KarenKat’s pre-op thread

KarenKat

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello all you kind, supportive & informative people !

I first visited my G.P. in April of this year on the insistence of family and friends as I had apparently been limping since December 2018 ( it took me these four months to realise they weren’t imagining it ! ) I have had a ‘dodgy’ hip for approx. four years which has lead to me gradually decreasing or discontinuing most activities I loved to do ..... dance classes,riding,boot camp, hill walking, gardening etc.... Long story short, am now scheduled for LTHR on 10th September courtesy of our wonderful NHS.

I was in complete shock when X-rays showed severe OA in my left hip ...Up to this point I naively believed painkillers and few weeks of targeted physiotherapy would sort me out! Have tried not to dwell too much on forthcoming op. but as surgery date looms I’m getting increasingly anxious (I’ve not had major surgery before ) and think I’m going to be asking lots of questions in the next few weeks

A big thank you to everyone one of you that has taken the time to answer queries & post step by step details of your journeys-I intend to post details of my post-op recovery to hopefully help others as much as your reassuring posts are helping me come to terms with the inevitable ......very best wishes to those awaiting surgery & healing hugs to those recovering on the other side x

Hello, @KarenKat !

So glad you posted and shared a bit of your story! I saw my X-ray for the first time in April, too and am just one week ahead of you, scheduled for September 3. This forum has been a consistent source of information and encouragement for me, and I feel confident it will be the same for you, too. It’s great to hear you plan to keep posting :)

@KarenKat welcome to Bone Smart! :wave:

You have definitely come to the right place, everyone is so supportive and there is pretty much someone here who has or is going through what you are. Don't feel funny about asking questions, you'll learn lots of great stuff here.

It's only natural to feel nervous about having surgery,especially if you've never had it before. Hopefully we can help ease your nerves and erase any fears you might have going into this. Try to keep your chin up and your sense of humor, know it can be hard, especially when you're in pain, but it helps get you through everything.

Hi Soon-to-Be New Hippy.:welome: to BoneSmart.
Happy to hear you will be getting rid of hip pain and back to your life.:tada:
I was in complete shock when X-rays showed severe OA in my left hip
I think I used the word Mortified :flabber:

...Up to this point I naively believed painkillers and few weeks of targeted physiotherapy would sort me out!
This was my course of action as my diagnosis was some time coming to light...if anything, it made things worse.
(I’ve not had major surgery before
Me either..so I certainly understand the trepidation.
I did my best to balance my nerves over surgery with excitement that this would lead to a cure for my bad hips.
Lots of good advice and support here:yes:

Hi KarenKat...
We are going to have surgeries in the same day... I assume you'll go first because of the different time zone.
Me too I am anxious but also looking forward to it as I want me old life back... or at least some of it.
:)

:hi: Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. I think you'll love it here.
Lots of kind peeps, tons of info, support and encouragement that's second to none.
If you have questions....fire away. We'll do our best to help in any way we're able.
You don't have long to go now until your surgery, wishing you comfort as you wait out these last few weeks.
Hugs :friends:
@KarenKat

I have had a ‘dodgy’ hip for approx. four years which has lead to me gradually decreasing or discontinuing most activities I loved to do
Well then it is obvious you are doing the right thing! We were all nervous pre-op. Even those of us who have been through more than one THR.

The good news is that when you take that first step all that OA pain will be gone! :happydance:

Questions? Ask away - we are here for you!

Thank you so much everyone for your warm welcomes .......I’m delighted to have found this site prior to surgery, and have found all the information,encouragement & positivity so comforting - my anxiety level has been taken down a notch or two !

I had my one & only appointment with OS in June, which, because I am a NHS patient was scheduled for 15 mins duration ( including physical exam & consent form completion),not a lot of time to ask questions ! I was able to choose my own surgeon & hospital ( Bone & Joint Centre at my local Spire private hospital ) & felt very comfortable with him - the next time I see him will be just before operation....I will not meet my anaesthetist to discuss options until this time either - I think this is pretty standard in the U.K. I’m the type of person that needs to know every last detail to help quell my anxiety, and thus find this site invaluable. I have pre-op appointment with a nurse 12 days prior to surgery, so will hopefully receive much more information then - I’m sure I’ll be requesting supplementary advice/reassurance etc in the meantime , so I thank you in advance

@Ptarmigan have just read your thread. I’m very sorry that you have had such a rough ride to get to this point, but so pleased that you are now in a good place.....I’ll be following your thread and sending very best wishes for 3rd September

@Mojo333 I think you’re right about the physio-I decided last week not to continue with exercises ( I can occasionally feel my hip catching & grinding which I’m sure is not helpful ) I still go to the gym 4-5 times a week for yoga, pilates & conditioning classes with weights for upper body strength .....If I feel discomfort I stop rather than push through like I used to - I feel these gentle classes are helping my general strength & flexibility, though unfortunately they also highlight how poor ROM is in my arthritic hip - I feel like someone has crept in in the middle of the night and welded my femur to my pelvis !

@RinTinTin lovely to hear from you .....was going to say hello when I saw we were both scheduled on the same day, but you beat me to it ! You appear to have lead a very active life up to this point too, so it’s miserable to have to continually decrease activity levels just to feel comfortable - we’ll have our lives back for sure in the not too distant future .....we can do this !

@Jaycey many thanks for your message - I’ve done the should I, shouldn’t I merry-go-round for a while now, as I don’t have pain at rest.Movement is the problem,I find walking particularly troublesome & I climb stairs like a little bear on all fours ( though not in public ! ) ...... you’re right, I need to do this - onward & upwards !

Last edited:
I can occasionally feel my hip catching & grinding which I’m sure is not helpful
I ignored this symptom and my left hip collapsed. You don't want to go there! Plenty of time for exercise after that hip is healed.

@RinTinTin lovely to hear from you .....was going to say hello when I saw we were both scheduled on the same day, but you beat me to it ! You appear to have lead a very active life up to this point too, so it’s miserable to have to continually decrease activity levels just to feel comfortable - we’ll have our lives back for sure in the not too distant future .....we can do this !

yes... so looking forward to have my life back.. and sleep! :)

Welcome to BS! You’d come to the right place. I’m 2+ yrs post op now and I can say the new hip is amazing! I can’t feel any difference in new hip and my other one which thankfully shows no signs of OA yet. The pain is totally gone and range of motion is back. Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions. This forum is also amazing. It sure was helpful to me both before and after my surgery. There was always someone who faced a similar situation to the one I asked about and they were very willing to share their findings and offer support. Sending good wishes your way....

@KarenKat Thank you for the kind thoughts! Now that I on my way to a better option, I don’t have any lingering upset over the “rough ride,” just happiness that it’s smoothed out :) and increased optimism about the results I might enjoy long-term.

I’d like to share one caution my physical therapist gave me about the lead up to surgery. He said, “You’re driving on a bald tire. Be careful. Be gentle. I would hate to see you have a blowout before you can get it fixed.” He’s had clients come in with secondary injuries from falls (broken collarbone for one), because they ignored the limitations of a compromised joint.

It’s cloudy and drizzling this morning, and hints of September approaching!

Hello @KarenKat
You’ve heard from others how THR can transform your life...
I’m 5 months post my 2nd THR & it’s been fabulous... My 1st one 6 years ago took longer to recover but I got there in the end.

BoneSmart has been my saviour in both recoveries.. for advice, info, reassurance & support.. and a few belly laughs along the way...

The op is really a non event... it’s over & done before you know it...
sometimes recovery can be hard when things crop up but you will know someone on here who has been there... had that particular problem & got over it!

Take care. ... xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello @KarenKat Isn't it a good feeling when you stumble upon this site and realize there is support out there?
I still remember my relief when I found Bonesmart over 4 years ago. The shock and disbelief when you are confronted with the dreaded diagnosis is pretty debilitating. Oh how I hated that news and then the time it took to wrap my brain around it.. so glad that's over with for you.. I think it's one of the hardest steps in this journey!

Welcome and can't wait to see what questions you come up with!:flwrysmile:

Hello everyone,
Thanks so much for all your helpful & inspirational messages......feel like a lovely warm snuggly comfort blanket has been wrapped around me !

@Jaycey horrified to hear of your awful experience; had thought I could do no more damage at this stage and that any extra exercise I could manage would help me bounce back more quickly post-op......how wrong could I be ??? @Ptarmigan your ‘bald tyre’ analogy drives home the same message - many thanks to you both for sharing & providing the reality check I so obviously needed !

Random thoughts & questions keep popping into my head ( I’m a bit of an over thinker ) so I’ll start asking a few as I go along.....

OS is using adhesive to close skin wound - I am allergic to adhesive on sticking plaster etc..around third/forth day following application intense itching followed by weepy blistered skin - anyone know if this may problematic or if there is a patch test that might be available pre op ?

I would like spinal anaesthesia with sedation ( I had a very minor exploratory procedure under GA 20 years ago which resulted in clinical depression-do so not want to go there again ! ) my sister had an epidural during childbirth 30 years ago & suffered with a swollen, weepy blistered back from adhesive patch used , she has the same allergy I’m presuming this would no longer be a problem with the advent of hypoallergenic dressings etc ?

I shall have to self administer daily anticoagulant injections fo 30 days - I am quite thin & bruise easily, could I ice before & immediately after injection to minimise bruising or will this diminish transportation or effect of medication ? ( probably a really stupid question, but rather ask here than at pre-op appointment ! )

I suffer random leg cramps particularly at night - I take magnesium tablets which I find really helpful-will I be able continue to take these up to & immediately post op ? are muscle relaxants automatically given with analgesia post op or does cramp have to present itself first ? ......I have a fear that my calves/toes will cramp and my reflex action will be to quickly bend forward to stretch out offending muscles & do terrible damage to my new hip

See.....told you I was anxious !!

Thank you all for taking time to read my post - take care & enjoy the rest of your weekend xx

OS is using adhesive to close skin wound - I am allergic to adhesive on sticking plaster etc..around third/forth day following application intense itching followed by weepy blistered skin - anyone know if this may problematic or if there is a patch test that might be available pre op ?

@KarenKat I think this is a question for your surgical team. From what I can recall reading from other members, the steri strips seemed to be the irritant. With the surgical glue, at least in my case, no sterile strips were used.
As for the spinal sedation, it's come a long way in it's improvements! I worried about that, too. But it was so simple and I barely even remember them doing it, it was that easy. the benefits are that you should have better pain control in recovery, and less nausea. (I had no nausea and I do with GA)

I'm afraid that, in regards to your question about Magnesium, it's another question for your OS.
for example, I was to discontinue all supplements a week prior to my surgery.
But began my magnesium as soon as I could after.

I will end by saying that for most of us, our worries and concerns never materialized.. our brain goes into overdrive during the pre op wait!

Your surgery is soon so I'm guessing that you've had your questions already answered during your pre op exams but still wanted to check in. Best of luck on your THR journey! It's truly life changing for the better. :flwrysmile:

Hi @CricketHip, thanks so much for your message, having re-read my last post a few days after receiving no replies, I realised my questions were too medically specific, and have also read that the community nurse advisor, who may have had some answers, is away & awaiting surgery of your own - as you rightly say, these are really questions for my OP & anaesthetist, both of whom I will see the morning of surgery.

Nurse at pre-op last week told me to stop taking Magnesium as they can enhance anaesthesia but will take them with me to hopefully recommence soon after surgery thanks.....answers to other questions will have to wait until big day. All feels a bit surreal at the moment, as if it’s happening to somebody else....not sure if this is a good or bad thing !

Just got back from hairdressers, so hopefully will look half way presentable during my 3-5 day hospital stay.....the nail technician there is also having aTHR on the same day, at the same hospital, by the same surgeon, and we both have to attend at 7.30am ( scuppers my assumption that I would first on the list though ) - how coincidental is that ?

I’ll set up a recovery log in a few days, so that I can chart my hopefully uneventful & boring progress to help those awaiting surgery as much as I been helped & encouraged both those that have kindly taken the time to post details of their recovery journey - Very best wishes to those playing the waiting game and for those already on the sunny side xx

Best wishes for your surgery and a recovery with great pain management.

@KarenKat your time is almost here!!!!!
I’m excited for you because after the initial healing weeks you will begin getting your life back!
I wouldn't worry about the timing, if it were me. In fact, I'd arrive earlier and maybe be the first in line! :loll:
They try to keep things moving well and you’ll get a few meds to help you relax.
At least this was the case with both of my hips and I hope its that way for you, too. :loveshwr:

The reason its best to have your questions answered by your OS is because they all seem to have a different game plan when it comes to supplements, and any other surgical protocol.
But other questions? We'll be glad to help when we can.
Cant wait to see you on the other side of recovery!!

Last edited:
Good morning peeps on this lovely sunny day in the UK......a quick question if you don’t mind - told pre-op nurse last week that I was very anxious, she smiled knowingly and mentioned pre op meds for this...didn’t think to ask .....is this an oral sedative? how long do they take to become effective? do I need to ask for one as soon as I get to hospital or are they routinely given to the worriers ? I appreciate protocols vary greatly between countries, hospitals & indeed surgical teams, but any info. on your personal experiences will hopefully give me a better idea of what to expect

Many thanks @leejaa for your warm wishes.....the very best wishes to you too for next month - thanks too @CricketHip - it was your response that reminded me about the relaxing pre-meds....had forgotten these would be available-I don’t seem to be able to retain any information given when I’m anxious !!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom