THR Kim's recovery, meet Betty Rose the new hip

kimbarella

Country
United States United States
Hi,

Day 7, postop, diminishing pain and no death grip, sharing experience
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUMMARY I'm 69, F, here's a summary long read, 1 week postop from THR of the right hip, anterior approach. I'd spent the previous year with PT, NSAIDS, and increasing isolation and inability to walk without a limp and a cane. The experience so far has been, quite frankly, more than I'd hoped for. Some rough days of course, trying to get and stay comfortable. I was in the hospital overnight after the operation and went home the next afternoon. Very gingerly. Pain pills included Narco 10/325, which I used as sparingly as I could (I think there was only 2 times I took 2--I think my my max was 5 over a 24-hour period, day 2). Yesterday, postop day 6, I used only a tylenol instead of the stronger stuff. Miralax was helpful in the you know what department. I had ordered a 5-inch toilet seat riser but used it only once. I selected bed in our house that was a little lower than the other, with access to bathroom right there. To avoid fumbling around in the night, I kept the bathroom light on and used an eye shade.

PAIN Pain in the night is more common, I'm told, and that's what still gets me. It's not the hip area itself that hurts, though there can be some deep boring pain, as much as the muscles that were stretched this way and that, and the knee that had been compensating and now needs to to settle down a bit.

PROCESS My surgeon has done more than 2000 anterior approaches as of 2008, when he stopped counting, and I was very confident in the team and the process. I really couldn't walk much in the evening after the operation or the next morning, but I probably went 100 steps. Home PT came 48 hours after the surgery, and we adjusted to the fact that there was no way I could raise my right leg even an inch--or half an inch-- from the bed, knee bent or not, or move it to the side, but I keep trying everyday. I had lots of bone spurs to "clean out" and these sideways movements, and moving to the back while standing, were ones I've had trouble with for at least the last year. So things will take some time to adjust. I'm trying to be as kind as possible to myself and eat healthy. It's as if I've had a mind and body split, and I'm trying to bring them back together, as gently as possible.

PROGRESS The only precaution I received was DO NOT FALL so you would think I can remember that much. I went for 1-week follow up today, my first outing, and I used the walker. I didn't have a death grip on it, though, and I'll try cane when PT comes tomorrow. No limp!!!!! Yay! I must be half an inch taller. The doctor advises that walking is the best form of PT and, with the PT's help, that some discomfort is fine to push through. But agony and increasing pain: don't push through it, back off and rest. The basic exercises from the hospital post-op instructions are very helpful. I just keep at it.

I was told today to expect some good days and bad days, which is why I'm trying to enjoy the good days and keep pain pills back for the others. Last night I couldn't sleep much (normal) and was uncomfortable, but before grabbing something for pain I instead did a 10-minute "body scan" meditation (youtube has a ton) and I was out by the end. My doc could prescribe some stronger sleep meds if I wanted. I've been using a benedryl (hits sleeping and allergies at same time) a night or two and was told I could throw over the counter melatonin into the mix.

FOOD AND OTHER TIPS For my birthday (the week before), my husband said his gift was to be my faithful manservant for two weeks--hah. So far, pretty good. If I didn't have a helper, I'd hire one for a day or two. My husband likes to cook , but I ordered some healthy premade grab/go meals(he likes pizza and such) in addition, and these have been helpful but pricey. I put out oatmeal the night before, soaking, so that I can heat/eat it quickly the next morning, with some fruit. don't have many plans for the next 6 weeks or so except to not overdo it and take it one day at a time. There is a lot to consume on "Dr. Google", different advice about exercising, etc, and I had some dark moments in advance about what was going to happen. I'm sticking with steady, gentle, and kind, and hitting up my fave PT person for outpatient therapy in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to regaining some semblance of exercise. I cleared away some carpet runners. Some say to keep the animals away but no problem with our kitties...they see the walker and run screaming away.

I hope it goes well for everyone out there. I was so often anxious about what to do, in advance, but increasingly anxious with things as they were, so wanted to share this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the healing side @kimbarella :flwrysmile: A moderator will be along soon to offer you a whole list of very helpful articles. Pay particular attention to the one about activity progression after THR, it's very easy to do too much too soon. I would stay away from Dr. Google, you will find much better consistent advise here. Reading other peoples threads is a good way of getting an idea of how varied all of our recoveries are. For now take it easy and keep the pain under control.

Sounds like you are doing well for 7 days post op. I totally agree with the slow and steady progress will get you there. It all takes time but a good mind set will help greatly. No reason to rush, the body will take what it needs to heal.

Hello and :welome: to BoneSmart and for having a good start to your recovery.

I'd like to leave you some articles about recovery. I hope you find them as useful as I did.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

You husband sounds like a team player, kudos to him!

I hope you can snag some better sleep tonight. :sleep:

Hello @kimbarella - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

@kimbarella Just checking to see how you are getting on with this recovery. I hope you will come back and give us an update soon!

Day 28: A bit of a rollercoaster here, with random aches and pains that move around the operative leg, above the knee. More than I was expecting with the anterior approach, but I'd slowed down a lot in the year preceding surgery. I'm using the cane more in week 4 than week 3. Trying to be gentle with myself, tho. Betty Rose (the name for my new hip) seems to be settling in. I've welcomed her to the family. Does anybody else experience a mind-body split? Like, the mind goes one direction, and the body another?

More than I was expecting with the anterior approach
Unfortunately anterior is "marketed" as an easier recovery. In reality it is just like any other approach. The good news is that the end result is no more hip pain.
Does anybody else experience a mind-body split? Like, the mind goes one direction, and the body another?
Apparently this is very common post op. A physio explained this to me post LTHR. It takes awhile for the nerves to "connect" back and align with what the brain is telling them to do. You first see this with what we call log leg. Just post op many complain that they can't move their op leg. Within a few days the "connections" are make again and movement is normal.

I've had the mind-body split deal. As Jaycey relates with log leg you can try and will your leg to move and it doesn't respond. I had a delay with this hip as far as reaching my foot. I could tell that certain muscles were not getting the memo and were pulling when the message I sent was to release. It took time and they finally got it. The bad news is day 28 is still very early, usually that's about 1/3 of the way.

Thankfully I had a brief mind-body-body split when I started listing to the right, while using a cane and my right leg muscles would not engage to straighten me. Luckily I caught myself on a desk. Back to the walker after that experience!

6 weeks out, I had the oddest experience last night. I was resting in a recliner for half an hour, after a gentle day, a few exercises (set of clamshells, some bent leg lifting, bridges), and tours of walking around the house, cane close by if I needed it. Earlier I had done some massaging of the scar, opposite "pulling" with fingers alongside the lumpy scar. Anyway, I stood up and could not move forward without intense pain in the groin. I could walk backwards a little bit and could lift the operated leg with my arm. I was scared. my sister in law is a nurse and lives next door, lucky me, and she came right over. It wasn't a dislocation, she could tell that. After 5 minutes of just standing there and shifting weight side to side, I felt a tug in the groin, like a rubber band snapping, and then everything was fine!I can't do a straight leg lift on my back more than an inch, but I'm not pushing it. Patience, patience, patience.

Hi @kimbarella
I'm glad your SIL could come and allay your fears about a dislocation...however from what I hear you would likely be on the floor yelling for an ambulance had that have happened.
Betty Rose is not liking the extra strain from the PT.:sorry:

My feeling is the groin pain and weakness is not being helped by clamshells or the straight leg lifts and certainly not by bridges.:nah:

It is still early days and just walking is all that is needed.
Still a lot of healing happening.
Hope you drop the physical therapy and ice it up, even the groin area.

Wishing you a good day today.

Clamshells and bridges weren't on my radar until about 3 mos and I still don't fool with bridges. I unfortunately learned the hard way with my first THR with trying clamshells,bridges and lateral leg lifts too soon. I found it didn't do anything to speed my recovery, actually set me back and caused undue pain.

Thanks. It is easy to forget that what seems like a long time out is not, really, and that progress is not a straight line. I am getting better at taking it easy, having the luxury to do so, being retired. Walking is my main thing, but generally 20 minutes a day outside and around the house otherwise. I had a great 3 block walk (all flat) in the neighborhood over the weekend, buying fresh eggs. I met the chickens, too. Beats going to Costco to push a cart, where there is a lot of panic buying. That is happening all over the Bay Area (CA), where I live. So far, I don't wander far, though I have had a few restaurant outings. I will be driving 1 block up the hill to vote tomorrow, our polling place is someone's garage. Whoops, I digress. I am 6 weeks away from follow up with surgeon.

Walking was my main thing aside from some ankle pumps and muscle clenches. I would do some stretches and movements just as a gauge to see my ROM, all lying in bed. I learned the hard way at 3 mos out last time just how long it takes to recover and how easy it is to overdo.

Hi , yes please avoid clamshells and bridges for now. They set me back too. Walking for brief periods with back straight, gradually getting g down to one crutch etc. It was quite a while before I stopped limping and I did not come off my Leki stick until I was confident. 1.5 years in and with the corona virus scars, I am walking up stairs without using the railing. I could not do this before the op. You sound like you are doing fine. Our supermarket ran out of yeast yesterday. MPlus then be a lot of worried home bakers!

Hi :wave:@kimbarella
As others have mentioned, please refrain from Clamshells and Bridges for the time being.
Bridges are a core stability exercise and put a lot of pressure in an area where soft tissue and muscle was recently traumatized. They can cause tendonitis in quads, glutes and ham strings, which I learned from our recently retired forum nurse. There have been many who’ve engaged in these unnecessary exercises and end up suffering set-backs, sometimes for several weeks. Clamshells are especially hard on the IT band and can also cause issues such as tendonitis. It seems you’re doing well with walking which is the best form of exercise early on. Enjoy! :walking:
A great week to you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom