THR Kernsac's Left Hip Recovery

Well, it was two weeks yesterday since my surgery, and I'm continuing to make progress. I got my staples removed yesterday, and was discharged from home health. The therapist and I did a little walking outside with the walker, and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to try walking outside a little with the cane. My hip told me in no uncertain terms that it wasn't ready for that, and I went back inside and rested and iced. It's forgiven me, and is still willing to walk with the cane when I get my coffee and breakfast, or do little things that require my hands to be free. So I think I'll use the walker and try a short outdoor walk this afternoon. There are some blooming flowers in a yard around the corner that I simply have to smell!

I had my first outpatient physical therapy appointment for my left hip, and the therapist was pleased with my progress. I told him I am experiencing more pain with this hip than what I recall experiencing with the right hip. He said that each hip is different, and that this left hip was having to be the stronger hip while the right hip was healing, so perhaps that accounted for some of the pain. But, to my surprise, he said I have more movement in the left hip after just two weeks than what I had with the right hip after just two weeks. He wants me to stay on the walker, which I intend to do, though he said I can take a few steps to get myself a cup of coffee or something using the cane. But at this point the left hip needs the support of a walker. So all in all, a good report. r

Hi there :wave: @kernsac
Great update! You're doing so well.
I'll bet you're relieved to have the staples out.
Wow, two major surgeries within three months. You're a trooper. Lots of healing to happen, lots of room for improvement. Keep up the good work.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

Hi, all. This afternoon while I was elevating my legs, I was reading through other people's recovery stories, and found it comforting to know that I'm not alone. One thing that struck me was that someone (can't remember who) said they got graphic descriptions and pictures or videos of what they actually do to our bodies during hip replacement surgery. I've listened to several videos, but as a totally blind person, just hearing "the hip is dislocated" might not have the same impact as seeing how it's done. Are there articles or videos on the site that I could read, or have my sighted husband describe, so that I'll have a clearer picture of what they were doing to my body during my posterior hip surgeries while I slept? We like to watch shows with veterinarians repairing animals' broken bones, and my husband was saying that they often show two vets pushing with all their might to get things where they need to be. So if there's a link to a video or verbal description of what they actually physically do during a posterior hip replacement, I'd love to check it out.

I am continuing to make progress. Last Saturday I was feeling quite depressed, probably because Saturdays are usually my busiest days, doing things I enjoy, and there I was sitting at home. Fortunately the depression didn’t last long. What a surprise that the next day my hip felt well enough to start walking around the house using my cane instead of my walker, and I have continued to use the cane inside the house. I still go for short walks outside with the Walker. The temptation is to want to use the cane for the outside walks, but I want to give my hip another week or so before trying that. It is just amazing to see the difference between my Saturday sadness and my Sunday surprise progress. i

we have an opportunity on Easter Sunday to go to church with our daughter and then to her boyfriend’s family‘s house for a party. I am thinking to do both might be a very long day, especially since I am on a walker when I am out and about. Maybe we will just go to the Easter party. I just hope their house will accommodate a walker, and that the bathroom will accommodate the 90° rule.

Personally, I would opt out of the church portion of the day. Seating will be limited and likely very uncomfortable. Have your daughter let the hosts know ahead about your walker so you don't feel awkward or imposing and ask her to help you find a comfortable chair. Being right on time will help with chair choice too! For the bathroom, you should be fine for one or three visits. As your start to lower, slide your op leg out to decrease the bend and try to have someone to help lower and raise you or lock your walker up tight for support. When you go to the bathroom leave something on your chair that let's people know you will be right back.

Hi @kernsac
I can imagine both Church and a party afterward would be a lot. Tiring for sure in the early days of recovery. You can always tune in to a Church service on tv and then make it to the lunch / dinner afterward.
Whatever you choose I hope you have a lovely Easter.

Happy Four Month Anniversary for Righty today!

Hi, all. Thought I'd pop in for an update. We went to lunch at our daughter's boyfriend's parents' house for Easter, and had a very nice time. I debated whether to take the cane or the walker, but in the end we decided I could use the cane, but we'd have the walker in the trunk just in case I needed it, which I didn't. In fact, I felt strong enough to go with my husband to take the dog for a walk around the block with the cane when we got home. It's so much easier as a blind hippie to use a cane and hold my husband's arm, rather than holding onto a walker with both hands while he gives me directions. <lol> But I'm listening to Lefty, and if she starts to complain, I'll back off. It's hard to believe it's been almost four weeks for Lefty; and I didn't realize until @Layla mentioned it that it's been four months for Righty! And I remember when I first decided to go for THR surgery, and how scared I was. Time flies when you're having fun, or something like that. <lol>

That's great that you and your husband were able to walk your dog around the block. It sounds like you're doing really well at 4 weeks (and 4 months!) and have such a good energy level too. I probably would have been exhausted after the visit! Enjoy your evening! :flwrysmile:

Happy to hear you enjoyed your afternoon and still had the energy for a nice walk. I hope I am not being too nosey or rude but I am curious if you would normally use a white cane? My assumption is that a white cane serves a very different purpose to a support cane and wonder if you are able to use the support cane with a dual purpose safely? The way a rolling walker can take on a life of it's own would frighten me if I closed my eyes even for several seconds.

I do use a white cane, although at the moment I am not able to use it, because I use my support cane in my right hand, which is the hand I need to use for the white cane. So I hold onto my husband’s arm with my left hand, and use the support cane in my right hand. Using a walker wasn’t too bad, because it would run into objects before I did. But I don’t walk straight, so my poor husband was constantly having to give me directions, which is a challenge at times. He would say right or left, and I would either move too much or not enough. So I am glad the Walker days seem to be ending.

It's nice to read that you enjoyed Easter Sunday with acquaintances. I find you to be very inspirational.
Recovery is difficult enough as a sighted person. I can't imagine navigating it in darkness. And to think I ever whined for one minute. Bless you!
You must need to place an unimaginable amount of trust in people daily. Your husband sounds like a very loving and devoted caregiver. I'll bet you're thankful for him.

Wishing you comfort as you continue on your healing journey.
Happy Tuesday!
@kernsac

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom