THR Kaliella's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 11th day post-surgery, and doing much better overall. Energy levels are good; I don't often fall asleep during the day anymore but sometimes take a short nap. My OS renewed my pain prescription but dropped it from percocet 10/325 to oxycodone 5 mg every 6 hours. I think he is pretty conservative with the pain meds (and in general). That does fine during the day but I take two at night, plus 500 mg Tylenol, since I get kind of achy.

The worst of the thigh pain I was experiencing in days 5-7 has resolved. After much research it seems to be my IT band that was/is the problem. It's still tight and hurts on the side of my knee and up the side of my leg several inches when I try to bend my knee past about 90/100 degrees. Stretching and massage helps, and I have been doing my PT exercises more in order to strengthen other muscles and take some of the strain off the IT band when I walk. The anterior part of my thigh is also very tight, but seems to be slowly improving.

Can't lift my entire leg more than a couple of inches while sitting in a chair yet. Can get myself out of bed fine, and into bed with great effort--the husband usually helps by lifting my legs while I turn. Still on a walker but can get around the house with a cane as well; not as comfortable with that so I'll probably give it another couple of days before switching over. I had a little panic late this past week where I was convinced that a 1" section of my incision was infected, but after sending pictures to my OS's RN and talking to her she has assured me that it is just irritation from the rubbing of my pantyline. Tomorrow she is supposed to call me and instruct me on how to remove the clear incision covering. All told, I feel pretty decent at this point in recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ,how are you doing this week?
Hope you are getting stronger day by day.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Hi rauerbach, I hope you're doing well, too. Your recovery has been amazing; I'm jealous! I moved to a cane yesterday and even took the dog out for a short walk. I was not doing my PT exercises much for the first week or so because of the pain, but since starting to do them more I've seen improvement every day in my strength and range of motion. Last night I slept on my non-operated side for about an hour and a half before waking. It felt good to get off my back, even for a bit! I still experience a lot of aching at night, but I'm doing well during the day with icing and elevation so today I'm trying to move to Tylenol instead of 5 mg oxycodone during the day.

Happy Easter to all! Almost 4 month out and I am loving the the results and range of motion. No back pain to speak of. Recovered my balance and leg strength too.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Happy Easter to all! Almost 4 month out and I am loving the the results and range of motion. No back pain to speak of. Recovered my balance and leg strength too.

Glad to hear it! I was doing really well too until a few weeks ago. I've been having various pains recently, but oftentimes they're around my knee rather than the hip. I have an appointment in a few weeks to go in for an early follow-up. A bit concerned about the possibility of a loose stem, especially since I had to resume a low dose of prednisone due to an RA flare-up about two months after surgery. But it might also be IT band and/or trochanter bursitis troubles based on the location and symptoms... fingers crossed there's nothing major going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom