TKR KMLknee's Second TKR - Date Set

KMLknee

Country
United States United States
My second (Left) knee is now scheduled for September 9th 2020. That will be 15 weeks after my right knee. I would wait on the left knee except it is killing me after having to compensate for the right knee the last 2 months.

@KMLknee , I have moved your post from another person's old thread and started this pre-op thread for you, since it is still more than a month until your second TKR.

I will add your September TKR to your signature and add your name to the September Sapphires surgery thread.

@KMLknee . I had my second knee replacement about 8m after my first. The 8m was more because of work schedule than any other reason. I could not wait to have it done and get to recovery and healing. My OS would have done it earlier but again, had to balance with when I could meet work obligations.

Your left knee is hurting so it is a good time to get it replaced and get to recovery. Yes, the left knee was compensating for your right knee but also you might be more aware of the pain now that your other knee is replaced. I remember after my first knee replacement recovery I was grocery shopping and I got back to the car and I was hurting and saying to myself "what the heck" when I realized it was my other knee making me hurt. It was funny because I was so used to my "worse" knee hurting always more that I semi ignored the lesser pain till then. I was very glad at that point that I had a surgery date waiting for me.

Congratulations on having a date to address the issue.

@KMLknee congrats, it’s coming soon ! I’m having my first tkr 8/25. If I may ask, what are the top things you wished you had known before your first surgery ?

@Moriah Good evening. (1) I wish my doctor had explained exactly what muscles, ligaments and tendons would be damaged so that I had a better idea what to expect. (2) I wish I had been prepared for the slow process of healing. I figured since I was relatively young (52) and active ( not sports active but not couch potato) that I would do great. I read on the internet (bad idea) that you should have full extent and 90° flexion in the first two weeks. Very unrealistic with all that swelling. It's been 9 weeks and I have 2° extension meaning not all the way straight and about 122° flexion. Overall not too bad. (3) I expected pain, I had a previous knee surgery 10 years ago and don't remember it being too bad. Wrong again. Makes you wonder why I want to do it again doesn't it?

The best advice I can give is that it's going to be painful, it's going to be hard, and it's going to get better! Just remember the guidelines here. Don't push yourself too hard or have a timeline in mind. You will get there when you get there.
I will be looking forward to watching your progress and journeying with you.

@KMLknee thankyou for Taking your time to respond so thoroughly and sharing your input. I just hope there are pain meds that work. I heard Bone pain cannot be medicated well. I’m in pain now and my leg is slightly not straight and I have 5 degree right now so 2 degree sounds good. I can’t take my dog out, just sitting in a chair throwing a ball for him. hoping I can do an actual walk before I see my breath in Mn.

@Moriah I hope that you do exceptionally well. I will be following you and will keep you up to date on my progress after second surgery as well.
You can see all of my whining from the first (current) surgery on my other thread. "Unsure about my progress"
Keep in touch through PM in the mean time if you would like.

Hi guys! Surgery for second knee (Left) is approved. Pre-op testing is done. Fear has set in. I have contemplated not doing it at all since I'm still having issues with the right knee 3 months later. I'm still limping and have almost a constant ache. I wouldn't even go ahead with the left except that I was so knocked kneed before and now the right is straight and left us not. OS feels this is contributing to limp and lingering pain. Also the Right leg is about 4-5 mm shorter. It may have always been but I have no idea. Apparently my right hip is extremely weak and that's not helping either. I just keep praying that I'm making the right decision and that this time next year I will be back to my previous level of functioning. The worst part is that my functioning wasn't all that bad before. I mean the pain was excruciating but I could do stuff. Anyway, wish me luck!!!!

Glad to hear that surgery is approved. Fear does tend to rear its head in the pre operative time as we wait. There is a chance that having a bad left knee is not helping you recover and getting balanced would help both of your knees to recover together as you OS is suggesting. I am sorry you are still having issues with the right knee but it does take a time for full recovery and the journey is not always smooth. At 3 months you are still in the early stages of a recovery that can take a year and often there are improvements after that.

Functioning with excruciating pain is not true functioning. For me, the point was made after my first knee replacement when I went grocery shopping all excited not to be in pain and by the end I had trouble getting in the car and was majorly hurting. As I sat there I realized it was my other leg that was causing all the pain. I knew then that it was the right decision to go ahead and try for better.

The one thing is that now I do not remember any of the discomfort from recovery and life is greatly improved.

Good luck with your second knee. You know what to expect and have everyone here as support for you during your surgery. I’m sure that once this knee is taken care of you will gradually lose your limp as this knee heals.

Hello everyone. I saw my surgeon today for pre-op visit. He asked how the right knee was doing. We discussed my lack of full extentsion no matter what I do. And still having some quad weakness and mild achey pain mostly in the outer aspect of right knee. He said if I wanted to postpone the left knee until the right was further along that it would be ok. I asked if he thought it was best to wait and he said it was completely my choice. There was no medical reason not to proceed but if I wasn't comfortable or ready we can always cancel. He told me to think about it and let him know. Surgery is scheduled for the 9th. Pre-op testing is done. Covid test scheduled for tomorrow. Prior auth from insurance is done. I really just want to get it done. My PT who has a PhD in physical therapy feels that once the other (left) leg is straight that the right one will progress and full extension will come. She also feels waiting too long will take a toll on my hip and lower back. Oh, OS also said that he will do some manipulation on the right knee while I'm under. He said he can't guarantee that it will make a huge difference with extension but usually 2-3 degree improvement is achieved. I'm only lacking about 3 degrees. Flexion is about 128-130° depending on what day it is, lol. I'm so over limping but I'm scared that the left knee won't progress any better than the right has and I will be in worse shape than I was before. I know you can't tell me what to do, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'd go ahead with your second TKR if it was me.

All your ducks are in a row and it seems like you really need your other knee done so I would go ahead and continue with recovery. Just think, after this no surgery on the horizon to worry about.

You have all your paperwork done, pre-testing is done and the covid test is tomorrow. I would go ahead with it.

Thank you everyone. One of the other things I thought about is if insurance already approved medical necessity and I put it off, then will they question it with the second request? Also having the MUA thrown in may help me get that last few degrees of extension in the right and that alone will be worth it. My biggest fear is that the left leg will be harder to rehab and may not do as well as the right which I have had some difficulty with. I think buying the bullet and getting done is the way to go. Thanks to all for your input.

I think your therapist has the right idea. You have a second bad knee that is contributing to your discomfort and probably the limp as well. Your flexion numbers are great and you are almost there with extension. Walking is usually the best way to gain extension and I'm betting once your second leg is straightened out, you'll be able to walk with a proper gait and you'll have those last degrees of extension. Good luck with your surgery!!!

@KMLknee

" She also feels waiting too long will take a toll on my hip and lower back. " Yes, yes, and yes.

One of the most common things you'll hear on these forums is "I waited too long" and post op (after the initial healing part) "Why did I wait so long?!"

I had panic attacks before almost all my surgeries but never regretted it afterwards. I remember thinking each time in recovery "Wow, the pain is gone". You realize that IMMEDIATELY. Yes, then you have the healing pain but that is a different kind and you know that will end. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, keep going!

Thank you everyone. I am still concerned but am going to move forward. My left knee really doesn't hurt as much as the right one did and I could wait for a while, but it will have to be done at some point. I think the main reason I am going to go ahead is because I truly feel that it is keeping my right leg from improving fully. I will let everyone know how it goes. Thank you again for all of your support.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads