TKR Kate97497’s post op

Thanks @Catalien45 . I can't handle opioids at all and Tramadol was definitely a problem even with food and anti-nausea meds plus it seems to give me migraines. I was considering using it for sleep because it does make me sleepy. My pain is under control with Tylenol and Motrin thank goodness. I'm happy that you have found away to make it work for you. Your meal idea sounds delicious. I am staying at my son's for a couple weeks. We had crockpot beef stew tonight and I sat at the kitchen table and made an apple crisp for dessert. It was so nice to be able to make some kind of contribution after they have been taking such good care of me.

I usually cook my chickens on our Traeger (smoker) but lately we've been getting them from Costco, already cooked. Add a salad or scalloped potatoes (also Costco) makes for a quick meal. We've taken advantage of a lot of Costco's prepped meals. I just realized not everyone lives near a Costco.

8 days out. Pain level is very low but nowI have developed an itchy rash and we can't figure out why. On my neck, back very itchy. Rash on surgery leg but not itchy at all. Nothing is new other than the fact that I showered yesterday. Only taking Tylenol and Motrin and BP meds. Added Benadryl to the line up but I can't figure the cause. Maybe idiopathic?Or perhaps my body is demonstrating little outrage at the trauma it has been put through. I can finally move my leg around enough to sleep on my side and then the itching keeps me up! Surgeon's office said to call primary if it gets worse.

Glad your doing better. I hope the rash goes away. Im a life long sufferer of hives. Rash's suck.

Booger

Day 10 post-op. I'm beginning to wonder there is something wrong with me because I really am not in any pain. Stiffness and swelling yes, not pain. I haven't taken Tramadol since day 3, just Motrin and Tylenol but no longer around the clock. I have a hard time getting comfortable at night and sleeping but I had sleep issues before this started. Sleeping is a little better now that I can turn on my side. My biggest problem now is a hive like rash that started on my neck and back and moved to my surgery leg, but not the good one. Benadryl helps. I have no idea what caused this but started the day I had my first shower, one week after surgery. I feel like my body is staging a protest over all the trauma. Is that possible? I guess I'd rather it protest by giving me a rash rather than pain.

Well, that’s annoying!, especially with it covering a good bit of your body. I agree with Jaycee and think the PCP should be advised.

I’m sorry you are dealing with that!

Day 11, things are getting better. Stop using walker, only cane. Not taking Motrin or Tylenol round the clock. Some zingers, those are surprising and annoying. I did the stairs with PT today and I am no longer scared of them. Best of all I am going home Saturday. I’ve enjoyed being at my son’s home but I miss my own. And my cats. I feel ready.

Good for you, @kate97497 ! Graduating to the cane really gave me a feeling of progress. But do remember to take it slowly! You are early days.

I know @benne68 . I need those reminders. Progress has seemed so rapid yet I know I have a long ways to go. It just feels so good to not need that walker. I have been working since Monday too which really helps my mental state. I work from home anyhow and there is no problem fitting in PT or a short nap even. I will not put on video on Zoom calls though, just audio. Not ready for the public yet!

I find it amazing that you are on so few pain killers this early!!! It takes all kinds and everyone is different but that is definitely not what the average person is going through this early on. The rash sounds like an allergic reaction to something, did you use a new soap in your shower? New laundry detergent or fabric softener on the towels? I hope you get some answers.....:chinstroke:

@Susie-Q I know I feel so grateful. Tramadol made me so sick and honestly I have not been in a lot of pain throughout this process and I have no idea why. I did use new body wash at my son's house so maybe that was the culprit. Much better now.

I'm home. The move from my son's was a bit exhausting although I did none of the work. Just relaxing in the recliner, might take a snooze. Friends are bringing dinner the next few days. I should take a short walk but it might just have to wait till tomorrow. I have been up and down my stairs once, slow but steady. I'll wait ill bedtime to go back up. Cats are happy to see me!

I bet you're glad you are home. Take it easy and let your friend help in any way when they come to bring you dinner. Snuggle with those kitties! :kitty:

Hi, Kate, glad to hear you are home! It sounds like you have a very supportive family. Our sweet next door neighbor brought us some of her homemade “ chickeless”chicken noodle soup a couple of nights ago. It tasted better than Anything I’ve eaten since I got home! Hope you saved that walk for a day......just be sure & listen to your body, & if it’s tired, rest. It can be hard to do, but definitely pays off. And enjoy snuggles with those kitties... my “nurse” Felicity Kitty is due down here with me for her night shift any moment now“.
Susie Q, I love your purring kitty emoji!

PS..... I have also stopped the Tramadol. The nausea got so bad ( just non-stop)! I had no appetite. Just Tylenol, & I think it’s gonna do the job. Last night was rough, but today has gone well. planning on a good nights sleep tonite,

@Catalien45 I hope you can stay off of the Tramado. Great drug for weight loss but that non stop nausea is miserable. I alternated Tylenol and Motrin. I stopped us around the clock but after my move yesterday and all of that activity I did increase a little. I keep telling myself that I only need to rest today. I have a hard time be comfortable if there is any clutter in my home. Trying to let it go for now. And stop worrying about how I am going to manage laundry. Machine in the basement

Susie Q, I love your purring kitty emoji!

Everyone has access to those cute emojis. As you're typing a reply, click on the smilie face in the header of this text box. You'll see all kinds of cute emojis you can use!

Hi , Kate. We just finished bagels & cream cheese, compliments of our same sweet neighbor! Actually tasted Good to me - and yes, you nailed it! Tramadol evidently dealt with the pain, but the nausea was so bad, I lost 7 pounds! Miserably. The Tylenol seems to be working well, hopefully I can cut it back at some point, but I keep it at 3,000 max. Food still often tastes strange, I’m looking forward to really having an appetite & enjoying food again.
Last night I slept well! The night before ( I had just totally quit the tramadol, gradually going from 4 times a day, then 3, then 2, 1, off.) My pain has been very tolerable. Then,the last night, it was as if my knee was rebelling: pain, cramps, zingers, insomnia. It was my worst night, but interestingly enough, yesterday was Fine! A little tired, but overall, OK. And last night I slept Well. It was wonderful.
I had been taking it for 2 1/2 -3 weeks total, so maybe a withdrawal? I rarely take much medication, just Tylenol, an Occasional ibuprofen ( but they do scare me, after my ulcer scare); I was also taking 1 Meloxicam daily, but finished that. So maybe just a combination of things. I plan to get up more today, work on exercises from my therapist. And try not to overdo!
My stubbornness seems to butt heads with that! ☺️ I’m often reminded of one of my Grandmother’s sayings: “ I’m not stubborn....I’m just Determined!” She was a strong woman, and suffered a number of tragedies and hardships from her early days. But she went on to marry & raise my wonderful Papa & 2 other children, & left us all with a lot of warm & funny memories. And, she’d probably tell me now, “ Charlie, your determination is good. But listen to the sage advice on this forum... listen to the ones who have walked this journey, and are ahead of you in it. “
I relate to your feelings about clutter.... although, our home Definitely tends to have that “ lived in” quality. My brother’s wife, one of the wisest people I’ve ever known, helped me to put this into perspective some years ago. We were planning a family reunion, much of it in our home, & I was fretting over the often mess I have, particularly when I’m gardening & canning. She said, very simply & clearly: “ Charlie, we’re not coming to see your House..... we’re coming to see You!” And I try to remember that.
My laundry also in the basement. Fortunately, the stairs are split, & stairs have not posed a problem, I’m very Careful, & slow; but my knee has been really bad for a long time, so I’ve been doing that for some time now. I also have a stool that I sit on while I do the laundry....Huge help! We found one on Amazon, sturdy, with a padded seat, a bit pricey ( around $50 I believe), but well worth it. It looks nice enough to be upstairs, too. Is there anyone who might help you with the laundry? It can be a big job, even for 1 or 2 people.

Well, I should get up & walk some... hoping to do more now that I am feeling
better. Enjoy being in your home ( even your own clutter, that’s OK), and, rest when you need to. Don’t go too hard- it generally hits you After the fact. And, my Felicity Kitty says.... enjoy those kitties!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom