THR Karwask's Pre Op Story

karwask

Country
United States United States
Hi All,

I'm scheduled to have my LTHR done on May 25th! Strangely, once I got over the reality that I really need to do this and started to do research and planning, I'm now really looking forward to the whole thing! I'm thrilled that my sister will be coming to stay with me for two weeks, so quality sister time too! I will likely need to have the RTHR done as well. So far the plan is to schedule it for approximately 10 weeks after and/but I hope to get more insight about this from this group to be sure that's a good way to go. Thanks so much.

@karwask
Sounds like you are well prepared for your upcoming surgery in May.
10 weeks sounds like plenty of time between surgeries, you can always make adjustments as you see how you are doing with our left hip.

You will notice I have moved your post from the May Marvels, you have been added to the May Marvels, and your surgery date is now in your signature.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

At my 6 week follow up exam my OS wanted to know if I wanted to have the other hip done at 12 weeks. I didn't think the first was much fun so I thought I'd wait a little longer. I think the easiest way would be to just go in and have both and it's all over in one shot.

Thanks Eman85,

Initially, I had in mind wanting to get both done at the same time. As much as my surgeon does this, when he talked about the nature of the surgery as trauma to the body and doing two at once, just increases the trauma, I reconsidered as much as the idea of being done with is was very appealing. So far, I'm happy with my choice. I feel relieved at the prospect of having a more manageable recovery and am optimistic that if I do it right, my recovery will be not so bad. Let's see where the other hip ends up and if I can go longer and wait for the next surgery. All remains to be seen, I suppose:).

I'm like you: I researched the heck out of the surgery and so when time came I was looking forward to it. I think I channeled my anxiety and fear through the focus on getting a new more mobile and more stable hip with a lot less pain that would allow me to move freely without pain.

And I got that! Yes, I got nervous in the final days before the surgery. But generally I was looking forward to it. There was not a cell of reluctance in going for the surgery.

Great to have sister coming to stay with you. My sister also came, though she stayed in a hotel (great for preventing war). True story: my sister is a retired RN, and she needed the surgery worse than I did. She eventually got it too--partly inspired by my decision.

Hi @karwask
My surgeon thought I would be a good candidate for bilateral so I can only speak from my own experience....but really happy it was all fixed up with one recovery.
Definitely something each person must decide with their surgeon.
Sounds like you are ready to do this and hopefully you will be able to space out your hip recoveries if that's what you decided.
Getting back to a healthy hip painfree life is amazing.:egypdance:

We will be rooting for you.

Yes Mojo333,

I spent a lot of time looking over your postings as I was so interested in the bilateral option. And, glad that it worked out as well as it did for you and others. Also glad that I made this choice in the end. More likely to be an easier to manage recovery. Stay tuned, of course:).

Best Wishes for your surgery tomorrow. I hope you enjoy sister time once you’re resting comfortably at home. Will look forward to updates on the healing side. :)
@karwask

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member