TKR Kate's Knee Knews

Menards hardware store, it's a national chain. I like doing wood floors and floor tile, so these are a must have.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Well, no more weekly travel for this road warrior; was laid off from my job today. I'm still kind of numb and in shock, didn't see it coming at all. Guess it's time to decide what I want to be when I grow up :sad:

I won't miss the traveling too much, although my husband and I definitely enjoyed the perks over the years, with the airline points, hotel points, etc. We're still going to take our usual February anniversary trip to someplace warm since I have the points accrued anyway.

While I won't miss the travel, I will miss my job, which I enjoyed very much. I was a software trainer, working in hospitals and clinics and training care providers in speech recognition and some of their electronic medical record systems. I'm hoping to find something different along the same line, have to see what's out there. For now, I'm going to enjoy the weekend - husband and I are going to Minneapolis to see his son, DIL and new grandson, haven't seen him since he was 2 weeks old and now he's 12 weeks. I'm going to take care of him while the rest of them go to a MN Gophers football game on Saturday, and we're all going to the MN Vikings game on Sunday. We were supposed to fly from there to San Diego, me to work, DH to play, scuba dive, etc. Guess now we'll just drive home after the game ...

So sorry to hear your news. Sounds like you are doing okay, though, at least you are able to write about it and share the news. It is supposed to be sunny here in Minneapolis this weekend, which should help, and seeing your new grandson should provide a lot of comfort. Again, I'm sorry to hear about your job and hope you find an even better job soon.

So sad to hear your news. I would be devastated if that happened to me. It is also my husband's greatest fear. I hope you are able to find something else soon.

I was out of work for seven months in 2012, having been laid off unexpectedly as you were. I then got the job I have now that I love so much. I spent so much of that time worrying, and in retrospect I wish I had taken better advantage of the long break. So smart of you to continue with your February plans. And now you will have a chance to get to know that baby better. Good luck with your job search, but enjoy your break.

So sorry for the lay off. I hate it when it comes out of nowhere! Use this time to find something else that you can love. My last job before my husband retired was my most favorite! I had to quit and move to the mtns with him! Lol! Sometimes, even better things come from these unexpected situations! Enjoy that sweet baby!

@SDkate -- I am so sorry to hear the news of your job loss! What a terrible shock. Thinking positive thoughts that you will find a job you like even better.

sorry to hear your job news ... may cast a temporary pall, but hope your silver lining is not far away

meanwhile, relax and enjoy your time with family

Sorry to hear about your job. Maybe it's a sign that better things are to come. Enjoy the time off and have a nice little vacation. Here in Florida February is nice and warm to visit. Beautiful beaches and great food is waiting for you! Maybe a little fishing.

@Pescara We've been to the Keys a couple of times and really enjoyed it, think we're probably going back there in February. The last time we were there we did go fishing, just my hubby, the boat captain and I, and we had a great time, caught a lot of fish. It's kind of hard for my DH as he's the Captain in his own boat and fishes the lakes around here for walleye and perch, been catching a lot lately.

I've got some thoughts about searching for a job and have something in mind that I'd like to do, need to find out if there's any opportunities in my area. But, over this weekend I'm going to forget about work or lack thereof, and enjoy our grandson, the football game, and hanging out in Minneapolis.

I live about 5 miles from Anna Maria Island that has Coquina Beach that's gorgeous. What type of work are you looking for. You can get the newspaper online for Sarasota and Bradenton. Enjoy your time with your grandson

We had an enjoyable weekend visiting Jim's son, his wife and baby Hendrix. He's a sweet baby, just starting to smile, had him up on my shoulder, he looked into my face and gave me a beautiful smile. Then a few minutes later he spit up all over me. Good thing babies are cute and sweet. We had a good time at the football game, ended up parking about 8 blocks from the stadium, so got in quite a walk.

With my current lack of job but have my insurance coverage continued until the end of December (as well as out of pocket met), I'm considering having my right knee replaced sooner than later. It hurts intermittently, but I haven't gone through the years of steroid injections, lubricant injections, etc., that I did with my left knee prior to surgery, so don't know if it would even be approved. Based strictly on radiologic findings it likely would, and it will need to be replaced at some point. It must mean that my left knee is sufficiently healed and occasionally pain-free that I would even consider going through this again in the next few months.

Going to see my OS on Wednesday, but have some job opportunities to look at, and would need to decide if I want to make myself unable to work for 6 weeks or so during my severance period. So much to think about ...

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, a lot to consider. The OS appointment may help make a decision.

Kathi,
I see my OS today and will have similar discussion about #2 in early January. It's not an easy decision, but I agree that we MUST be feeling better to even be able to consider it! I want to get over all of this and be able to travel painfree by fall 2016! Blessings on your mountain of decisions ahead.
Helen

Good luck with your decision. Lots to think about. Glad you were able to get away this past weekend, which was lovely to say the least.

You'd think having been home for 4 weeks that I'd be posting away on here, but guess I've been keeping busy. On the job front, was contacted by a former coworker who now works for one of the companies that sells the products on which I used to train. Had one of the attorneys my daughter works for look at my severance agreement to make sure there wouldn't be a problem with the non-compete clause, as well as talked with an HR rep at my former company. The first interview went well, have a second interview later today where I have to give a presentation (camera on laptop) on any topic I want, just so he can see my presentation skills. I think I'm ready for it ... Now that my knee is feeling so much better, I'm getting antsy to travel again. Didn't think I'd miss it, but I do.

Just dropped my aunt and cousin off at the airport, they visited for a week and stayed with us. While I love them and it's great to see them, it's also really, really nice to have our house quiet again.

Had a dental cleaning this week and I remembered that my OS gave me an antibiotic script to take an hour before dental work, so I took them yesterday an hour before going to my appt. Got there and discovered I had the wrong day, was scheduled for today. So, had to check with my OS and he said that he wanted me to refill the script for antibiotics and take them again today before the appt. I'm kind of worried about taking that much medication two days in a row, but I ended up rescheduling the appt. anyway as it was just too tight with the interview I have later. The hygienist that I see is simply super, never nicks, catches, digs, or causes any pain whatsoever during his cleaning, and he's so easy on the eyes, but he's very busy and it's also hunting season, so he's hard to get in to see. Had to reschedule for December 14.

Have a cold right now, so am going to lie down for a bit before the interview. I haven't been to exercise this week at all, hope I'm feeling well enough tomorrow morning to go to a water interval class.

Oh, and my knee - it's doing so much better. I find that if I sit too long in a chair without moving it gets sore, but walking around on it, shopping, etc., is so much better. I think I'm right on the verge of saying I'm glad I did it :yay:

wishing you well on the interview

FWIW, the American Dental Association has come out against pre-medicating with antibiotics before routine dental work.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88