TKR kate97497's pre-op thread

kate97497

Country
United States United States
TKR scheduled for October 21. Very nervous. I haven't spent a night in the hospital since I had my daughter 37 years ago. My life has been medically boring and I think that may be a disadvantage because I have never had to overcome anything medically. I am starting with a personal trainer this week to make sure my legs are as strong as possible before surgery.

Hello @kate97497 - and :welome:

Thank you for your surgery date. I've done your signature for you and added your name to the October Feisties surgery team list.

I've also copied your post, to start this pre-op thread so we can advise you.

First of all, it's normal to be nervous before surgery. We've all felt like that, so we understand.

Doing PT before surgery is good, as long as it doesn't increase your pain. Don't forget to do upper body exercises as well. At first, you'll be glad of strong arms and shoulders.

Here's a bit of reading for you, to start you on preparing for surgery:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

@kate97497 I understand your concern. Hopefully you will be released the next day if that is your wish. I haven’t been in a hospital overnight since 1976. If things go well, I won’t be spending the night for this TKR either. My surgeon agreed to outpatient surgery because of all of my crazy allergies. It is really important that I be able to control my environment as much as possible. Plus, our local hospital is not good.

@kate97497 I go in on October 11th and I'm nervous at 71 I have not been in patient since the 1990s and I live alone but I will be staying a day or 2 in hospital with at home PT after for 2 to 3 wks. I need both knees done but Dr. will only do one at time. I swim doing backstroke 7days a wk for an hour or walk in pool as walking is too painful - I waited too long to get the surgery in my opinion.

Welcome @kate97497! I was pretty nervous (but excited to get it done) before my first tkr but less nervous with the second. Everything operated like such a well oiled machine on the day that it really helped with the nerves.

@kate97497 looks like we are the only 2 so far in October. I go to the vascular surgeon this week to have my non surgical leg looked at due to extreme swelling and foot going numb which ortho referred me to. I just wish surgery was over and done already the waiting is killing me but bonesmart is the best for information.

I hope your visit with vascular surgeon went well. I wish this was over with too although I didn't want to be laid up during the summer. I can't do much but I did go to the pool with grandkids today.

@kate97497 I find the pool is great for the knees. I see the vascular surgeon tomorrow. Got my annual skin exam done today since there was a cancellation as I had to change doctors since mine moved and I had not been there since before Covid. All good there some little things burned off with f/u in 4 wks.
At least the heat has broken for now and very nice in NE PA

@kate97497 the appt. with vascular surgeon was ok will go for vein test which is 1 and a half hours long mostly standing which should be interesting! Took and almost 2 hour nap today as I just seem to be very tired but did do the hour in pool this am. How is it going with the personal trainer?

Well I just received some disturbing news. My hospital system is negotiating with United Health Care. They might not come to resolution. If that happens contract ends October 1. My surgery is October 21. Trying not to stress but obviously can't have this surgery out of network.

Oh no @kate97497 sorry to hear you have this worry now, I will keep fingers crossed and prayers said that it doesn't happen, I'm worried that the Covid #s will cause my 10/11 surgery to be delayed or cancelled.

All is good now. Insurance issue solved, all clearances received. All I need now is a negative covid test on Monday. I've had my booster and am pretty careful but upping my game over the weekend. Masked up everywhere. Not going out to dinner. I've been really anxious but nowI just want to get it done.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts