TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

Hi Karen! I am so happy for you and your new knee and new life! I am in the hospital with my first conformis itotal right knee, so I really enjoyed reading your journey. Nice coincedence that you wrote an update yesterday! I can't believe how good I feel, no pain, sleeping well, walking with a cane, too! I am actually looking forward to getting my left done at the end of the month, even more so now that I have experienced this one.
All the best to you as you continue to heal and move around

Just wanted to post a quick update.
Last week I went on a trip which involved traveling 10 hours by plane, bus and car (twice).
I had no problems at all with the new knee. Yeah me! :spin:
I'm a little over 16 weeks post-op now.
One thing I forgot to ask my OS, do the components in our new knees set off the TSA scanners at airports?

@SDkate ,
Just tell them you have a knee replacement and they send you through the body scanner.

@Gojennygo ,
Congratulations on your new knee! I hope you continue to have a great recovery. Just remember to take it easy and let the healing happen.
Have you started a recovery thread? I would love to follow your progress.
Best of luck with #2.
karen

Hi @metalheart !
I just got caught up on your thread and you are doing amazingly well!
I see you are getting your second knee done today. I hope all goes well and you have an uneventful recovery.
Be Well,
Karen

HI Karen, I'm glad you are posting about this phase of your recovery because it is useful to understand the recovery process long-term. We all have our issues in those initial days, weeks, and months, but as you know it is a long term recovery back to where we want to be. Keep up the good work and let us know how things are going.

Thanks, @metalheart !
You are right. It's a long journey, but so worth it in the end.
I just made an appointment with my OS to get #2 scheduled.
I hope you are doing well and having a good recovery with #2!

Hi Kaw205,

I have not done a recovery thread, I don't know how!! I may ask my sister for help, she is visiting me!

Post-OP: 8 MONTHS, SEPTEMBER 8, 2015
Hi all!
Well, another month gone and I am continuing to improve. The early morning stiffness is gone and the only pain I have is when I first stand or do stairs and it is brief. No pain meds except for the occasional Tylenol.
I just noticed today that the ROM in my new knee is equal to the other knee. It has always lagged behind by 5-10 degrees, so for those of you who may be concerned with your ROM, it does continue to improve over the months all on it's own.
I have an appointment with my OS on the 23rd of this month to discuss scheduling the other knee.
Now that the new knee is feeling strong and stable, I am anxious to do the other one and get rid of this pain for good!
My second knee has valgus deformity, so it will be interesting to see how that recovery goes.
Best Wishes to all my BS pals!
Karen

Karen, this is most excellent news!!! I'm glad you feel so much improvement that you can schedule the other knee. Your posts inspire me to keep plugging away!!!

Brenda

@Blendab1 ,
Thanks Brenda! I had a good recovery and you'll get there too. I couldn't imagine packing and moving while recovering from a TKR. I did it before my TKR and it pretty near killed me!!!
Take care,
Karen
ps: I'm still not ready to proclaim myself cured, lol!!!
Maybe next month.........

Hi Karen, thanks for the excellent recovery update. I'm glad you're happy with your new knee. Like you, my right knee developed a valgus deformity. I was hoping to hold off on replacing it until sometime next year, but the knee had other ideas. Now I am just waiting for a date. You are wise to get it done now. Just imagine- soon you'll have TWO strong, straight legs!!!

@Clipless
Hi Diana,
Thanks for following my thread and good luck with your upcoming surgery. I'll be watching your threat and cheering you on!
Karen

Post-Op 9 months: October 6, 2015
Not much change this month. The new knee is strong and stable. Only minor pain when first standing. I sure wish that would go away!
I saw my OS a few weeks ago and scheduled my right TKR for Jan. 19, 2016.
My pre surgery plan is to drop some weight and keep biking to strengthen the quads.
Not nearly so nervous to go through this again. The end result is so worth it!

Post-op 11 months December 22, 2015
Hi all and Merry Christmas!
Well, I think I can safetly say that I'm about 95% recovered.
The last 5% is just occasional aches and stiffness.
It really is true that it takes a year to recover from this surgery.
I'll be doing #2 in about 3 weeks. I'm not nearly as nervous as last time. i still have all my equipment ready to go and just need to prepare and freeze some food.
My sisters will be coming again to help out the first week which will be great!!
I guess I'll start a new recovery thread when the time comes and I hope you'll all join me in my second journey.
Best Wishes,
Karen

Merry Christmas to you, too! That is a great report---and I understand the last 5%!!

Thank you very much for coming back---you have helped others who may be in those "Dark Days" of recovery---now they can realize how long it does take, but that it is very much worth it!

It's good to hear you've done so well.

Have a Happy Christmas. :reindeerlights::chris-win:

We'll be here for you in January.

It is always good to hear from someone who is doing well. I hope the second knee moves along as well.

Woohoo Karen!!! Happy New Year and I look forward to following your progress for the newest knee

Brenda

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks