THR Kangaroo is hopping

kangaroo

graduate
Hi folks,
Well I've made it across the surgery journey. Hip was replaced at 7am on Thursday. Anterior approach. The whole thing has been easy. I vomited once due to the combination of the effect of narcotics and an overly enthused physio but other than that I've been fine. I'm on Panadol and an anti-inflammatory only and apart from the stitches pulling when I walk very minimal pain.

Day 1 surgery: felt fine, anaesthetist gave lots of anti nausea drugs. Didn't even use the PCA button thing... didn't need to

Day 2: took a slow release narcotic which sent me spacey and was sick with it. Recovered later in the day when the drug wore off. Got out of bed and walked a little with walking frame

Day 3: showered and dressed, small amounts of walking. No narcotics. Panadol only and ice for swelling.

All is going in the right direction. Daytime TV in Australia is appalling and I haven't much brain space so a bit bored.....a good sign really

Gratias
R.

New Double Hippy!:dancy:
Glad all is done...last hip and last recovery.
Healing Mojo coming your way!:friends:

Welcome to the other side and the double hippie club! Sounds like this recovery started off a bit better than the last. Well done! I'm looking forward to following your journey.

Here are your recovery articles in case you need a refresher.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:welome: Welcome to the healing side! Sounds like you recovered from Rotten Day Two.
Happy to hear you're feeling better. I hope you're resting comfortably today. Stop by often with updates. We'd love to read of your progress and offer support as you're healing.
A peaceful weekend to you!
@kangaroo

@kangaroo - so glad you're over the worst. With time differences you and I are pretty much on the same track so I'll be watching your recovery with great interest.

Good luck!

Rua xx

Sounds like you are doing well---After my own recovery, and listening to countless others as well, I continue to believe there is a lot that needs addressed in terms of pain relief and the medications available to us.

The initial recovery reports of so many of us refer to our challenges with the pain medications. Almost makes me wish we had some of the options available in the science fiction books where they give you a single shot or pill, and all is well:)

Glad you have made it through the first few days and are ready to move to the next stage:)

Hi folks,
Greetings from my hip replacement rehab/ holiday/ retreat centre.
This is just like being on holidays.
The hips totally pain free....panadol only occasionally....range of motion and strength good and improving.
Down to one crutch.
I have my own room and ensuite
They bring me food and tea and clear up the plates
I wander down to physio/hydro or go for a walk occasionally and do a bit of exercise and then come back for a snooze
I have books and art and a bit of knitting
I have a room with a view.
Couldnt be better.
This whole experience has been overwhelmingly easy.
All good!!

:wowspring:Sounds like you in in a great place, emotionally as well as your physical setting!

:egypdance:Glad to know all is going well!
2019 will be a very good year!
:ok:

Hi folks,
So i am home and the hip feels good. The only thing is that i have spiked a fever, 38 degrees.....and my butt feels bruised to touch. Thats been the case for a number of days and the pt puts it down to surgery....but its not resolving......its not sore at all otherwise, just if i touch it, or lean against it on something such as the car seat
The fever is new today....
The wound looks clean and other than the bruising on touching is pain free.
I am not sure if i need to contact the doctor or just sit on it for a while.?

Gratias
R.

Onset of a low grade fever is not uncommon post major surgery ..
Certainly not uncommon.
Do drink plenty of water and keep an eye on it.
Healing hugs coming at you :friends:@kangaroo

I described it as having a hockey putt in my bottom and it was painful for a while but did get better. Squeezing glutes for a bit before atempting to get out of a bed or chair did help. Moving across the bed was the most painful part. Iced helped a lot... all of that should ease in the next week or two. Do lots of elevating and icing!

Since your fever is new today and you're coming up on three weeks post op. I suggest you check with the office of your OS so they can ask you a few questions and either offer reassurance, or suggest you schedule an appt.
A low grade fever is common post op and gradually resolves but in mentioning its new, I think you need to check it out, rather than ignore it.

The bruised feeling is common. I used to describe it as I felt like I was sitting on a golf ball. Icing and OTC meds may help but it will resolve in time. Please do stay in touch in regard to your fever and let us know what you hear.
A peaceful day to you!
@kangaroo

I agree with Layla---if it were me, I'd check in with my doctor.

Like many, I had a fever a couple days after surgery, but 3 weeks out with a new fever might be something else.

I know we need to be aware there will be lots of aches and pains, and we can't expect our recovery to be pain free. But I also think we need to remember that it is our right as patients to get the information we need from our doctors---they work for us. So rather than worrying about something, or perhaps waiting too long, I think checking in with our doctor's office is wise in some cases.:) :-) (:

Keep us posted!

So, feeling fevery again today. I've been to the doctor who has put me on antibiotics as the fever seems to have no obvious cause (eg I don't have a sore throat or cough) except that the wound is looking a bit pink.....so we are covering our bases. If it doesn't resolve quickly then she will readmit me into the hospital for blood tests and IV antibiotics.

Feeling a bit crappy and a bit fevery. The joint feels fine and the "butt bruising" isn't as tender today.

Good for you for following up so quickly! Hopefully it is some random thing that the antibiotics, and possibly extra fluids will take care of. Hard not to worry, but so good to know you are on the right path to get answers! Take care. :console2:

Sorry to hear this but at least your Doctor is on the case. Glad your butt pain has eased too. Keep squeezing those glutes, helps with walking too. Hope the fever resolves.

Hi @kangeroo any update on your last post? Hope the antibiotics sorted things out for you and you are feeling a bit better.

Hi @kangaroo
Thinking of you this morning and hoping all is well.
Wondering how you're doing after the antibiotics?
Leave us an update if you stop by....we care.
Hope you're having a good week so far.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks