TKR KMLknee's Second TKR - Date Set

Countdown to Wednesday. I'm still freaking out a little. I just reread my posts about going ahead with the left knee. Hoping that it's not a mistake. But my right hip is killing me. I had a good day Saturday with minimal perceptible limp and then today was right back to awful. Praying that fixing the left, fixes everything.

I have two TKR's one from 2013 one from 2017 and try and remember that three months is very early. My first one was the worst experience of my life pain wise but by my second they had made many advancements. Chiefly being a injectable long term numbing agent that they inject all over the site before they close. Also I don't know if you have ever watched a video of the surgery but its amazing how much damage they do when they go in there and it takes much longer than we like to heal. My first one I went down the path of regimented rehab and it was horrible. My second I did my own and had a much better out come remember its mostly a healing process. My Dr did not like me doing my own rehab but after seeing my outcome he offers it to motivated people. I am 60 and am back to climbing ladders walking my dog miles in the woods everyday and biking with my wife. I wish you the best and remember you will be improving for two years

Good luck on Wednesday ,KML, my 2 surgeries were around 14 weeks apart and I am So happy for you to get this behind you. If I would have waited longer, I probably would never have done it again, not going to lie , there have been some rough times, but I have absolutely no regrets getting both of my knees done this quickly.
I still have lots of healing pain, etc , but looking so forward ( after Covid) to travel abroad again, I am not limping anymore, which is a huge plus, Also can walk for hours at work ( have to ice & elevate the minute I get home everyday) but trading short term misery for 20 -30 years of a long term gain Is a no brainer.

Thank you @Peaches0000 I am still thinking about chickening out of second surgery. I have to make up my mind before the office opens in the morning. My husband wants me to wait until the right leg is stronger. I think the left knee is prohibiting the right leg from progressing. I'm scared to go ahead since I'm still limping and can't get full extension in the right no matter what I do. What if the left doesn't do any better than the right? I was able to walk, kneel, stoop (holding on to something) get on the floor ( not back up easily, but still) before surgery, It hurt like hell but I could do it. Now I can't really do any of those things. I know that it's only been 3 months and that it takes time. But I'm scared. How well was your first knee doing when you had the second? I keep telling myself to just go ahead. I was not this apprehensive about the first one. If I just do it I will eventually see the end of this battle. If I postpone, I just have to start all over again. I realize that I'm rambling now. I'm sorry. Anyway, I'm going to bed now and praying that I make the right decision when I get up.
Blessings

Ok guys, the shower chair is in the shower, the toilet seat riser is installed, the polar care cube and pillows are in the car. 6AM arrival time for this second TKR. I agonized all weekend about cancelling the surgery and finally decided that it had to be done eventually so I'm just going to just get it over with. Hope it helps the right to finally straighten all the way. I look forward to whining and celebrating with you all for a while longer. Wish me luck!!! :chuckmarch::sad:

You go girl, my right knee extension was at a 4 when I had my 2nd surgery in May, the ROM was only 105, but My left knee became worse from using it as my anchor leg, So yes, I did think it kept my right knee from healing up properly , one night I could not even stand on it and was so happy that I was already scheduled for the surgery , Lets face it, it all sux, I still miss my old legs, they were awesome, but that ship sailed. I am sure that I did the right thing doing both surgeries - it is only going to get better every month from now on-My right knee finally got to a 0 when I spent a few months walking on it- my ROM is improving whenever it’s not swelling, I honestly don‘t worry about extension or Rom anymore with either knee- I took a 2 week break from PT and am going back tomorrow - just for the massage and bike riding- I accidentally did 20 squats to the ground and got my new knee from a plus +9 extension to a minus -2 the only benefit from giving myself 2 weeks of pain & swelling, LOL
i will be sending you prayers and wishes for your successful surgery tomorrow.
Here is a pic of my bionic knees taken last week. Still creeps me out a bit, but I have made friends with them.

Attachments

• 1ACB8748-802D-4885-ADA8-E5B6E98F4086.jpeg
    1ACB8748-802D-4885-ADA8-E5B6E98F4086.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
@Peaches0000 I'm missing my old knees already. They worked, just hurt all the time. I pray that these new ones will eventually do everything the old ones did. I really just want to be able to get down on my knees to clean the tub and to be able to get back up. I'm not asking for much. Don't need to climb mountains, run races, ski or do contortions. I just need to function normally and without pain. By the way... Your new knees are really pretty.
I'll let you know how I'm doing. Thank you for all your help.

Good Luck with your surgery. We will be waiting to hear from you once it’s done.

Best wishes for your surgery. See you soon on the recovery side with your new knee. Have a peaceful evening.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom