THR Kelly's Right Hip Recovery

Yes Layla they were always easy for me.in fact I can do them now but what I cannot do is move my right leg to the right side! Which I was able to do with the last hip. My right leg cannot fully support me either. It was a shock at first but now I can see the swelling in my leg near the incision.

I had log leg and couldn't move my leg to the side or move it up with my knee bent. My home pt had me try on each of his visits, and was very happy with about an inch of movement at the end of the first week. The log leg lasts as long as it lasts, and only needs gentle movement when you try.
I gotta say, I about fell off my chair here when I saw mention of clamshells days after surgery! My OneStep pt didn't advise them until much later, maybe a month or six weeks, and even then I told her nope, not ready for that. I had read someone's thread here at Bonesmart and she was given clams and bridges early on and dislocated during her exercises. Too much too soon can lead to bad things, no matter how ready we might think we are.
Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Please, dear @skigirl :beg:
Try not to force your leg to perform before the surgical trauma has had a chance to recover.
I had anterior approach and was given No restrictions by my OS but my PT said there are risks of dislocation early on with different exercises for different approaches.
Even if you don't dislocate, it really is counter-productive.
Clamshells particularly ...

For example: someone who has had an anterior incision hip replacement surgery. Many are restricted or banned from doing hip extension exercises like the bridge for a specific amount of time post surgery. In addition, they are educated to avoid external rotation of the hip which would include an exercise like the clam shell. If people do not adhere to these restrictions and guidelines, they run the risk of having a hip dislocation.

I had read someone's thread here at Bonesmart and she was given clams and bridges early on and dislocated during her exercises.
:yikes: Warning…avoid clamshells and bridges for your own safety early on, BoneSmart members. It’s not worth taking a chance with these exercises.

Bridges - can cause generalized tendonitis particularly in quads, glutes and hamstrings
bridges.JPG

See Clamshell visual in post #40 above, on this thread.

Kelly, is it OneStep that’s recommending Clamshells so early on in your recovery, or is the exercise just one you’ve chosen to do on your own? I‘d certainly hate to see you hurt yourself just when you’re beginning to get back to the life and activity you enjoy.

No it is OneStep that is recommending the exercises. I cannot do clamshells because I cannot lie on my operative side!

Every thing else is straightforward ankle pumps, quad sets and moving the leg to the side and up

I feel so much better today , no more pain meds iTool 1000 mg of t Tylenol this am and will take again in pm!! Otherwise I am starting to move. My crutches have been so i
Uncomfortable I finall sat and looked at them
And the legs were two clicks too long!!! As soon as I adjusted them, I could use them again. My grandkids sometimes play with them,, they must have changed the settings!!

Luckily for me I recorded the settings I used last time!!! They feel comfortable again! Now I can put the stupid walker in the back of the closet!!

I managed to get up get dressed and fed myself! Tomorrow is the shower day, I almost feel like myself sgain

Hi @skigirl , good to know that you are feeling better today! And good to see you sorted out the crutches problem! Getting around on crutches does feel so much better than using a walker!

Kelly, I'm glad to see you're on this side of surgery, but sorry to hear this leg has brought you some new challenges. Our bodies tend to play that nasty trick on us sometimes and one surgery really shouldn't be compared to another. But you know that.....I'm just glad to hear things are improving. Even though your OneStep therapist has recommended you do some clam shells and bridges, they really aren't necessary this early in recovery. You can always politely tell her that you'd like to wait to start them for a couple of weeks. Your body will let you know when you are ready to do a little more.

Hi @skigirl , good to know that you are feeling better today! And good to see you sorted out the crutches problem! Getting around on crutches does feel so much better than using a walker!
O gosh yes! I can move so much faster too, I felt like I was crawling along with that walker . I could finally walk the dog around the block!,

@Jamie so nice to hear from you! Yesterday I started feeling badly and I realized I had been up with the children for hours. Then when they left I could not sleep!

I feel so lazy, it is 6 am and I am still in bed, just lying here! Last night I could see that the right hip and thigh are swollen, so I am propped up with pillows!

I put the walker away, I can walk with one crutch pretty easily but I cannot go very far! I went to the end of the street and back with the dog, but I was tired when I got back. I can only walk a few steps without the crutch. So I am stuck with it for another week at least! It is so boring to lie here with my leg propped up, I feel like I have been rehabbing my parts for years,

I feel so lazy, it is 6 am and I am still in bed, just lying here!
Please don’t feel lazy. Your body just experienced an assault. Even though the controlled trauma was planned, as opposed to accidental, it’s still something your body is working hard to repair. Feeling tired is normal after major surgery and the energy of grandkids moving around like whirling dervishes can be exhausting. I understand through personal experience.

Kelly, maybe walking the dog to the end of the street is too far in these early days. I like the advice I‘ve read here many times about walking one house, or one mailbox further each day, comfortably, rather than asking your healing body to exert more energy than it has as it works first to repair the wound and all that lies beneath. Since our body does it’s best healing as we’re sleeping, you are helping the process along by giving in to rest and sleep which will help you reach your ultimate goal more quickly.

I am sorry you feel like you’ve been rehabbing healing joints for years. I can imagine why you feel this way after multiple surgeries and recoveries. You’ve also suffered great loss over the past few years and traumatic stress with your most recent loss. There is a lot of healing happening both physically and emotionally, give in and allow your body the time it needs to get back to healthy and strong. With time, and lots of TLC, which you deserve, you’ll soon be back to where you want to be.
Wishing you a peaceful, relaxing day! :wink:

Kelly, bless your heart. You have never been one to sit still for very long. I know this is hard for you, but try to keep in mind that these first few months of allowing your body to properly heal are soooo very important to a successful recovery. Listen to your body and don't feel guilty about it if it's telling you to slow down a bit. Some recoveries go like a breeze and others require a bit more time and care for your new joint. There is no way to predict which you'll get, but your body will sure let you know. Your goal is to keep swelling and pain minimized.

Are you icing for the swelling? That can make a difference and it usually makes people feel more comfortable. Also, don't hesitate to take something - even just Tylenol - for any pain. These are things you can do to help your body recover.

Sleep may be difficult for a while, so nap or just sleep when you can. This is not a time to put yourself on any type of regimented schedule. You will only be disappointed when your body doesn't choose to cooperate with you at times.

Your are only one short week out from this major life event. Write yourself a big message for the frig that says, "Chill, my friend. This is "me" time!" Post it along with the healing chart:

1656817634349.png

Sending lots of ((((HUGS)))) your way to help you cope with these next few weeks.

@skigirl , thinking about you and hoping today is a restful one and that your swelling has subsided!
Mine swell up a few days ago, but that was because I drank two glasses of champagne!!

Don't push yourself to walk too much on the single crutch - it's early days yet. Slow n steady wins the game!!!

Today I have been feeling terrible and coughing a lot!! I finally realized that I am having asthma!!! The same thing happened last time because my doctor used aspirin as a blood thinner!! I told him about it at the time!! But he obviously did not look on my chart because he did it again!! Anna had put my meds in little plastic bags so I had not really gone over them!!!! I called and the doctor on call changed it to Xarelto!

I have used my inhalers if I can get rid of the asthma I will be fine!!!!

I have the walker out on the curb free for all!!
I am using one crutch in the house but I can walk around without it. I used both crutches when I took the dog out, but I really only need one! Is there any protocol for getting rid of crutches? I think I used them for two weeks last time? I might need one more outside but I don’t really need one inside but I do limp without it

That’s funny your walker is out for curbside shoppers! Mine is in the spare bedroom where I am still sleeping. Our nights alternate from cold to warm so the walker makes a perfect blanket holder for the twin size comforter or summer blanket,

I have been off oxy since day 3, it just made me so woozy! This am I managed to shower and dress myself, today is Monday so the beginning of week two! I feel sort of weak I am having trouble eating, nothing tastes good have had yogurt for breakfast and dinner! Heat stuff up in the microwave and it is just blah!

I have decided that I have to walk outside I just cannot stand being in the house all day, I need some protein drinks so will Uber over to trader Jo’s to pick some up! I have decided to use one crutch outside the house, just for stability! The dog and I will go for a short adventure!

Okay Little Girl and I managed to get past 10 houses and back for a 20 min stroll! I felt good being outside but I am really tired right now!, it was hopeful for me that I am walking well ia heel to toe with just the one crutch. Now what to do for the remaining 10 hours!?

Oh my @skigirl Look at you! You are quite the Ever ready bunny. :snork:

I'm just now able to catch up on threads and so sorry you had more pain this time around. My second hip was much more painful than the first hip, also. But you seem to be rallying well.

I loved the picture of your table with it's new oufit (table cloth and chair cushions.)

As for what to do for the remaining 10 hours? How about something less strenuous? Do you have any friends that you owe a note to? Or email? Is it too soon to do holiday shopping? I swear I spent soooo much money at the QVC site while I recuperated! That ended up hurting more than the surgery!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom