BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] Kath0427 Recovery Begins Today<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Kathy0427, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hugs to you as you go through this recovery. We all have different aspects of its difficulty. Knowing we are not alone is very important. We don’t always come face to face with someone who understands, but through this forum, there are many who do understand. :console2:

2. Kathy0427

Kathy0427 junior member

@Jamie, I plan to provide more of an update later today, but - for now - any suggestions for highly rated revision surgeons in either Cleveland (Cleveland Clinic?) , Pittsburgh or Arlington, VA. areas?
    Thanks for your help.

Quick update:
    I was told by my hematologist I could discontinue Eliquis and take a baby aspirin for a one month trial, which is over this coming week. I have also added Naproxen once a day ( hematologist said it was okay) . Unfortunately, the pain is still persisting - just a burning, searing pain in the middle of my knee cap stretching down toward the shin area.
    May need a second set of eyes on my right knee if my original OS still does nothing when I see him in a couple of weeks.
    Thanks in advance!
    Kathy

3. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Here you go. These surgeons are some options for you to check out:

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center

Dr. Lawrence S. Crosset
    Knee and hip revisions. Excellent reputation and featured on Wright's live surgery videos.

Washington DC area

Dr. Stuart Melvin III
    Washington DC and Chevy Chase
    (hip and knee revisions)

Cleveland, Ohio

Dr. Viktor Krebs
    Cleveland Clinic
    Primary and revision hips and knees
    Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees

Dr. Bernie Stulberg(Cleveland) - works with high BMI patients
    Dr. Ken Greene(Medina) - works with high BMI patients

Here's another service that might interest you:

Virtual doctor appointments are available from Cleveland Clinic:
    The Cleveland Clinic ortho site suggests they have a very reasonably priced virtual visit and a remote consultation review.

Virtual Visits with Orthopaedics
    Select patients now can see our providers online from their home or office by using the Cleveland Clinic Express Care® Online tool. This service allows patients a fast, secure and easy way to receive care from their healthcare team in a live virtual visit using a smartphone (iPhone or Android), tablet or computer. The benefits of choosing a virtual visit include no travel or parking, less waiting, significant time savings, no facility fee and the convenience of seeing your physician from wherever you choose.

Virtual visits with an orthopedic surgeon.

New patients with common knee injuries or knee pain.

Established patients scheduling follow-up care appointments such as:

Post-Surgical & wound check visits
    Fracture care follow-up
    Injection follow-up
    Musculoskeletal injury follow-up
    Per-operative teaching prior to surgery
    Ask your physician if a virtual visit follow-up appointment is right for your follow-up care.

What is the cost of an orthopaedic virtual visit?

New patients: $75
    Follow-up visits: $49
    Post-surgical visits: $0*
    Fracture care visits: $0*
    *Within 90 days of incident.
    If you would like to use Express Care Online for your next visit, please call your provider’s office. If you are eligible, our team will schedule your virtual visit and provide details on the cost of your appointment and setup instructions.

MyConsult

The MyConsult online medical second opinion service securely connects you to the specialty physician expertise you need when you are faced with a serious diagnosis. Following a thorough review of your medical records and diagnostic tests, Cleveland Clinic experts render a medical second opinion that includes treatment options or alternatives, as well as recommendations regarding your future therapeutic considerations.
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/departments/orthopaedics-rheumatology/appointments-locations

Akron, Ohio

Dr. Paul Wilke
    Akron General Orthopedics/Cleveland Clinic
    224 W. Exchange Street
    Ste 440
    Akron. Ohio 44302
    330-344-2663

Knee and hip revisions.

4. Kathy0427

Kathy0427 junior member

@Jamie, thanks so much for your suggestions.
    Unfortunately, I have a little experience with Dr. Crosset. Maybe ten or so years ago, he was my mother’s doctor. Did a hip replacement for her and continued to see him for her back. My Mom was about ninety at the time and was having some very bad issues with her back and had fallen. When we finally got in to see him -after a very long wait that was VERY uncomfortable for her- he proceeded to make her lay flat on her back (VERY painful for her!) and he invited at least five interns in while he examined her. In her presence he announced she “ had the worst back he had ever seen” and proceeded to point out certain areas that were “useless to address at her age”. He was definitely more interested in training those doctors than actually helping my mom. It was as if she wasn’t even present. I was SO angry I could hardly keep my mouth shut. She didn’t want me “ to make him mad”. So, although he did a good job on her hip, I was very angry with his treatment. He acted as if she was a cadaver! And his poking and prodding - plus insisting on her laying FLAT - exacerbated her issues, without helping her. His answer to her visit was to admit her for “observation” to Presbyterian Hospital and release her two days later after several tests showed “nothing new”, with her pain still great. (BTW, it took a geriatric doctor at a nursing home to prescribe gabapentin, which did end up helping her, two weeks after her visit to the hospital to see Dr. Crosset. You see, we had visited him in the first place because she had fallen down steps a week previous and we thought she had suffered some damage to her back.)
    Anyway, he may be a fine surgeon, but his awareness of his patient’s needs is somewhat lacking. My poor older Mom’s spirit was quite broken after that horrific visit and his insensitivity. So, Dr. Crosset is out. His “thing” might be more teaching at this point in his career, rather than helping individual patients.
    I am thinking about seeing the doctor suggested at Cleveland Clinic . My current doctor is Dr. Brian Hamlin. I like his personality very much and he seems exceedingly kind and not at all egocentric like it seems many orthopedic surgeons are. He is a revisionist surgeon already, which is partly why I chose him - for Dr. DiGoia’s patients. They are in practice together. (Dr. Anthony DiGoia at Magee did my brother’s replacement, but he won’t consider you unless you are not in any obese category. Unfortunately, I still am, not morbidly so- but still in that range in weight.)
    Dr. Klatt is also listed highly at UPMC, but - because I once had a blood clot in my leg - he told me “ no one would touch me!”.
    I received a private message from Sheryl @Me2, so I may pursue seeking a second opinion at someone out of the UPMC network. For those of you who don’t know- we in Pittsburgh have been having a terrible time with two warring health networks - UPMC and Highmark. UPMC demands exclusivity, they will not admit patients with Highmark insurance unless the Highmark patient pays up front. Highmark has bought the Allegheny General Hospitals yo make certain their patients have care in the long run. It’s a terrible situation right now, as you seem to need to choose between them for your care; it’s a UPMC doctor if you have UPMC insurance or an AGH doctor ( and hospital) if you have Highmark. However, that division is being sought and enforced by UPMC, not Highmark. UPMC seems to want to control the patient via funneling you with their insurance policies into their hospitals and have a very aggressive business plan to - especially - get you into their Medicare Advantage plans, so then they control everything . You see their doctors, therapists, and have a prescription plan through them! I still have a Medicare/ Medigap combination, so they still need to see me because my primary insurance is Medicare. But - who knows - if UPMC gets powerful enough, they might want to shut out us folks also. Very scary! And they wonder why the public is looking at single payer or Medicare for All!
    Sorry, all this is off topic now, but I wanted to thank you for your suggestions to me. I do think I will need to pursue this as I am now seven plus months into my recovery and something is definitely wrong with this replacement !
    Kathy

5. Jockette

I’m sorry that doctor put your mom through that.

Years ago my mom broke her pelvis. Several days after she was discharged home we had to go to the office for a follow up. It was very hard for her getting in and out of the car, riding in the car, we waited a long time in the waiting room where she sat uncomfortably, they had me fill out pages and pages of forms, then asked all those questions verbally. The doctor spent 5 minutes with us, and we had to repeat the difficult effort to go home. I was so mad.

I hope you find one you are comfortable with.

6. Kathy0427

Kathy0427 junior member

Hi, @Jockette. So good to hear from you.
    Yes, having my Mom live with me in her nineties showed me that doctors seem, in general, to treat the very elderly as if they were no longer there! My mother was a little hard of hearing but was fairly cognizant of her issues and deserved to have these doctors speak to her directly. Instead, doctors (men as well as women) would always talk to me! It was as if they thought she needed an interpreter.

A few times I got up the guts to tell them to speak to HER and not me, as she was his/ her patient! But then she would ruin it all by looking at me if she was asked a question. She had lost faith in her own ability to answer these guys on her own! Eventually, since it seemed at the end she must have had ten doctors we were seeing, they began to speak to her. Then, unfortunately, a time came where they DID need to address me all the questions. Sigh!

As far as myself, I am still up in the air about whether to pursue a second opinion at this point. I am at seven months post TKR and have had no consistent relief yet. Pain varies in nature (mostly burning, but sometimes extreme tightness). I am thinking, again, this may be nerve pain.

Sometimes, when I go swimming and do some hamstring stretching, I do seem to get some “low pain” periods. Go figure! Today is such a day, while last weekend - when I couldn’t swim - was quite painful. Drives you crazy! I discussed getting an allergy test with my OS’ PA today. Seems I would need to pay $500 out of pocket for this test, plus, from what I read, it’s still not totally indicative of whether you are allergic to it or not. Apparently, some people who appear to be allergic to some metals -per the test- never develop pain nor have to have the implant replaced.

Now, I am curious about whether you have braved getting another opinion about your ongoing pain? Your visit to the revisionist that “ blew you off” would make me feel just like you. VERY ANGRY!
    But, don’t give up; you give all of us such great feedback and are so very kind. I just know your good time is coming!

Thank, always, for your kind feedback.
    Kathy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jockette

I have wondered about a metal allergy for my situation. Sometimes I have an itchy burning sensation in The Spot that always bothers me. If a doctor agreed to order one for me I would gladly pay for it.

I’ve heard good things about that blood test from that lab in Chicago.

I had another second opinion last month and again, my new X-rays taken that day look great. I asked about a bone scan but he didn’t think it would reveal anything. At least this doctor was very nice and actually read and discussed my list of concerns! If it ever appears that I need a revision I think I could work with this surgeon.

I’m the mean time I just keep on keeping on, in spite of the pity party I had last week on my 2 year knee anniversary.

I hope as time goes on you will see improvement. It sure does get discouraging at 7 months and beyond to still feel bad.

8. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear of your poor experience with Dr. Crosset. But, I'm glad you wrote because we do value the feedback from people who have dealings with the surgeons out there. I've had some good feedback on this doctor, so I think you may be right that he wasn't fully engaged with your mother for whatever reason. It's sad when a good doctor does that to a patient.

Best of luck to you with the doctor(s) you plan to see. Be sure and take written questions and information for them about what's been going on. I would love to hear how each of your visits goes so I can hopefully add more good surgeons in your area to my list.

As for the healthcare systems you have in Pittsburgh, what a horrible situation! It is certainly leaving the patients out in the cold. I pray that another carrier will see the potential and open up policies for you. There are many good insurance companies out there, but sadly not all of them serve all parts of the country. I've heard of a couple of other states that are having similar problems with one or two of the giant companies that require you to stay "in network" for care. I've got my fingers crossed you can overcome that and find the right doctor to help you.