THR KarenKats recovery thread

KarenKat

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everybody,
Thought I would set this up now before the big day tomorrow, whilst I still have my wits about me !

Thai takeaway tonight & finish packing for 3-5 day stay...up 5am for shower, water ++++ & pre-load drink.All patients report at 7.30am, so won’t get to know my slot until after admission.

My lovely sister ( only sibling) is flying in from Florida to look after me week 2 & 3 post op,by which time my husband will probably be ready for a break !

Best wishes & a big thank you to all x

Wishing you the best and drop us a quick update when you're feeling up to it after surgery. :flwrysmile:

Hi @KarenKat
Wishing you all the best along with comfort and peace of mind as you wait.
It sounds like you have everything under control. I will look forward to following your healing journey.
Following you'll find the Recovery Guidelines.
Big Hugs....you're going to do great! :happydance:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Will be welcoming you to the other side. All will go well. So nice your sis coming to help you . Must make you feel a little better. Rooting for you.

Best wishes, @KarenKat Maybe by the time your read all these "welcome to the other side" messages you WILL be on the other side and, we all hope, resting comfortably. I just got my left hip replaced (#2) on July 17 so I'm chugging along the recovery trail and doing well at 7 weeks out. You'll be hitting the trail shortly, and nice to have your sister there to superintend your arrival home and a week or so, I hope, of help and encouragement. Cheers!

Many thanks for all your best wishes ...showered & glugging as much water as I can ...pre-load drink shortly & then on our way - feel strangely calm, but can’t see it lasting ! x

I remember feeling that sense of calm as well @KarenKat! I was so ready to be taking action and getting that painful hip out of there! There is such a sense of relief, knowing that even though the recovery will not always be rosy, at least you are moving toward a healthier, more pain free life! Best of luck to you in the early days---not the most fun at first, but for me, when I made it through the first week, and moved into the 2nd week, I felt like I'd won the lottery! You are on your way!!!:loveshwr:

Sitting in my room waiting for the call - unfortunately won’t go for surgery until 2pm ish so can drink water again for another hour whilst I wait.I was in a bit of a panic when I initially arrived, but now a lot calmer after meeting surgical team & the lovely nurses. I will have to stay in bed until tomorrow morning when physio will get me up walking ( not used a bedpan before so that will be an adventure ! ) & possibly a shower ......I have an allergy to adhesive, so surgeon will use clips rather than skin adhesive for wound closure to be on safe side which I’m happier about - will have spinal anaesthetic with sedation - I asked for a happy pill prior to surgery which will be given nearer the time, but now I am fairly chilled so may decline !

A bit of a shock was that restrictions will apply for 3 months & will have to wear knee high teds for 12 weeks as well as anti-coagulant injections for 30 days ....I’m as fit as a flea apart from hip, so this must be across the board protocol - I’m not the most compliant of people, but definitely going to follow the rules-witnessed a lady dislocate her hip whilst on holiday a few years ago....I can still remember her blood curdling screams

Bit of a rambling post, I’m bored but appear to have the attention span of a gnat at the moment, can’t concentrate enough to read or watch TV ( husband left as has things to do ) so will spend my time catching up on all your threads ...Yay, the sun’s just come, it’s going to be a good day ! x

You are almost there! Glad you are chilling! All the best!

Oh, @KarenKat Hope by the time you are awake and reading posts again you'll be feeling good--no pain and just that profound sense of relief that sweeps over most of us when we realized, yes, surgery is DONE and we're on the recovery road. Hope you'll be up soon and walking, and that shortly after that you'll be able to head home. Bummer about the compression hose (I hated them after 2 weeks, but only had 4 weeks total, not 12--that would have been really, really hard) and shots for 30 days, but does sound like it must be an across the board protocol. It's always something, isn't it? Fingers and toes crossed for you, that you'll have this part over soon and life will be looking up.

Here's hoping you came through your surgery with flying colors. You've got a group of women here holding you close in their "arms" and prayers. Know that you are deeply cared for and your body knows how to heal, especially when you may be feeling a bit down. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Tuesday to you @KarenKat
With surgery behind you, you can now focus solely on recovery. Hopefully as you're reading this you're resting comfortably and your pain is well managed. Do remember ice as the great natural pain and swelling reliever it is. With any luck they're providing it for you :ice:
Update us when you're able, we will look forward to your first post.
Yay, you did it. A flower for you! :flwrysmile:

Many thanks for all your lovely well wishes

Went to theatre just after 3pm today and was in recovery at 4.20pm where I had to stay for a while due to low BP - back to room around 6pm, husband visited, ate sandwiches, & biscuits with 3 pots of tea! ...then discovered I’d done a huge wee in bed due to spinal anaesthetic ( apparently very common ) had to have my nighty & bedding changed....very undignified.

Feel great, nurse said on my return from theatre that I looked like I’d had nothing done - feels like it too - no pain/tiredness etc .....probably will come and bite me on the bum anytime soon.Have rung/messaged/ face timed family & friends in between constant visits from nurses checking on me - have drip up ( final bag of three going through now) and oxygen thingy in my nostrils.......it’s now almost 11pm so will have a read of my book which will hopefully tire me so am able to get a bit of sleep - night night xx

Woohoo! It's finally done, on to the healing part! Gentle hugs, sleep tight!
:sleeep:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member