TKR Kate97497’s post op

kate97497

Country
United States United States
Day 3, the worst. I had little pain in hospital, moving really well. Until the tramadol hit. It makes me so sick to my stomach even when eating crackers ahead of time and taking zofran. I know it is used to treat migraines but it gives me migraines. Pt is supposed to come to the house this morning but I’m going to cancel. I’m just too miserable. Besides he scared me when he said we weren’t going to do anything too crazy yet. I don’t plan on doing anything too crazy ever.

@kate97497 Welcome to the other side. So sorry you are having a rough start. Those meds can really be hard for some of us (me included). Keep taking the zofran if you can. Getting control of this will make all the difference in the world.
I don’t plan on doing anything too crazy ever.
Good for you! No need to push anything. You might want to wait to start PT until you are feeling a bit better. Despite what others may say there is no window of opportunity.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Day 3, the worst. I had little pain in hospital, moving really well. Until the tramadol hit. It makes me so sick to my stomach

Hi @kate97497 I had a similar experience with pain: very little iimmediately post-op -- probably some carryover from the nerve block -- and then it hit me on day 3. Ugh!

I also suffered with nausea and had no appetite for about a week. I was also taking tramadol for the first week. My stomach improved as soon as I got off it. You might want to touch base with your surgeon if it continues.

What did you use for pain after tramadol?

Day 3, the worst. I had little pain in hospital, moving really well. Until the tramadol hit. It makes me so sick to my stomach even when eating crackers ahead of time and taking zofran. I know it is used to treat migraines but it gives me migraines. Pt is supposed to come to the house this morning but I’m going to cancel. I’m just too miserable. Besides he scared me when he said we weren’t going to do anything too crazy yet. I don’t plan on doing anything too crazy ever.

I’m so sorry you are having a rough time! Looking back, that 3rd day was about when the pain kicked in big time for me,too. I tried the opioid for a couple of days, the 2nd night noticed stomach pain after getting up for bathroom trip - remembered same exact pain from Vicodin years ago after hysterectomy/ cyst removal. Thought to myself, time to stop this...and on the way back to couch, passed out cold! My husband & daughter got me eased to floor. We switched to 4 Tramatol & 3 doses of 1,000 Tylenol a day. Not pain free, but I don’t expect that; it’s tolerable. Also 1 meloxicam daily for inflammation. I take a fairly substantial snack with Any medicine. Daytime , several small cookies, or possibly very soon after a meal. My one middle of the night, a “ snack pack” pudding & a cookie & always Plenty of water. ( kitty Felicity Loves the pudding, & is there waiting to lick the container clean). Btw, it did take a bit to determine this exact combination for me.

I’m not really familiar with any of these medicines, but it sure seems different for everyone. I guess it takes a bit to determine what works for a given individual, & fortunately, there are several options, I hope you find your solution soon. We set our phone timers to be sure I get my doses consistently on time, that seems really important. I agree with Benne68 - check with your Surgeon or his PA. My Surgeon’s PA is really great, and knowledgeable. She gave me the # to reach her ( I had several questions pre- surgery);
Anytime I have called, she got back to me pretty quickly, other than days they were in surgery, then, I’d hear from her the next day. She could generally answer my questions, if not, she’d check with the Doctor.

I am about halfway into week 3.... I do feel it is getting better. Slow but steady, as folks on this forum stress. That seems to be the key. And this pain is different, definitely not the constant bone-on-bone pain, and, unlike that, this Will get better & better, I’m convinced of that.
Take care, I’ll be thinking of you, & hope to see some good news from you. This forum is great, & always something to learn...

What did you use for pain after tramadol?
Tylenol can be very good for post op pain, if your body tolerates it.

The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets every 6 hours, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.

Boy, can I relate to how you feel. So sorry you are feeling so sick from the meds on top of the pain. It's the worst. I had a terrible time with nausea and vomiting from the meds - and Zofran didn't help me either. I was so sick, home PT would come and just leave without doing anything with me because I wasn't capable. I should have canceled them like you did. Good for you. I did, however, push my surgeon, pcp and PT to change up my meds to figure out what I was getting sick from. There are several options to try for pain relief - don't think you are stuck with just Tramadol when it makes you sick. The pain is hard enough to deal with without having to be sick on top of it. Keep asking for help and telling the caregivers what you need and how you feel.

I'm so sorry you are feeling sick on top of the recovery pain.

I was able to take oxycodone and not have any issues. I know not everyone can. Everything @Catalien45 said is good advice, setting phone timers, eating food with every medication dose, etc. I had my snack pack of pudding that came back to the bedroom with me every night, often two along with applesauce squeezes or prunes. Smooth Move tea is great for constipation if you are taking opioids. I hope you are able to get the help you need and get on a good pain med schedule that works for you.

I love Smooth Move I was pooping on Day 3 with no issues. I plan on going off all pain meds other than Ibuprofen and Tylenol. I took Tramadol at 5:30 this morning with crackers and Zofran, got migraine and puked at 7:30. I'm done. I had PT today, a little stiff but no real pain. I'm pretty sure I can do it. I just don't do well with opioids or pretend opioids. As long as my pain levels continue to be low, I think I can do it.

Exactly...nothing too crazy ever!

Had surgery Thursday so this is day 5? Not really in pain, PT is going well. I'm so glad I worked with a trainer since July. But, there is no comfortable position to sleep. I wander all freaking night. 20-30 minutes tops anywhere. Doesn't seem fair to not be in pain yet still not comfortable does it? Has anyone found a solution? If not, how long does this last?

@kate97497, I'm in week3 from 1st stage revision and really having issues sleeping. Yesterday I did a few exercises and paid for it big time. Pain, nausea and sleeplessness were right on top of me. After stopping narcotics for about a week I broke down and took a tramedol and anti nausea meds. It worked well but I did have a very sore knee today. With my replacements sleep returned at 4-6 wks. Try your normal position as long as you can or modify with a pillow until comfortable. For me it's 6-8 wks on my back! Naps are your friends.

@Starsfan22 The tramadol is definitely tempting me. But the headache and nausea are so bad. I guess we’ll see which I decide is worse

@kate97497 Sleep until week 4 or 5 was elusive. In fact, just knowing it was bedtime was enough to set me on edge. I couldn't get into bed because I'm a side sleeper and I was using a big wedge pillow which was torture for me. I tried sleeping on the recliner with three pillows on the foot to elevate my knee, but between not being able to be on my side and the dry heaving from my nausea, I spent sleepless night, nodding off for ten minutes at a time. The worst part of my recovery for sure.

But it stops!! Look forward to it, it will come, it just doesn't feel like it now, but I guarantee it. I started sleeping pretty soundly after about week 5-6. I had stopped my pain pills and was taking ibuprofen and Tylenol, and before I turned out the lights, I took a mild tranquilizer and slept like a baby. I continued that for about 3 weeks and stopped taking them and my sleep is pretty darn good now, and I'm 16 weeks tomorrow!

I so understand, that 1st shower was like a gift for me. I actually cut my hair (big chop) before surgery because I didn't want to be bothered. Certainly not a choice for everyone, heehee.

I thought about getting my haircut, but I think a pony tail is easier than short hair.
I'm going for #2 in a couple weeks, but I do remember that first shower!!
Take care!

The one thing I found out with that first shower, or rather leading up to that first shower was how clean my hair stayed for that 5 days I had to wait. I couldn't put any hair products in my hair after the shower on the day of surgery. I usually use mousse to help my hair curl (mine is fairly short) and it will end up feeling dirty after a couple of days. It's led me to leave out hair products a little more now that I used to to keep that clean-hair feeling.

@Susie-Q The pandemic cured me of a lot of product. If you don’t see anyone anyhow why bother? When I did start going out, I wore a mask and hoped they wouldn’t recognize me.
@hawk2go I got a cut and color the week before surgery and I told her to take a lot off but my hair grows so quickly it is already a mess.
@MARYCOOL I’ve been wondering if I’d ever do this again. Right now my other knee is fine but am not sure I could be a repeat customer and compared to many here I’ve had it fairly easy so far.

@Starsfan22 The tramadol is definitely tempting me. But the headache and nausea are so bad. I guess we’ll see which I decide is worse

Hi, Kate. I was just checking new posts & saw this one of yours. I have been on Tramadol/ Tylenol for about 2 weeks now. Recently I started noticing a “dull” nausea, & not really wanting to eat much. Wondering if it could be the Tramadol, as I’d seen your posts & others who had similar, but much worse, problems with it than mine. The opioids don’t agree with me, so not an option, so I did some googling on Tramadol. One thing I found that seems to be helping is this: eat several small meals during the day, not the traditional 3 big meals. Perhaps this keeps the tummy never really empty? I’ve been doing this, & it does seem to help. One of my doses is 2 AM . I take a full snack pack pudding, and plenty of water.... I figure I’m pretty empty by then. The pill After the pudding. Also, it stressed “ light meals”, I believe, so avoiding heavy, rich food. Btw, my husband is on his way to our local King Sooper for ice ( for the hungry ice machine). He’s getting one of the roasted chickens. I figure that will be good for quick, easy light meals & snacks, maybe even a little rice & veggie on the side... plenty for the both of us, &easy. Don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this earlier.....
Hope this helps some, & I hope you find relief soon. I’ve had my share of surgeries over my 76 years, but this one is a unique experience, for sure. This forum has been, and is, a tremendous help. And, it Does get better - my surgery was Oct 6, & it IS improving. I try to remind myself regularly of Hawk2Go’s advice to me... slow and steady, slow and steady. And let yourself Rest.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back