BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Kernsac's Left Hip Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by kernsac, Mar 25, 2019.

1. kernsac

kernsac junior member

United States United States
    Hi, all. My left replacement has been rescheduled to tomorrow, and I'm very happy that it was moved up from the original April 4 date. It's kind of scary, and the tiniest bit frustrating, to know that I'll soon have to put all the freedom of movement and outdoor walks on hold while Lefty heals. But I'm sure Lefty will be strong enough in a few weeks to allow me to at least go outside for short periods and enjoy spring, when the flowers are in full bloom and it's warm and sunny, but not too hot. I'm hoping this second surgery will go as smoothly as the first one, but I want to let it be what it is, instead of trying to superimpose what I think it should be based on the first surgery. Will keep you all posted.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @kernsac - Thank you for letting us know the new surgery date - it's for the 26th March, right? That's what I've put in your signature. If it's not, please let us know.

Do you want to continue with two separate threads, one for each hip? It's OK if you do, but some people find it's easier to have the threads merged, so they don't have to jump from one thread to another.
    If you'd like the two threads to be merged, just say so, and we'll do it for you.

3. kernsac

kernsac junior member

yes, it is March 26. I am so excited!

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you.

5. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Now these are words of wisdom, for sure! :flwrysmile: When I read them, it also made me think of not superimposing what others say about their recoveries onto our own recoveries either. It's normal to want to be sure we are on track, but the variation among people is so huge in terms of their recovery that comparisons aren't always helpful. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow---here's hoping everything goes well!

6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Left my well wishes in your other thread.
    All the best @kernsac :friends:

7. kernsac

kernsac junior member

hello everyone. I am home from surgery. The hospital time was a lot of fun, actually. The people are so friendly, and I was feeling no pain for the most part, so it went well. I did notice that I was feeling pretty sleepy as I came out of the anesthetic. Last time, I popped awake quickly, though it took a wild for the spinal to wear off. This time, though I was aware of everything, I felt kind of groggy, and not really with it. That wore off pretty quickly. Another thing I am noticing is that this hip feels more painful. It isn’t unbearable, but it is more painful than the first one, One thing that slightly concerns me is that my family noticed that my left foot has been turning inward since the surgery. They asked the therapist who was helping me walk about it. He had noticed it, but didn’t seem too concerned. The fact that they are concerned makes me a bit concerned. But home health is coming tomorrow, so we can ask her about it. I just hope my hip wasn’t hooked up incorrectly. But the surgeon said the x-rays looked good. Maybe it is just a part of the healing process. do

8. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @kernsac Welcome to the other side and to the double hippie club. Please don't worry about your foot turning inward. Very early days. Muscles and tendons have been traumatised. Just give it time and ask about gentle stretches.

I'll leave a copy of your articles here so you can refer to them if needed.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
    6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

9. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello :wave:
    Welcome to recovery...again. Congratulations on your newest hip!
    Consider calling the office of your OS and ask to talk to a member of his care team. A nurse or PA could probably give you a logical explanation for what you're noticing with your foot, offering you peace of mind. Why worry if possible reassurance is just a phone call away...I hope your pain is well managed and you're resting comfortably at home. Wishing you a peaceful, relaxing day. :)
    @kernsac

10. Mudhen

Mudhen junior member

Kernsac
    I had the foot turning problem but not until a month later. I learned to check that my feet were pointed straight while sitting, before starting to walk, and while walking. Even so, the right foot would turn during walking ,maybe leading me right when I wanted to go straight or left. The foot would be pointed that way. etc.
    There was no pain
    The PA said , it was rare but sometimes the muscles need to be retrained.......

I have no problem now and I am 11 months out.

• Useful Useful x 2
  11. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

Best of luck with your recovery! sounds good so far.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mojo333

:hi: Double hippy friend.
    Hope you are keeping your pain managed and have been able to rest well.
    Keep that ice going :ice:
    Healing hugs coming your way!:loveshwr:

13. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Happy to see you home and that you enjoyed your little "vacation" in hospital :egypdance: Seriously though, you made the best of it when some let hospitals get them so uptight and frustrated. Get lots of rest now and ice lots for that pain.

14. kernsac

kernsac junior member

Hello again! The pain has lessened quite a bit. I told the home health lady that this hip started out more painfully than the other one, and she said it could be like childbirth, where we forget the pain. Whatever the reason, it's nice to be able to move around a bit without as much pain, though I still spend most of my time in a recliner with an ice pack. The strange thing that has developed with this hip is pain in my left pinky toe when I'm in bed. It feels as though I whacked it on something, though I haven't. It isn't bruised or anything, and I barely notice it when I'm sitting up or moving around; but at night it's annoying. The home health person wonders if it could be a nerve, or if it's from a position they had me in during surgery. Interesting, the crazy things that come up. <lol> As for my left foot turning inward, the home health lady thought perhaps it was a muscle imbalance, and didn't seem too worried. And it isn't turning inward as much now, so perhaps it was just my body's way of dealing with the pain and trauma of the surgery. So things are progressing nicely, and I should be able to have the dressing removed by Tuesday! Yay!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    @kernsac I don't know if you have had issues with Rhuematoid Arthritis. I have had it for years and when I get it in my fingers and toes, it feels like I broke the darn thing or smashed it somehow. Just a thought.

16. Layla

Great update! Thanks for sharing.
    You're doing well. Spending most of your time in the recliner right now is perfect. you really only need to take a walk every couple of hours this early on, and usually a bathroom break will take care of that.
    I hope you continue to rest comfortably (aside from the pinky toe annoyance)
    Wishing you a peaceful and relaxing weekend!
    @kernsac

17. kernsac

kernsac junior member

Home health removed my dressing today. It was pretty painful, because the adhesive had gotten quite gummy, but she took her time, and got it off. The incision it’s self looks great, but there was some redness where the adhesive had stuck to my skin, so perhaps I am allergic to it or something. She didn’t seem too worried. She also let me try walking with a cane around the house, which felt good for a while, but this afternoon Lefty started to hurt, so I went back to the Walker. I may try a few steps with the cane occasionally, but will not push it. After all, I just had surgery a week ago today. Slow and steady wins the race.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Oh for sure! I would wait a bit for the cane. I think my plan is to use the walker for about 2-3 weeks minimum and I am not giving up the cane until I am 100% confident I am not limping. I am allergic to latex but once they get it off, it settles down quite quickly. Sounds like you are doing very well overall. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mojo333

All temporary...so slow is the way to go.
    Hope today is a Good Day!:ice:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Layla

Hi :wave:@kernsac
    I too had the redness you've described and was told it was a reaction to the adhesive.

Easy to overdo the cane initially, at least I found it to be. I was so happy I was ditching that walker I practiced and practiced....then paid for it the next day. Ice and give it a rest for a day, then try it in small doses. It hasn't been too long since your last surgery so I'm sure you've got it all down. :wink:
    I hope you have a lovely day and a great rest of the week! :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1