THR Kelly's Right Hip Recovery

@CricketHip so good to hear from you! Luckily the pain settled down and now I am just taking Tylenol! This hip was more swollen and still has a big lump at the top of the bandage. I have been elevating and some icing. I could not find all the ice packs I bought last time so just have three packs in house!

I am afraid to open posh ark or Amazon outlet! Seems a bit early for holiday shopping! The teenager I had set up to walk my dog went on vacation this week, so I just took littlegirl outfor her final 20 min walk! I am so hot and sticky and tired! At least I can walk although I still use a crutch when outside. Inside I just thump around!

When Anna walked in with the fabrics for the table she said I know you will love this bird fabric and I did!!! I made the tablecloth while she used my staple gun to cover the chairs! I cannot believe I waited this long to cover them, they were so dirty! I just love the kitchen now. I put my sewing machine up a week ago thinking that I might want to do some sewing while I am around the house. I started a quilt for Wyatt who is now 8 when he was in kindergarten. I made fabric prints of his art projects.

Today I finally started sewing them together!,!

My first three weeks, everything just tasted awful! Smelled bad too. I did manage to eat high protein, high vegetable meals since I knew my healing body needed good food. I supplemented with protein shakes. I have never been one to salt my food at the table, but those first three weeks I heavily salted everything and it made it palatable.

I also ate some frozen entrees made by Healthy Choice, that were high protein and with lots of vegetables. I found they went down well because they were salty!

You went to the grocery store at one week? I didn’t feel like venturing out until 6 weeks, not counting little walks.

You are the energizer bunny! Sounds like your recovery is going really well!

My daughter brought me a bunch of protein drinks last night, so much better than trying to choke down something microwaved!!

I have never liked dinner that much, I eat my main meal at midday, by 6 pm I am no longer hungry!! I get up at 6 am and tend to run in overdrive all day and need refueling at noon!

I hit a wall at 6 or 7 and need to slow down. I think a protein drink is a good thing then and I usually read or knit or sew in the evening. I think bed thoughts at 10pm!!!!

I find it difficult to spend time in bed during the day!! It just seems wrong!! So I get up and dressed by 7 and alternate brochures like cleaning the bathroom work lounging on the couch or in a chair!! Then I exercise and walk up and down the stairs looking for things!!!

Yesterday I did some racking in the yard but pick up was hard, then I walked for 15 or 20 min outside, then aimlessly in the house sitting a chair! It just feels like the simplest things take forever!!! Making the bed used to take 5 min but this am I spent 20 min gimping around the bedroom!!! Ugh!!!!

Today the chore of the day is laundry!! I have been sleeping in the guest room downstairs but it is time to go to my room!! I need to wash the sheets on the guest room and start the progress to the upstairs room!!

Laundry first!!

Okay, I live alone, so when I have to admit that I have had a dripping pee accident in every pair of pj pants and one pair of XL leggings I bought for recovery, there is nothing but a load of laundry,, so I put erything in a plastic basket and went to the top of the basement stairs!! Yikes how could 13 steps look so long! Then I thought is it the good foot or the bad foot that goes down first? Oh yes, hell , the bad foot first!

So crutch goes down then bad foot, good foot whew! Now the laundry basket is leaning against my back and is sliding down behind me on the carpeting… what could go wrong?right?

Slowly down 13 steps I marched errrr crept, the laundry basket bumping along behind me. It was not until the next to the last step that I realized the basket was picking up speed! So, faster bad foot,good foot, crutch and again as the laundry basket sped past me and has the good grace to stay upright! Dragged it into the laundry room with pride.

Stay tuned for getting the basket back upstairs, let’s see good foot up first, right?

Maybe some sanitary / incontinence pads could help temporarily.

What about putting all the laundry in a big trash bag and tossing it down the stairs?
Would you consider asking the dog walker to retrieve the clean and dry laundry, hauling it back upstairs for you when they come to walk, Little Girl….until you’re navigating stairs with more ease? Getting the laundry downstairs is way easier than getting it back upstairs. When you go downstairs to put the clothes in the dryer, you only have to manage yourself, not the excess baggage of the laundry.

You know, when I fractured my elbow and found it difficult to navigate stairs with clean laundry, a bum hip and one arm out of commission, I happened on a solution that worked fairly well for me--one of those large canvas grocery bags with handles. other totes or a duffle bag might also work. It's just an alternative to a basket.

one of those large canvas grocery bags with handles. other totes or a duffle bag might also work
A perfect bag for this would be one of those really large blue IKEA bags that are basically featherweight, but obviously not everyone has one.

You know, I never told anyone this but I planned ahead and picked up a pack of Always disposable underwear before my surgery! I knew I’d be much slower in getting to the toilet after surgery but my biggest drip problem was getting out of bed every hour when everything was swollen and painful. I used them for 3 weeks but really only needed them for 2. They have stretchy thin sides with a built in thick pad.

I hooked the dogs' leash to the laundry basket and pulled it up after me, a step at a time. Just don't overfill so it won't spill. Then dragged it by the leash to wherever I wanted to fold the clothes. The reacher reached 'em for me.
Zoe, your comment made me remember something and LOL. A pack of incontinence pads works great right after surgery when the quickstep to the bathroom isn't as quick as it needs to be. I had purchased a pee-proof mat for my old little dog who was on lasix, so she could sleep at the foot of the bed as always. Sadly, she died before we could try it out for her...but I used it on my side of the bed for a while. You know, just in case :heehee:

Basket of laundry is up! I found I just hoisted the basket up three stairs then walked up, good foot first to the basket, then I hoisted it up three stairs repeat!! Repeat!

I am going to wait until tommorow to hoist up my clothing back to my troom

Lol ski girl you remind me of myself. I just can't stand it I have to stay busy cant stay still.

I know, it is a personality disorder! After the laundry my three grandchildren came over until 6 pm. I was the referee but I made the kids fetch for themselves!

Tonight I have pain on my incision where there is a big lump. I called the doctor and the nurse told me it happens all the time. I can walk with no crutch but I still have that pain at the bottom of my incision and at the iliac crest. Have been taking 1000 mags of tylenol 3 times per day. Pain is bearable

@skigirl This is amazing! Walking without any aid and only 10 days post-op! I envy you...

I went to lunch today with friends but used one cane.
I am taking 1000mgs of Paracetamol 3 times a day, Arcoxia (an NSAID) once a day, and Lyrica once a day.

You are way ahead of me! Kudos to you!
:loveshwr:

It's amazing how we "invent" new ways of doing chores! And when we succeed in getting them accomplished, big happy dance:dancy:!
I think you are doing great but don't overdo either.
Stay well

LOL it is true I had the pleased expression of a two year old when I put my clean clothing away!

Today I realized something else! I have a really deep tub with jets in it that is so hard to get in and out of! I ordered a handle from Amazon but I barely stays on, the tub wall is so thick. Layla showed me a step made for deep tubs and it has helped a lot. Last night my daughter brought the walker the hospital gave me in from the curb, it has two wheels in the back. When she put it down I realized you could lock the sides in place when they are not fully open. I had her carry it upstairs for me and sure enough, with the sides partially open, but clicked in it fit into my deep tub. So today I took a shower by stepping up on the step and reaching in to the walker for stability. I stepped in withoperated leg first, grabbed the walker which was facing the shower head and then drew in my non op leg by bending at the knee! That was the first time ihave ever gotten into that tub safely supported! I do have a large rubber shower mat that the walker is sitting on. I am leaving the walker in the tub forever, there was plenty of room for me to wash my hair and shower!

That was the first time ihave ever gotten into that tub safely supported!
Would the item below work as a permanent solution, rather than the walker?
Personally, I wouldn’t trust those adhesive grab bars.

Check this out -
Bathtub Grab Bar Safety Rail - Here

Layla that is exactly what I have on my tub. It is just not quite wide enough. It is on my tub but not completely sturdy. But it is what I have been using.

The walker in the tub is so much sturdier and easy to use. I was shocked at how well it fit in! Really it is the answer I have sought for a long time! You helped with the step which is the perfect accommodation!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back