THR Kmhefner Recovery Thread

Kmhefner

Country
United States United States
Hello my fellow bone Smarties! I'm post operation day 2, anterior approach, and am at home icing currently. My estimated return to work date is 18 November. I've got lots of beautiful bruising and swelling as expected. They used a zipper closure which was new to me and really neat!

My primary concern is going to be pain management at this point. I have been given Norco 10/ acetaminophen 325 since I have adverse reaction with Percocet. I am hoping to do a back and forth from the pain pills and true acetaminophen. Any suggestions on dosage and frequency?

Additionally, is there any must have equipment for home?

Hi! :welome: Welcome to Recovery! Please read the Recovery Guidelines below.
You'll find an abundance of useful information within. Pay special attention to the Big Tip toward the bottom. As far as meds, no one other than your OS or, Josephine, the Nurse Director here can advise.
I'd suggest you phone the office of your OS. They should be able to direct you through a series of questions.
Stop back often, we'll be here to offer encouragement and support as you're healing.
Wishing you comfort as you move forward.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Kmhefner

My estimated return to work date is 18 November.
Just a leetle bit ambitious, I think! Read this Phased return to work to see what I mean.
I have been given Norco 10/acetaminophen 325. I am hoping to do a back and forth from the pain pills and true acetaminophen
Not sure what you mean by a 'true' acetaminophen! But I'd suggest you stick with the Norco (Hydrocodone+acetaminophen) for at least 2-3 weeks and after that, try to titrate off like this

Weeks 1-3 as prescribed
Weeks 4-5 Norco night and morning and Tylenol 1,000mgs 2 other times during the day
Weeks 6-7 Norco at night and and Tylenol 1,000mgs 3 other times during the day
Weeks 8 onward and Tylenol 1,000mgs 4 times being every 6hours

The only critical equipment for me is the raised toilet seat, but since you were anterior and presumably don't have a 90 degree restriction, you're probably good. I haven't actually used my grabber (except to harass my kids) since I got proficient at the "golf pickup" long before surgery. A dressing stick helps, though I can manage just fine with my long arms and creativity. Haven't had to put socks or shoes on yet, but I got the sock thing and a shoehorn too. Come to think of it, just about everything I have revolves around the 90 degree restriction.

Assuming no restrictions, I'd say ice, Netflix, and patience (I have 2/3).

Welcome! I purchased a cane, a pillow for elevating at night, ice packs & Tylenol Arthritis 8 hr. to help with my recovery. I also suggest an eye mask to block light for napping during the day. Once the incision is closed you will need cocoa butter w. Vitamin E. I also love the bath & body aromatherapy lotions. I use sleep before bed and energy in the morning. The scents help me prep for the next activity. I bought the reachers too late needed them in weeks 1 - 3. I didn't get them until.week 4. I use one when I drop something & I am comfortably elevated while working from home at my laptop. Wish you well on your recovery & plans for return to work. I began a transitional work arrangement after 1 month. I started with 4 hrs days first week, 5 hrs days week 2, which I barely had the energy for because I also started water therapy that week. Last week I worked 6 hr. days & struggled with energy drain ( people kept scheduling meeting when I needed to nap). I planned on 7 hr days next week but I had my OS change the schedule so I can work 6 he days the 2 days I have therapy. Hoping that it is received well by my boss, we are in crazy busy season & she thinks I should be fine and back to normal at 2 months out.

@Josephine thank your for the weening advise! That's what I was meaning. I spoke with my disability coordinator today from work and she just has the date as tentative and it can always be move back further. My job would require some serious hoops to jump through to do a phased return to work. If my OS recommends it then I will start that process.

@JoeKnows thankful I do not have the 90 degree restriction, but my swelling and bruising has me limited at the moment. What is the golf pick up you referenced?

@Lski my husband and I are going to get some additional pillows tomorrow. It's already 7pm here in Oklahoma. How are you enjoying water therapy?

Did any of you have the zipper closure by chance?

The golf pickup is like how golfers get their ball from the cup - weight on the good leg, extend the bad leg back as you lean forward, using the putter (or cane, or a counter, or anything) to balance. Point is it doesn't bend the bad hip.

Ah okay! I know what you mean now. I think that may go against my extension restriction since the leg would be going behind me. I can always email my OS's office!

I had my anterior THR five days before you - so far I seem to be my own worst enemy in terms of healing (that is, overdoing it), but I know I'm not alone in that. The people here are wonderful and their info and advice is superb!

Did the doctors not give you a schedule for pain management? For example, I'm in 1000mg acetaminophen 3x a day (plus oxy up to every four hours as needed, but I don't need it anymore) and that keeps any discomfort at a minimum (unless I've overdone it, ha). Plus the acetaminophen is good for bone healing on top of that. I hope you're finding what works for you!

@Beanie18 they have me just at 1-2 Norco every 4-6 hours as needed. I was really sore today from all the walking I did yesterday. I will be like you and have to make myself take it easy!

@Kmhefner Congratulations on your surgery!
I'm five days out with RTHR. I am finding the "dresser" helpful for dressing the lower half and dressing after the loo! I do like the reacher as well. I think you may be correct, the golfer's reach might be an issue for anterior. I like the sock aid and the long handled shoe horn. I use a back scrubber in the shower usually, and find the long handled sponge useful for legs now. I was sure I'd need a leg lifter to get into bed, but find that dragging my body across the bed at an angle, I was just about there and moving the legs over was OK after the first night. I love my recliner and have found that helping with sleep. I have what I call the wave lift pillow for my legs in bed. For me, the ice machine has been a God-send. Hope that helps.

@Alitm I wish you a smooth recovery!
The OT in the hospital didn't want me to get a sock aid. She said it was silly to pay for something I would use less than a week. I do think I still want to get a shoe horn and long handle sponge. My husband made me envious by showering this evening lol!

Ah okay! I know what you mean now. I think that may go against my extension restriction since the leg would be going behind me. I can always email my OS's office!

The idea is to keep your operated leg in the same position relative to your pelvis, but for sure check with the doc (or just use a grabber)

The golfer's bend was mentioned by me to someone that had anterior THR. It was brought to my attention that you're not supposed to do that with anterior. I would ck first before using it.

Had my first night's sleep at home. I have learned I will need to keep a pillow under my operated leg due to how firm our bed is, it killed my heel until I decided to try the pillow.

If you have anterior approach please do not attempt the golfer's reach. It does indeed violate your restriction for extending your leg in back.
golfersreach.jpg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks