TKR KMLknee's Second TKR Recovery

I'm so happy!!!! Therapist just left and I got great news. My butt is too big! :heehee:
I have been struggling and stretching and fighting to get my right leg (first knee replacement) to get to 0° extension. Well we measured today and the best I could do was 4°. Then I sat up. He looked at my knee and had me flex again I'll be damned.. it was 0°. Turns out that my bubble butt was interfering with my hip flexion forcing my femur to angle upward. This prevented me from being totally straight. All those tears and frustration over my butt!!!! :rotfl:
As a side note, the left leg is at 0 laying down and 2° hyperextension when sitting up. finally I can stop stressing over that.

Last edited:
YAY:dancy::yay::happydance:. Celebrate and enjoy your evening. :cheers:

@newlybionic you have no idea what I relief it is to know that my leg works, it's just my butt in the way. :heehee:
I have been in tears thinking that the manipulation didn't help and that I'm never going to get to zero. I feel so much better now.

Last edited:
Maybe my butt is my problem too!???! A girl can hope!

Congrats on your great news!

I also have a real fear of heights and falling down the stairs .
Having no kneecaps and bad knees, for years I walked down the stairs backwards. My OS at the time told me to do it. It's less stress on the knees plus if you fall you are facing up so you just fall on the stairs not down the stairs. I did stairs this way for over 25 years and never once fell down them! Now, praise God, I can go up and down them normally. You will, too, in time!

@sistersinhim that actually sounds like a good idea. I never thought of backwards. Still doesn't help me get up them. But I could scoot up on that big butt that seems to be in my way. :rotfl:

Last edited:
Quarantine, along with lots of time elevating and icing, has not been kind to anyone’s butt :heehee: I‘m so glad you got a good report!! I’m convinced that getting rid of this nagging worry is so important for our recovery!

@Muldoh unfortunately, my big round bottom came from my momma, not Covid. :loll:
No matter what my weight, it's still there. In elementary school they called me Mrs. Hewiggins from the Carol Burnett show. :rofsign:

I measured better sitting up on the side of the bed/table than laying down as well. I mean they should always measure both I think! Glad you're doing well!

@SpaceGirl I agree that they should measure both ways. Maybe they just aren't taught to do so. My Therapist has been in the biz for over 20 years and had never heard of such. He was totally floored. I was so relieved. There are no words. The amount of tears I have cried over not getting that leg straight are just unbelievable. Now I can focus on my heel slides and gaining enough strength in my legs to get up off the couch without my arms doing all the work. One thing at a time.
Today is day 10 post op and I really am doing so much better with this one than I did the first time as far as pain and ROM is concerned. With the first surgery my left leg was able to take over and get me off the couch and toilet and up the steps. The manipulation of the right this time had truly made it like having both done. I don't really have a "good leg" at the moment. What's also weird but good is that since the manipulation I have zero pain in the outer aspect of the right knee. I really have practically no pain in the right knee. Makes me wonder if something was slightly askew and the manipulation fixed it. I haven't done anything this weekend except heel slides and static stretches before bed and walking around the house and trying to lift my legs up on the pillow without the strap. Yeah,that parts not going so well, the strap is still a necessary item. I just keep telling myself that I'm doing well at 10 days and not to get myself stressed out by the numbers and PT's expectations. That seems to be the hardest part for me. I'm so grateful for all of you to help get me through this.

@KMLknee
I used my strap to lift my legs up for at least 3 weeks. Don’t feel bad about using it! Do what you need to do to stay comfortable!

Hello everyone. It's been a little while since I checked in. I had my 2 week post op visit yesterday. My x-rays look perfect. My incision is healing well. I'm not limping at all and am only using the cane. The doctor is very pleased. I start outpatient PT on Wednesday.
I saw my in home PT today and he measured me at 0-120° on the right (MUA) and 0-118° on the left (new replacement). He said if he saw me walking down the street he would never suspect I had knee surgery, let alone two. I'm so proud of myself. I'm sleeping well once I fall asleep and am really only taking pain meds before PT and before bed but no more than 3 a day. The weeks ago I was regretting the first surgery and really considering not doing the other one. Today I am so grateful. The MUA have me full function in the right and I have had no pain at all since that scar tissue was broken up. The left has progressed so much easier than the right, it's unbelievable. Thank you all for encouraging me to go ahead with the left. Had I not I would still be limping along, out of alignment and miserable. You guys are so helpful and such great cheerleaders. I truly couldn't do this without you. Fingers crossed that there are no setbacks. I've already decided that outpatient PT will be completely hands off!!! There will be no pushing or pulling. No weight machines, just gentle exercises and bike riding. I doubt it will take the whole 4 weeks that are prescribed. I was in PT for 10 weeks the first time and it was awful. My only issue right now is the clunkiness I feel when walking. I'm sure that will improve as I get stronger. Or at least I'll get used to it.

Wow, congratulations, I love to read about wonderful recoveries like yours.
You had such a rough time and now there is light at the end of the tunnel.
So glad you went through with the 2nd surgery. I am happy I did both of mine , it’s nice to have it behind us, still a long ways to go, but no regrets!

Wonderful report. You are doing awesome. Continue listening to your knees as you progress on your recovery journey. Have a great peaceful day. :flwrysmile: :SUNsmile:

Hello all!!! Yesterday was week 3. I saw outpatient PT for the first time. My evaluation went well and she said I could start driving whenever I felt like it but not to take Narcotic pain meds if I'm going to drive. (I'm only taking pain meds before PT and at bedtime , so that won't work yet)
She told me I only needed to come twice a week instead of three times and she was very impressed with how well I'm doing. She only got 0-114 but I can live with that. I was able to ride the bike for 10 minutes going all the way around, forward. It took me six weeks to do that the first time.
I am thoroughly convinced that this recovery is going better than the right did because it was custom fit and done with robotic assistance. If you have that option it might be worth it.

So glad this recovery is going well for you KMLknee! Best wishes for continued progress!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562