being so upfront. Our daughter has a friend who has had different experiences- but, as I keep seeing, no two people, or recoveries are the same. And they are all hard initially, sometimes for longer. Not sure exactly what route my personal journey along this road of recovery takes, but, I’ll get there. Btw, I relate so well to your experience of tiring out so fast -Extremely irritating when I’m just not one to be inactive, would Much prefer to be baking, out walking with my husband, working in our garden, or playing with our grandson, but...... here we are! . So. Rest. Accept this pace for a while. And look forward to our new knees that don’t constantly hurt. I’ll even take a knee with Some pain, this is worth it. I hope you will be feeling much better soon, and just remember.. you be You.

@Catalien45 , you have a great attitude. Since this is my third surgery I know there will be both bumps in the road and times of elation. I look forward to the elation and hopefully am prepared for the bumps! Tears and laughter are both a part of this trip.

New issues.....anyone have any help with using a walker for a prolonged time. I'm looking at 6-8wks, (three down), then again after replacement. My hands are killing me, I guess because I can only put 50% weight on revised knee and therefore more pressure on hands? Shoulders aren't real happy either. It seems there's something new to deal with daily, weekly etc. I bought pads for arms of walker, not sure it helps or just creates more friction. Any help would be appreciated!

I’m so sorry that if it isn’t one thing, it’s another. I don’t know what to tell you, other than try to relax when you’re using the walker, if you can, and if that might even help. I didn’t have long term use with my walker, but I did realize in the first few days that I was gripping it very tightly out of general misery and struggle to walk. I had to remind myself to “lighten up.” I’m sure that’s much harder when you can’t put full weight on your legs like I could. :console2:

My C-reactive protein has tripled in the past week. I'm itchy, hands burn and tingle while infusing. Obvious having adverse reactions to my antiobiotics. Knee is hurting more and if I take tramadol I get a migraine. Fun times! I've put in a call to my infectious disease Dr, we'll see if we need to make changes. I've felt awful this past week so I'm not surprised my numbers aren't optimal.

So my infectious disease Dr wants to switch one of my antibiotics to Levaquin/levofloxacin. I know nothing about this drug other than what one of my friends experienced with it. Two ruptured tendons. One in her shoulder and one in her eye. She freaked out when I told her this is the drug he wanted to use. What do I do? How are we suppose to make intelligent decisions? I'm so tired of this knee....

@Starsfan22 Levaquin is serious antibiotic usually used when others don’t work, never firstline. Some dangerous side effects too, including ruptured tendons. Tell infectious doc your fears and ask if there are other options. There might not be, it does save lives too

I agree with kate9797 that you need to discuss your concerns with your doctor before making any changes in your medication. It's impossible for us to tell you whether you should or shouldn't take the newly recommended drug. But you should be made aware of the risks associated with it, how long you'll be taking it, and the reasons why your doctor feels it is the antibiotic you need right now. With what your friend has experienced, you have a right to be concerned and to receive information from your doctor. Tendon rupture as well as nerve problems are a risk, especially for patients over the age of 60. You might ask if there are any other options that might have less risk for your body.

The drug requires that you consider other medications you might be taking to ensure that it works properly, so if you do take it, be sure to carefully review and follow the printed material that comes with the prescription.

Please let us know how your discussion goes with your doctor and what you decide to do.

I will talk with Dr this morning.
Pain med question.....I can't seem to find answer to question I have about acetaminophen/ ibuprofen daily limits. I know the acetaminophen is no more than 2000mg in 24 hrs. If I take ibuprofen is that counted in that 2000 limit?

Dr decided to slow down my antibiotic infusion of vancomycin, doubled the time frame. He says I have Redman syndrome which is a group of reactions because infusion is to fast for me. This morning I took first longer time frame and nothing changed, if anything the symptoms have lasted longer. I'm due to take second dose around 6pm, message to Dr's ofc is not being returned. My lab results from yesterday morning were suppose to be reported last evening..?..nothing. So frustrated! And itchy, burning, red all over. Benadryl is not working.

I can't seem to find answer to question I have about acetaminophen/ ibuprofen daily limits. I know the acetaminophen is no more than 2000mg in 24 hrs. If I take ibuprofen is that counted in that 2000 limit?
The maximum dosage of acetaminophen in 24 hours is 4000mg. Normally you should take 1000mg every 6 hours when you're using it to combat post-op pain.

The maximum dose for ibuprofen is 1200mg in 24 hours for over the counter medications. Doctors can prescribe higher doses that may be safely taken if needed, but don't go over the 1200mg on your own. It is best to let your surgeon know when you are taking either or both of these medications. They can be taken together. The acetiminophen works on pain. Ibuprofen or other NSAIDS are anti-inflammants and not as good to relieve pain on their own.

I'm so sorry you're not getting the responses you need from your doctor. All I can tell you is to keep calling every few hours when you don't get a response and express your frustration when you finally do get to talk with someone. The only other option you would have if your symptoms got bad enough would be to make a trip to the Emergency Room. If you feel you need to do that, be sure to use the ER at the hospital where your doctor practices. That way you are more likely to have the ER staff contact him directly for guidance.

Prayers for you. I feel so bad for ya. I hope this all works itself out pretty quick. There is no reason you should suffer. The docs ahould be able to figure your pain out and get rid of it.
Praying for you
Booger

Thanks @Jamie and @Booger! Jamis, that's exactly the info I was looking for.. I heard from Dr's ofc this am, he wanted to keep everything as is.....until I told PA about my symptoms on longer infusion. She talked to Dr and I'm now on oral antiobics. Lost a bunch of money but hopefully side affects will be minamil. Thanks for the help, one more week of antiobics, then a waiting week followed by aspiration. If all goes well I'll get the new replacement! Then onward and upwards.

@Starsfan22 ....I'm glad I could be a help to you. And I'm thankful you've now heard from your surgeon's office and have a different plan of action. Hang in there! Unfortunately sometimes some aspects of this process are a bit of trial and error to see what works best for a particular patient. The important thing is to ensure fast and complete communication between you and your medical team. Good for you for the quick and assertive action. :thumb: It's critical to achieving success.

After reading through the board today and feeling so much empathy for those struggling, I thought I'd post a vent/wish post...

In my current approaching end to revision part one, this is what I want:
I want to walk across the room with no thought of pain, help or fear.

I want to be able to prepare a meal without thinking of the consequences

I want to go to a restaurant without fearing the chair/booth and how I'm going to navigate them

I want to drive by myself and run simple errands

I want to give my husband a break....

I want to really clean house without restrictions

I want to visit my kids and grandkids

I want to put full weight on both legs

I want to go for a walk and exercise

I want to know my future physical condition

I want to not suddenly be fearful, anxious or depressed, no more tears

I want to count my blessings and help others navigate their tkr journeys

I suspect many of you have had or will have similar thoughts. Go ahead vent! What do you want?

I suspect many of you have had or will have similar thoughts. Go ahead vent! What do you want?
Thank you for this post!

I want to go up and down stairs like a normal person.

I want to wear pants comfortably so I can look like a normal person in the winter.

I want to be able to sleep on my side again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom