THR Kernsac's Left Hip Recovery

That would be very difficult to be without your white cane as you describe your current methods so I'm sure you are looking forward to having back in hand. We often don't give a thought to added challenges some face as we slide along in our own recovery. I appreciate you sharing and giving me some insight. :)

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you've had a nice week.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend as you continue healing!
@kernsac

Hi, all. I saw my orthopedic surgeon for my one month checkup, and he says I'm doing really well, and am "ahead of the game", whatever that means. He said I can now sleep on my side, with a pillow (I use a large rumpled-up blanket) between my legs. It will feel good not to have to be on my back all night! I'm walking around the house without a cane, but still use a cane when I go with my husband to take our dog for evening walks. I'm hoping I can start joining them for morning walks soon as well. The only disappointment I had was that my three-month appointment, Lefty's "graduation", which was scheduled for July 1, got moved to July 16 because the OT canceled appointments for that day so he could do surgeries. But I'm reminding myself that hips know nothing about dates and calendars, and they just continue to heal in their own time. But I was looking forward to having the precautions lifted so I can get on with life. But I'm reminding myself that someone is probably really glad that July 1 opened up as a surgery date, because they will find pain relief sooner than perhaps they originally thought. So things will work out all in good time.

:wave:Good to see your post...and you sound well.:yes:
Yes, our body is in charge of this recovery, for sure.
Sending all the best for things to just keep getting better and better:tada:

Great update, thanks for sharing!
You're doing well. I hope you're able to get out on the morning walks with hubby and your dog soon.
Sorry your appt got backed off. You have a healthy attitude in realizing someone's pain will end sooner
with the date you lost to scheduling. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@kernsac

Hi, all. I saw my physical therapist on May 6, and got a lot of positive feedback. I'd noticed that at one point I stepped down with Righty, rather than Lefty, so I started wondering when it would be okay to step down with the opposite hip. I mean, I don't think that 20 years from now I'll be trying to remember which was the most recently operated hip. <lol> My PT recognized that I was at the point where I didn't need to follow the rules about which foot to use to step up and down so strictly. So he took me to some fake stairs and let me experiment by stepping up and down with alternating feet, and working on alternating feet as I went up and down, rather than bringing the second foot to where the first foot was before taking another step. He also invited me to consider walking outside without a cane, the thought of which sounded quite scary. But at church I had a solo to sing, and it was just a few steps away, so I had a choir member walk to and from the microphone with me, and found that I could do it. Once I knew that, I wondered if I could go out without the cane the next day for Mother's Day dinner. I decided to try it, since my husband and daughter would be there with me. It went very well, so I decided to go for our evening walk with the dog without the cane, which also went well. So I've been without the cane since Sunday night, going for evening and morning walks, and doing moderate aerobic exercises with my Leslie Sansone videos, with my PT's blessing. I'm still trying to listen to my body, and feel some pain in my quads mostly, which my OT says is normal, since that's where a lot of "malleting" was done. But I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I finally realized that I can brush my teeth and rinse my mouth by stepping back with Lefty to keep her from bending more than 90 degrees. I have one more PT appointment on May 20, then I'll need to wait to "graduate" on July 16. I'm ready to start having a normal life!

Nice progress. You're doing well!
You will be able to walk up the steps sideways and backwards
with all the practice you've had. :heehee: Good for you mastering those stairs.
Sounds like you're ready to get on with your normal life. Watch out world, here she comes.
Wishing you all things good!
@kernsac

That's how to do it! Just keep pushing those boundaries a little at a time. Sometimes it's a question of confidence, as much as physical ability. I can see from your post how your confidence is growing now.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well and are enjoying Spring so far.
Don't be a stranger here, we love hearing from you.
Have a great week!
@kernsac

Hi, all. I finished up my physical therapy on May 20. I've been working with this PT way before I even considered a hip replacement, so it's amazing to think that I've "graduated". He said I can do what I want, as long as I don't violate precautions. At this point I'm not using a cane at all. I walk the dog with my husband in the morning, then do some in-home walking workouts. We sometimes go shopping or have other activities, then walk the dog in the evening. I did have a scare about a week ago. My husband had planted some flowers in the front flower bed, next to the walkway up to our front steps. Since he hadn't seen me heading in that direction, he didn't tell me about it, nor about the big rocks surrounding the flowers. I didn't turn onto the walkway soon enough, stepped on the rocks, which were very unstable, and fell forward. I wasn't hurt at all, and all I suffered was muddy hands when they landed in the flower bed. I think I probably landed in a plank position. But it scared me to death! I don't want to dislocate anything after having come so far! But in a way, falling was a good thing, because it helped me realize that my new hips are tougher than I think. Still, I can hardly wait until the final visit with my surgeon on July 16. I'm looking forward to being able to get down on the floor and do yoga, to put on my clothes without hip aids, and to get on with life!

Hi @kernsac
I'm sorry to read about your frightening experience. Thankfully you're okay!
You're doing great recovering from two major surgeries within three months and only a little over five months since the first surgery. I'm sure you're OS will be impressed with your progress. Another 6 weeks and you'll have confirmation of that. Until then....enjoy the Spring and Summer. Thanks for the update, please stay in touch.

:hi: Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We'd love to read an update and share in your progress.
Please leave one next time you drop by if time allows.
Hope to hear from you soon. :loveshwr:
@kernsac

Hi, all. I saw my surgeon on July 16, and have been released from all precautions. The only restrictions he wants me to observe is no high-impact stuff, and no high-risk stuff, like climbing ladders or riding a motorcycle, where falling could injure the joints. So I'm gradually starting to bend more than 90degrees, and get down on the floor for yoga and strength training. I've even been getting the dog's water every morning, which is wonderful! I'm trying to take things slowly. The hips were kind of surprised when I first asked them to bend more than 90 degrees, but they're getting used to the idea. They'll have their big test in a few weeks when we travel up to Portland to visit family. It's kind of a challenge to realize that it's okay to do things that it wasn't okay to do just a few weeks ago. But it's nice to see that my body is healing, and that the restrictions and fears of the surgery are behind me.

Hello
Wonderful news you received on the 16th :yay: Thanks for stopping by to share. It's always nice to hear from you. You're almost four months post op already. I'll bet you're excited to get back to yoga.
I hope you have a wonderful time visiting loved ones in Portland. Safe travels and a great rest of the Summer to you! Please don't be a stranger here. :)
@kernsac

Last edited:
So glad to hear you are doing well.
:yes!:
Four month mark felt like my biggest turnabout.
Keep it all slow and mindful...
I do hope you enjoy your trip.:SUNsmile:

Happy Four Month Anniversary on your newest hip!
Stay in touch, we love hearing from you once in awhile.
I hope you're enjoying the Summer!
@kernsac

Hello @kernsac
Noticed you visiting elsewhere on the forum and thought I’d stop by your thread and
say :hi:

Hopefully life has been good since you last posted a little over a year ago and your two newish hips are serving you well.
Enjoy the rest of the Summer in safety and good health! :)

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. I'm doing really well. It feels so good to be able to walk and move without pain. I try to pop in occasionally to encourage others who are in the pre-surgery stage, or wondering if they should have surgery, just to share what a blessing it's been for me!

It’s good to hear you’re doing well and thoughtful of you to pop in on occasion to encourage others. I’m sure they appreciate it. I agree this surgery is a blessing giving us back quality of life. Enjoy those two hips and we’ll look forward to seeing you here now and again.
@kernsac

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks