TKR Kate's Knee Knews

Celle

MODERATOR EMERITIUS
BoneSmart Staff
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It's true that routine antibiotics are no longer considered necessary for dental work.
Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures
However, if your surgeon says you should take them, I guess you need to follow his recommendations.
My OS says the same. My dentist is adamant that no antibiotics are needed. So, I don't take antibiotics for routine work.
But, for root canals and more intrusive work I do take them. I don't want to give my OS the need to say "Told you so!"

I hope your job interview goes really well.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
SDkate

SDkate

Country
United States United States
Thanks for all the support! I think the presentation/interview went well. Now that it's over, and my company is gone, I'm looking forward to enjoying a relaxing weekend, try to get over this cold, and see what new adventure next week brings.

Slainte

post-grad
Country
Enjoy your weekend! Great news about how well your knee is doing. Good luck on the job front.

Thesoutherncook

post-grad
Country
Hi Kathi, my mirror twin, So good to hear your news! Interesting about the dental cleaning and antibiotic.... My OS said follow AHA guidelines. But, he supported antibiotics only for oral surgery or invasive procedures. I have dental appt in 2 wks. Keep us posted on the job front. Sounds like you will have options! Good for you!
All the best! Helen

sdgrandma

Country
@SDkate -- What encouraging news about your job interview. Fingers crossed that you get an offer! I've been out of the loop, too. My dad died suddenly while we were on our California trip, so that was cut short and I had to fly home while my husband drove 12 hour days to get back. We had the memorial service and then my mom still wanted to go to the family wedding in North Carolina so we went back to Sioux Falls, re packed, and flew out for that. I have spent the last month with my mom trying to get affairs in order. Heading back to Sioux Falls by the end of the week. I have totally ignored my knee in all the chaos--and it is doing quite well anyway! Up and down steps without grabbing the handrail even. I do need to get into a regular walking and exercise routine to build stamina, though. Josephine is right! We don't need heavy PT--the knee will improve on its own as the healing takes place. My only complaint is the swelling. My right knee is still huge compared to the left and doesn't seem to improve with rest or elevation. The outside is hard, not squishy like it is full of fluid, though.

SarahJane

supremo
Country
@sdgrandma, I am so very sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences on the death of your beloved father, and tell your mother that I'm sorry she lost her husband unexpectedly. Loosing someone is never easy, but a sudden death can be very hard.

I've also posted my condolences on your own thread; I have a couple of questions about your swelling there, too. (I'd initially posted them here, but moved them to your thread so this thread can stay focused on Kathi and her recovery.)

OP
OP
SDkate

SDkate

Country
Haven't been here in awhile, thought I'd stop by and see what's new, give an update on my progress.

My left knee had been doing really well since I started my job on 11/30. The first few weeks were rough since the job requires a lot of walking and a lot of standing - knees and feet were pretty sore, got some different shoes (love Alegria) and that took care of the pain. My knee still has a baseline level of swelling, but until recently, no pain with walking. For the last week or so, it's been more swollen and today is painful when walking on it. Going to start taking naproxen again to see if that helps. Getting in to see my surgeon isn't an option for awhile as I travel every week to Houston and won't be home on a weekday for a couple of weeks. If it's still painful at that point, will try to get in for a visit.

Doing well with the job, getting into the home stretch in Houston, don't know what my next assignments will be yet. Interestingly, the company I went to work for in November (PTP) was recently acquired by my previous employer (Nuance Comm.), so I'm officially again working for the company that laid me off in October. I'm just doing the best job I can and staying under the radar as much as possible. Life has a sense of humor ...

Pumpkin

Staff member since August 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Sorry to hear your knee has flared up. Suggest you go back to Rest, Ice, Elevate and Medicate on schedule as prescribed.
Guess what goes around comes around with you ending up with the same company. Yes life has a sense of humor.
I am going to tag @Josephine to ask some questions to get to the bottom of your pain.

OP
OP
SDkate

SDkate

Country
Coming close to a year from left TKR and am doing pretty well. My knee seems to cooperate well most of the time, can walk 2-3 miles without problem. Took a fall last week, was working in Anchorage, husband came along and we were doing some sightseeing on our last day there. Walking down a small dirt incline, slipped on some loose gravel and down I went, on my left hip and hand, had a FOOSH (fall on out stretched hand). Broke my wrist, had to drive an hour to a hospital. Flew home on pain meds and had to have surgery last Monday. So, recovery once again, typing with one hand :thud:

It took longer than I thought it would to say I'm happy I had the TKR, but I am. Does it feel normal? Pretty much. Do I have pain? Once in awhile. Would I do it again? Will probably have to at some point on my right knee, but thanks to all the support I've gotten here, I'll know what to expect and how to get through it.

newlybionic

Staff member since July 2016
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I'm sorry to hear about your fall and your wrist. It is nice though to hear that your knee is doing well. I hope your wrist feels better very quickly.

Braunzie

graduate
Country
@SDkate - Kathi - so sorry to hear about your fall! Hope your recovery is relatively easy.. It hurts just thinking of it!!! Glad to hear your knee is doing well! It's been a bit of a road, hasn't it? I'm with you - looking to have my other knee done at some point.. Hoping it's a while away.. Take care and heal quickly! :yes:

OP
OP
SDkate

SDkate

Country
@Braunzie My wrist is healing very well at this point. Saw my surgeon (hand surgeon in same group as the dr. that did my knee), and he said my wrist is doing really well, "better than most people". Still have to wear the splint for at least another 3 weeks, but it's getting easier.

Where are you visiting in South Dakota? My guess would be the Black Hills area, since most people don't visit Sioux Falls, on the east side of the state, unless they know someone here. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your visit to my lovely home state.

Celle

MODERATOR EMERITIUS
BoneSmart Staff
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It's good to hear that you are doing so well, Kathi.

sdgrandma

Country
Hi @SDkate--I haven't been on BoneSmart for months and finally decided to see if there were any updates from the people I followed after I had my surgery. How ironic that your new job is now with your former employer! So sorry to hear about your fractured wrist, but happy it is healing well. I had a fractured wrist in 2010 and I would guess we had the same surgeon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
43fullknee
Recent bookmarks