BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Kangaroo is back

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by kangaroo, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:44 AM.

1. kangaroo

kangaroo graduate

Hi folks,
    Its been 9 years since I was last on this site. I have just scrolled through the forum and found my old comments and questions, as I am going in again. Hip replacement number 2. LTHR this time. 2009 I had my right hip done, minimally invasive techniques. Superb. So good that I stopped posting on this site and got on with living life!

In two weeks time I am in for the chop again. Its not exactly desperate. Actually its not desperate at all. The hips starting to give me grief and I don't have enough life left to hang about waiting for it to become disastrous or desperate, so I am bypassing it becoming a painful, life limiting mess and opting for a better quality of life.

I am not particularly concerned about the surgery itself. Last time was really straightforward and I had no surgical issues at all. Relatively little pain and mobile very quickly. My biggest issues were the post surgery nausea and the vomiting. Uggh. I am hoping that all the assurance given about improved anaesthetics and better anti nausea /pain relief drugs etc etc is not just rhetoric.
    I am not feeling entirely confident of this, but I am doing a song and dance act and reinforcing to the doctors my concerns. I can do hip replacement....vomiting is another issue!!

Greeting to Josephine and Jamie and to anybody else on here that I might have known from way back when....
    I hope that you are all dancing happily along and life treating you well.
    Gratias
    Rachel

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @kangeroo
    Glad your first hip was such a success. Do you know what type of anaesthetic you are having this time?
    It seems that most people these days have a spinal rather than general anaesthetic. Certainly I have had spinal twice and there are no sickness after effects as there are with a GA.
    Of course your sickness might have been caused by some of the pain killers afterwards. The first time they gave me oramorph (oral morphine) and it made me feel sick. As soon as I said something they gave me an anti sickness drug and everything was fine but I didn't take the oramorph again.

3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@kangaroo Welcome back to BoneSmart! Can you please give me your 2 surgery dates? I'll pop the information in your signature for you.

No more need for nausea or vomiting. Ask for a spinal with sedation. I can't tolerate the after effects of GA either. But a spinal is magic! You wake up very quickly with no nausea or that groggy feeling. Ask for anti-nausea medication as well - just in case. Sometimes it's the pain killers that create the nausea. Staff would rather you focus on getting mobile than a yucky tummy.

4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :wave: and welcome back!
    Glad righty is taking you well and you will soon be double hippy happy!:chuckmarch:
    Hopefully now that they know, they can take steps to mitigate that post surgery nausea.
    Do you have a date yet?

5. kangaroo

kangaroo graduate

My Right was 28th April, 2009
    And my left is on 24th January.

I think the nausea was a pain relief issue as they used a spinal block I think, last time. I am hoping that they can put something thats not nauseating in the pain relief button, thingy, and dose me up with anti nausea drugs in advance. I remember the surgeon said to me -mid vomit - get off that button and the vomiting will stop. He was right. Its a balance thing between pain relief and vomiting....I vomit with pain too.

6. Mojo333

:heehee:
    Yea, doc. Easier said than done.

Surely they can get a plan!
    You were here long before I was...but I'm sure you have heard many say that their op experiences and recoveries can be markedly different. Do we are going to hope that this one is much easier with a preplan in place!
    Glad you will be sharing your journey with us.

7. kangaroo

kangaroo graduate

I hope that we can get a plan together. I am jumping up and down and doing a bit of a dance in the hope that they take notice. Every person that might be vaguely concerned with my hip surgery is being informed...pre-admission clinic, anaesthetist, surgeon...
    One surgeon when I was younger told me that its 90% in his control, and 10% in my head. Perhaps there is a psychological component?
    I can cope with hip surgery. This is my first operation on my left hip, but i have had 8 previous surgeries on my right. And every time, I vomit....aggghhh....
    Maybe the only possibility is Divine Intervention!!

8. Mojo333

:praying: for Divine Intervention.
    Ten years since last...and no one hips.
    Think positive! And we will be rooting for you!:angel:

9. kangaroo

kangaroo graduate

So, I have been searching and scrolling through all of my previous posts from 2009. I came across this post which was addressed to another person who had similar symptoms as I did ...which included minimal pain, but rather a life limited by the dodgy hip. My situation now is virtually the same, except of course everyone is 9 years older. I don't have acute pain, I don't use a stick, nor am I on masses of drugs. I am simply fed up with the hip limiting my range of movement and therefore my ability to live life to the full. The Glory of God is a human person fully alive, and my hip is stopping me from living it fully!! I always said that when the left hip started to announce itself it would get the chop. I don't have time to put up with immobility which can be resolved via hip replacement. Anyway, I thought I would copy and paste my previous post. It still reflects something of what is coming to mind now......

I'm 42 (now 52) and I have 5 children and since I've started posting I've virtually had no pain at all. ....I've walked around the park, I've been to the shops, gone fishing...I've even tried to push myself just to experience pain so that I know its still there. and I too, think at times that I must be nuts....!Why on earth would I allow the dr to cut out a functional albeit defective hip joint, endure weeks of pain and inconvenience ,risk that I could get any number of rare but nasty sounding complications, and have my family thrown out of wack, .....? I agree it sounds like mad talk. And then I think maybe its just attention seeking....Maybe I'm lonely and just need some bonesmart friends....Maybe its just another project...patchwork quilting but I'm the fabric (you know the definition of Patchwork...take perfectly good pieces of material, cut them up and then put them back together again!)

But then I sit back and consider my childrens mother whom they see as being unable to get into the groove, play soccer, ride bikes etc . I consider my relationship with my husband and ALL that this entails, I look with envy at other women that i know who go to the gym or for a run or go dancing or whatever and I once again have an excuse for not getting into life. I'm just tired of sitting on the sidelines, I almost feel guilty if I feel happy, I seem to only be able to whinge and complain and before I became seriously affected by this hip (in terms of mobility) I was always jovial and genuinly carefree. I guess I want that person back . Have I lost my sense of self because of my hip, or because of all that life entails? Who Knows?!

My OS reckons I shouldn't need a revision until I'm 70, if at all and although he can't guarantee this, I am a betting lady (not literally) . I figure I'm willing to take a risk that I'll get 30 years rather than be sure I'll get 15. No I'm not worried about a revision, that may or maynot happen, and by then technology continues to advance.

Am I worried about surgery...not really...just not keen on pain or the after effects of anaesthetic and I'm not a good worker when it comes to boring physio exercises!

Yes I have had second thoughts but it is time.....time to "get on with it", time to embrace life and time to let go of the crutch thats holding me back....bring it on, game on!

Rachel

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mojo333

:loveshwr: inspirational to all still "on the fence" about hip replacement!

I am still ever so thankful for my new hips...and new and improved life!

Onward:egypdance:

11. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi there, :wave:
    Welcome back to the forum.
    Not many days to go until you're a double hippie with no more pain.
    You know we'll be here to cheer you on. :yes!:
    Wishing you comfort as you await the 24th :)
    @kangaroo

12. kangaroo

kangaroo graduate

Yes thanks all.
    Count down has started....
    Feeling ok with it all although a bit frustrated. My family and friends are very dismissive of this surgery....They are so used to me having dodgy hips and such that the prospect of surgery is not even raising a blink. The fact that this surgery is frequently done, common place does not mean that for this body its not a big deal. I dont think anyone here has any concept of the emotional impact right now or of the physical impact in the early weeks post surgery....yes it will all end well, but the fact that it takes a year to recover fully should say something. I have suggested to extended family that they visit in hospital/rehab but they are dismissive of the need. I'll be in hospital/rehab for two weeks. Thats a long time!

13. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I got the same reaction from my family and it's very annoying. People don't realise that you are discharged from hospital TO recover - not fully recovered. Keep coming here and sharing your frustration. We do understand!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Show them the video of a THR :yikes:
    Then see what they think :bolt:
    @kangaroo

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. kangaroo

kangaroo graduate

Haha...yes.
    I started watching that and decided ignorance is bliss!
    I am usually quite relaxed about these things....hut decided that the nerves of upcoming surgery dont meed feeding!!

• Agree Agree x 1