TKR KMLknee's Second TKR Recovery

@leejaa I'm really trying to not push so hard. I just have to get the right one stronger so that it can support me better while the left one heals. At this point I can barely walk it get up out of a chair or if the toilet. The right never really got strong enough the first 3 months after surgery because the left did most of the work. Now I need it to do it's share and it's just not. I'm sure the manipulation is part of it. It's only been 6 days and I've been through this before so I don't know why I'm being difficult. I know that less is more.

I agree with all the others, you are over exercising. Your legs have been through a lot and you need to give them the privilege of sorting themselves out. You are only days out of procedures on both legs.

No matter how much you want to, or feel you have to, you cannot rush this healing.

Regaining our ROM/strength is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Weights just 600lbs instead of 800 now.:snork:
What does this mean?
I'm really trying to not push so hard. I just have to get the right one stronger so that it can support me better while the left one heals.
What you don't realize is the right one is still healing, too. It's only 1/4 of the way through the year-long recovery. You must be patient and let them both heal at their own rate. As we've said many times, you can not force healing but can slow it down by doing too much too soon. I'm afraid you're in the spot right now.

@sistersinhim. Should have been weighs 600 lbs not 800. Was being sarcastic because I can't lift my leg and it feels like it weighs 600lbs. I'm really trying to be patient. I do have to leave the apartment next week and I have to have the right leg strong enough to climb the stairs when I get back from OS follow up appointment. As it stands now, I can't see that happening.

The right knee was traumatized again with the manipulation under anesthesia so it will need time to heal more before it can be strengthened and it was not finished healing before. There are many here who had bilateral replacements and at this point you are sort of in the same state with both knees needing time to heal. The bright spot is that they will heal and be strong.

Your head says your right knee should be a certain way at this time but your knee and body is trying to tell you it is not so. Please listen to your knees and give both of them time to heal. You can do recovery with both knees at the same time and actually you are saving time doing this instead of having to wait for full recovery for one knee and then starting all over again with the other knee.

I realize you are worried about the stairs next week but forcing your knees this week will not help but might actually hurt your ability.

Have a peaceful day. :console2: :flwrysmile:

Good afternoon. One week today!!! Getting ready for a nap since I didn't sleep last night. I'm a little frustrated. I had decreased my pain meds to 0.5 tabs every 4-6 hours. Down to about 3 pills total a day. PT came today and I was unable to do leg lifts or short arch quads with the newly replaced knee (left). He advised that I take a whole pill 30 min prior to exercise. He said that if the pain prevents me from doing the exercises, I won't get stronger. I know you all will say that doing too much will hinder my progress, and I agree. But I have to at least be able to lift my leg off the bed. Maybe it's not realistic or even appropriate to do 10 leg lifts or 10 quad sets. But I have to be able to move it some. Not being superwoman is hard for me. On a more positive note. Left knee 0-96 and right (MUA) 3-117 active ROM.
I'm also mad that I'm still not at zero degree extensionon the right, but I have to believe that it will come.

I could not do short arc quads for about 3-4 wks without assistance of someone raising my leg or leg lifts. We would do a few with her lifting my leg a bit for me just to try the motion. My PT just said OK, we will see in a few days or a week. There is no timeline that has to be met.

Some PT take it as a personal achievement on their part when you can do certain exercises and it looks good on their report. Just keep remembering it is your knee and your achievement and more pain even if you do not feel it due to pain meds can mean less gain at this stage.

I couldn’t lift my newly operated leg by myself for several weeks. It will happen as you heal.

Thank you all for helping me again to understand all of this. I know I was hard headed the first time around and had to go back and read the posts and responses from my first recovery thread. I am listening to all of you, I really am. I am a people pleaser and it is hard for me to "disappoint" someone who is trying to help me. But somehow I have a hard time realizing I need to help myself. I will take your advice and rest and let my body heal. It is so difficult for me to just let things do what they are going to do. I have always been one to try and make things happen. This is so counter intuitive for me. But you all got me through the first three months of the right knee replacement and I know I can trust you to get me through this one as well. If I can't do it I just can't and I have to accept that. I know that pushing myself causes more swelling and less progress. I don't know why I keep doing the same thing and think the outcome is going to be different. Anyway, thank you for continuing to guide me and for not giving up on my hardheaded self.

It’s so hard not be an overachiever, when that’s what you’re used to! That and the lack of control have been one of the most difficult aspects of this journey for me. Try to find a good show on TV or a book to quiet your thoughts, at least for the next week or two. Watching TV has always been hard for me since I like to keep moving, but i found a show that held my attention and made me laugh...I watched probably 3 episodes a day. It might sound simplistic but it really did help me to relax and stay in the moment a bit more during those first few difficult weeks. Hoping you have a better day!

Mindless video games helped me whittle the time away. Some people take up knitting or some other hobby that allows you to sit with legs elevated.

It was Grace and Frankie. My girlfriends kept telling me to watch it and I never had time. Well finally I did :heehee: And I think it was on the third season that she gets her knee replaced!

@KMLknee
I know you are really worried about doing the stairs next week with your brand new knee and your MUA knee. You can do it, trust me!!! Before I left the hospital on day 3 after bilateral TKR, the therapist had me go up and down a full flight of stairs in the hospital stairwell. I did it. The trick is to use one crutch (I had the arm cuff style crutches) on the opposite side of the hand rail. So you are supported on both sides - one side by the hand rail, the other side by your crutch. Then they told me to step up with my good leg and down with my bad leg. Uh.... both my legs were bad! So I just picked the one I was most comfortable leading with. You’ll be able to do the stairs; just go slowly.

@Mrs. Ciz I don't have a crutch but I do have handrails on both sides of the stairs. I'm just a bit scared. I also have a real fear of heights and falling down the stairs . I'm not sure where that comes from but it's really scary for me. I'm sure I'm going to be able to do it I'm just afraid. Thank you for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

@Muldoh yes!! I love that show. I finished all of them a while back. Maybe I should watch again from the beginning. Thanks. Have a great day.

So am I the only person who didn't know bonesmart had an app? I just got an email about compression socks vs TED hose and there is a notice of an app. So much easier!!

@KMLknee , if you are nervous about the stairs make sure someone is in front of you. I had my husband stand facing me stair by stair for a while as I descended and it really helped plus I could not see straight down. I also do not like heights and and have been known not to take down escalators and look for stairs even when my knees were hurting. That first step with looking down is always disorienting for me. Having someone in front blocks my view and provides a focus and help in case while I had a death grip on the railings.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom