Bilateral TKR Kathi777's New Knees

These new knees sure like to move, don't they? I agree mine are more limber when I do a lot of walking, like my daily walk and then some errands, rather than those days where I sit at my desk writing for hours. Might have to take up shopping as a hobby! :rofsign:

I'm going to be totally honest, @Kathi 777 . You were an inspiring factor in me beginning a walking routine last March. I used to love to walk, but of course all the pain from bad knees changed that. But when you were walking so much after a bilateral, I thought, certainly I can walk 3.5 years later. Now I just walk 2 miles a day at this point and only when it isn't too hot. But the difference in my knee is unbelievable. Mine does like activity and walking specifically. I still get on my recumbent bike, but walking has helped me to stand longer with no pain and of course walk while shopping or other activities.

I still pray for motivation to get up and walk, but you were an inspiring factor. Thank you!

@KarriB thank you! if I can help one person my day is complete. I feel like a new woman with the bilateral knees done... and it was a long time coming.... if you are interested i will pm you about it. I felt like I needed to make up for lost time and get moving! I feel better when I get a couple 2 mile hikes in a day and I am shooting for 10,000 steps or more a day.. every day. getting my heart rate up and burning off a few lbs. I always have been a walker... hiker and for the past few years I could not.. I also don't like to walk if it's too hot,but the country road is shady so I do try to get my steps in.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I'm at 5 months and have just recently stepped up my walking. It's nice that we have a cool spell going so it doesn't bother me. I couldn't stand it during the horrible hot humid weather we had been having.

Even though my knee feels tighter when I'm done I feel like my thighs and the sides of my knee feels stronger. I'm still icing every evening before bed and that really feels good. My goal is to work my way up to 10,000 steps a day. I do find it a different kind of exercise than riding my stationary bike. It feels like a better all around workout. Plus I'm hoping to drop a few pounds in the process :)

I try to walk first thing in the am, something I read about it being the best time to burn calories, plus right now it's the coolest time of day. Although I've biked since my TKR, walking has done so much more for my stamina. My sister is a runner and today (as we often do in the summer) we ran into each other on the route. We stood and chatted for 15-20 minutes, something I wouldn't have been able to do comfortably 5 months ago. I'm glad the BTKR has worked out and given your life back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swimming is great for your whole body! Unfortunately, I have a hard time with the chlorinated air hanging about indoor pools. I miss swimming a lot! But I'll have a treadmill in my basement for winter. I don't like me it as much as outdoor walking, but it'll have to do when it snows.

Swimming is the best! My favorite exercise, though I haven't done it (laps) in years, and it also engenders an expense, in my case for the health club. Still, I hope it is good exercise for me this winter.

Walking has been wonderful for me. First of all, I like it and enjoy getting to know my neighborhood again. Since surgery, I've lost 25 pounds. That I'm now walking ten times as many steps in a day explains that!

One of the many blessings conferred by this surgery is that of being ABLE to exercise again!

I agree @SusieShoes I like walking and doing exercise! mainly outside and hiking but the gym is good with the pool. has anyone ever heard that the TKR was only good for 10 yrs? i had someone tell me that .today! scary!

My OS said these modern TKRs can last for 20+ years, especially if you look after them eg. no running etc.

And my OS said they last 30 years and maybe more. He said no one really knows how long the newest implants will last... yet. My mom's implants have lasted more than ten years and are still going strong. :ok:

I go to the pool 3 days a week. You will enjoy it!! My mom's OS said 30 years and my OS just gave me % of failure rate every 5 years or something like that. I can't remember. But. I do know, based on the screws and bone growth of my tibia piece - it's not going anywhere unless my bone was to break. :)

My dad had his first TKR 18-19 years ago with no problems.

has anyone ever heard that the TKR was only good for 10 yrs? i had someone tell me that .today! scary!
That used to be what they said and it was a reason why surgeons said people were "too young" for a knee replacement and made them wait until they were over 65.

Nowadays, we know that knee replacements can last for 30-40 years and the previous thinking is outdated.
Unfortunately, some surgeons still preach that old theory, though.

@Celle it is good to hear that it's outdated! I want to do all I can now... walk, hike, yard work etc... worrying about wearing my knees out would be counter productive!

Use your knee as you would have used your normal knee. That's what knee replacement should all be about - getting back the life you want.

well, after waiting 7 months I went to dr. and it seems I have arthritis in my lower back... mystery solved. I go for my one yr check up Thursday! ( bilateral knee replacements )

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back