BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] Kate's recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Hipmumma44, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Hipmumma44

Hipmumma44 Junior Member

Australia Australia
    Hi all

I am 29 and had a total hip replacement yesterday (10/2) due to hip dysplasia.

Surgery went well and I survived the first night. Did not manage to get much sleep at all with the constant noises and medication and checks etc.

Saw the physio this morning and managed to stand and walk 5m with a walking frame. It felt good to be upright after laying on my back in bed for so long! The rest of today has been pretty uneventful. Trying to manage my pain and get some rest. The medication was making me itchy so trying to find the right balance.

When did others start to feel some improvements? Am i through the worst or will this continue a bit longer?

2. chatterz

chatterz Member

United States United States
    Congrats on your surgery going well! Someone will be along to give you some "homework" to read. There is so much helpful information on this site and you'll find answers to any questions you can think up. The recovery process is so different for all of us, but you're in the early stages of recovery, so you'll need to give yourself some time to heal.

3. Cas

Cas Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Hipmumma44 Hi so glad your op went well. Yes things do get better as time passes. Am sure someone will post the bonesmart mantras for you soon. Recovery is different for everyone and some take longer than others however you have youth on your side! For the mo just rest, ice and elevate and look after that great new hip. Happy recovery.

4. Hipmumma44

Hipmumma44 Junior Member

Australia Australia
    Thank you @Cas and @chatterz :)
    Tonight has been a little better so far.

Any idea how long I will need to continue sleeping on my back? I feel too sore to want to roll at the moment but looking forward to being able to change position.

5. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Welcome to the other side! Did your surgeon impose any restrictions like sleeping on your back? If they did, it may be 6 weeks before you can side sleep. Ask staff there for clarification.

Here are your recovery articles to refer to during this process. If you have any questions or concerns just post them here on this thread and we will be along to help.
    First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
    - be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Activity progression for THRs
    Home physio (PT)
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

6. Hipmumma44

Hipmumma44 Junior Member

Australia Australia
    Well it is day 6 of recovery so here is an update.

Day 2 was shakey. I did a very short walk with the physio using a frame and then attempted a shower. Thankfully the nurse remained in the room because I blacked out. It was a scary experience, I was out for 30 seconds and very confused and scared when I came to. My room suddenly had 4 nurses, 2 doctors and a physio squeezed into. I spent most of the day from there in bed feeling light headed.

Day 3 was much better. Managed a quick shower and was finally free of all the cords etc. Lots of visits from family and a slightly longer walk out of my room and down the corridor. I was able to walk a little further each time I tried so it felt good.

Day 4 more of the same. Graduated to using crutches, noticed a real improvement in pain levels and was generally feeling quite well. Still had not managed a bowel movement since surgery which concerned the nurses who mixed me up quite a cocktail of laxatives. By night my tummy was gurgling and had a little movement with the help of an enema (sorry for the overshare but yikes I was not prepared).

Day 5 I woke feeling quite ill, light headed and stomach cramps. Had to delay any physio or shower until close to lunch time. Eventually started to feel a bit better and was able to come home. It was probably my toughest day yet. I was so excited to get home and see our 1 year old daughter. It was great to see her and she has changed so much in 5 days! But it is also so so hard as I cannot lift her or play like we used to and she slipped and fell and I could not help her. My parents are here and a great help.

Day 6- today I can feel the post op blues setting in. It is so frustrating not being able to do anything and feeling so needy!! I know this is not forever and things will improve but I am struggling a bit. This forum helps so thank you.

7. Hipmumma44

Hipmumma44 Junior Member

Australia Australia
    Oh, and sleep! I am finding it very difficult to come by. I don't usually sleep on my back so it is hard to get comfortable.

8. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Wow day 2 must have been scary for you! I'm at day 2 now so interesting to see how things have been for you.
    Sending you healing thoughts for continued good recovery!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

9. Hipmumma44

Hipmumma44 Junior Member

Australia Australia
    Thank you @JenJuniper
    How are you feeling? Did surgery go well?

Everyone is different but day 2 and 5 were hard for me in different ways. Today has been good once I gave myself a pep talk and got stuck into some reading and calling friends :)

10. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Haha I know what you mean about the pep talk! I had the 'stop feeling sorry for myself' chat yesterday as a was having a little cry but actually things were good, and I haven't really been in pain so what was I crying about
    Surgery was fab, better than expected, and liking being in my safe bubble in hospital, but a little nervous about going home.
    I cannot imagine what it's like for you to be at home with a 1 year old...! Wow, that must be intense and of course difficult not to able to do those mummy things. But shes young enough not to remember much and by the time you're fully recovered, just think how wonderful it will be to be able to do everything with her!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 1
  11. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

Everyone gets the postOp blues in some form or another- the anxiety In the lead up to and the trauma of the surgery itself cause a massive build up of adrenaline. This is usually followed by a big dump when all the emotions come out. I decided it was a mixture of frustration with my own body (not being able to do everything I wanted or needed to do coupled with relying on others) and poor sleep.

I'm not sure what restrictions your OS has imposed but if you are interpreting sleeping on your back literally then this may be causing you to be more uncomfortable than necessary. You don't have to lie flat on your back- just don't lie on your side (if that's what you've been instructed to do). I found the most comfortable position was to pile up lots of feather pillows behind me so I was resting semi-reclined and then placing a small soft cushion or rolled up towel under my knees. This took the strain off my lower back and made a big difference. Try not to allow yourself to get too blue about not getting a long night's sleep - generally you may find you get a few hours at a time, but this will improve gradually. Have TV remote, magazines, iPad or phone to hand to occupy yourself and resolve to catch up with daytime naps. And don't forget that somewhere in the world there will be a Bonesmartie who is also awake and wanting to chat

If bowel movements are still a problem don't resort to laxatives as they will give you uncomfortable cramps. Use stool softeners from the chemist if necessary but I found prunes and warmed prune juice plus lots of water as well as fruit and vegetables kept things on the move.

You're still early days and it is hard to imagine life will return to some sort of normality again - but it will, and what's more it will be better because all that pain and reliance on medication will be gone. Be patient and be kind to your body and allow it a bit of slack - it's been through a bit of an upheaval but the future is much rosier.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cas

Cas Senior

@Hipmumma44 Hi again. Wow you have had a bad couple of days but things can only get better now. It must be hard having a one year old to deal with. The frustrating thing is you feel so helpless but this will only be for a short time and you will get better day by day. I think we all have times when we can't sleep it's par for the course!!! Also then energy slump can hit you and you just have to sleep. This too gets easier as you get back to a good sleep pattern so don't worry it's quite normal. if you can't sleep read, watch tv, knit!!, do puzzles. At one time I was more night owl than day bird LOL!!!! It didn't last for long. Just think next spring/summer you will be able to have pain free happy times with your little one and it will feel great. keep going and remember we are all here for you - some even all night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hipmumma44

Hipmumma44 Junior Member

Australia Australia
    Thank you @Jaycey for the welcome :) My surgeon said that I can sleep on my back or on my operated side with a pillow between my legs however my side is still far too sore and swollen to consider doing this.

14. cpollock

cpollock New Member

Canada Canada
    Don't you mean your good side? Just confirming. I hope you get the rest you need.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

15. Hipmumma44

Hipmumma44 Junior Member

Australia Australia
    No, my information definitely says the operated side. I thought it was strange but my surgeon explained that is his preference to reduce the risk of my new hip 'crossing the midline' if I were to lie on my good side.

Thank you. I think accepting that sleep will be difficult for a little while has made it easier to cope with.

16. Hipmumma44

Hipmumma44 Junior Member

Australia Australia
    Thanks @Cas it really does help having everyone on here for support and not feeling so alone. You're right! By next summer I will be out walking and playing and enjoying time with my daughter pain free :) I need to remember to focus on the bigger picture and not get stuck feeling useless in these first 6 weeks.

17. Cas

Cas Senior

@Hipmumma44 Good for you. Keep those positive thoughts. You're doing fine. Happy healing.