PKR Kakky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakky

Country
Australia Australia
Thanks for this great informative site. I am 8 weeks post PKR. Still having pain and swelling issues hope to go back to work 5 days per week in 10 days time.. Will be doing a fair bit of walking. Could this be a bit too soon? As I have not had any previous knee surgery I am not sure how far to push myself.
Thanks
Kakky

Sound like you are over doing and at this point would say going back to wok full time in ten days may be to much. At least try a few days with mayber 4-5 hours to see how you do.

Hi Kakky

I had a left PKR in July last and have to say it took a couple of months for the swelling to go. Mine was uncemented so I needed to be on crutches for 12 weeks so not sure if we are comparing like with like. More importantly my knee today is really good and I can cycle, kayak and pretty much do anything I want to. Havnt built up the courage to go surfing again but that is only a matter of time. So hang in there, rest up, and you will be flying around in no time. While the Jury is pretty much out on PKR's I have to say that for me, as I type this today, things are on the up and it seems to be working out.

Regards

Patrick

Thanks Patrick,
I was only on crutches partial weight bearing for 2 weeks then walked unaided when I was at home.so I assume cement was used. How long after did you start cycling etc? How long did you take pain relief for? I still need to take Oxycontin at night and panadol during the day. From what I read from this site it would appear that this is OK.
Glad to hear that you are very active again.
Cheers
Kakky

Hi, Kakky...welcome to BoneSmart!

It sounds like you are doing just fine following your PKR. Use of the meds you're on is pretty typical even several months out. Each person's recovery is different and it may very well be that you are not ready to go back to work yet.

Is it possible to phase yourself into those full days and weeks for a couple of weeks? That would really help you!

I tried working 3 days a week (5 hour days) at 8 weeks, and boy was I sorry! Being on my feet that much all of a sudden surely set me back. If I had it all to do over again, I would have waited for 12 weeks to try to go back and then only two days a week. But you know what they say, 'hind sight is 20/20!" I was on pain killers regular for 12 weeks then eventually cut back to just for sleeping but once I started being on my feet at work (which was too soon) I had to start back on day time pain meds again. Please take time to rest and enjoy your time off, we have the rest of our lives to work, but only now to heal... :doggieshmooze:

Hi Kakky....Welcome. You'll find the support, feedback and compassion incredible on BS. Only thing that I can add (I'm 9 weeks from TKR) - ice, elevate, medicate (as needed) and rest (after PT, of course)...:thumb:

Re Medial PKR

Thanks to all who gave me such good advice. I shall look at a graduated back to work program. All your comments and support have been really wonderful.
I am seeing my OS next week and would like to get some things clarified via the forum so that I can ask him sensible questions.
1. Is it normal to get pain on walking in the same area of knee (medial) where pain was before surgery? I thought this pain would go.
2. I sometimes feel clicking in the medial area. Is this normal?
3. Pain, discomfort and restless leg is a problem at night. Keeps me awake for 2-3 hours. I saw GP who suggested either valium or increasing endone. I opted for increasing endone. ( Only use it at night) Do others use valium for muscle & restless leg issues?
Look forward to your comments. Thanks again.
Happy Australia Day to all the Aussies.
Cheers
Kakky

Re: Re Medial PKR

Hi Kakky, I am glad that you found some answers here and good that you've come back with more questions! The clicking and clunking is just fine. For some it goes away eventually, but for some it never does. I used to notice/hear mine especially at night when the house was quiet. I have asked the doctor about it several times and the PT as well and I am told the same each time. Metal on plastic that is all that it is. If ever you get PAIN with noise that is something to call the doctor about, but day to day clicking and clunking with no pain is nothing to be concerned about. It is just your new knee talking to you!

I have never taken valium before (although once I had to get it for my dog)! Yes, night time is the worst time, as you lay in bed trying to go to sleep you feel everything, it is hard to get comfortable. Eventually it will get better day by day, just like everything else. I did take sleeping pills that the doctor prescribed the first 30 days, but stopped taking them after that because I wanted my body to be able fall asleep naturally. I refilled the RX once and just would take one every now and then if I was having an especially achey day/night. Be sure to make a list of questions for your doctor as you think of them. That is what I did or otherwise I would forget something. Come back and tell us how he says you are doing!!:yay::yay::yay:

Happy Australia day to you too from way down here in Texas!

Re: Re Medial PKR

1. Is it normal to get pain on walking in the same area of knee (medial) where pain was before surgery? I thought this pain would go.
3. Pain, discomfort and restless leg is a problem at night.
At 8 weeks, you will still be having simple post-op pain from the surgical wound. The wound goes all the way down to the knee of course, and takes a while to heal
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery

Are you still resting, elevating and icing your knee?
What pain meds are you taking - how much and how often?
What activities are you doing each day - apart from exercises. Any cleaning, laundry, cooking vacuuming, shopping, long walks?
2. I sometimes feel clicking in the medial area. Is this normal?
Quite normal. As Bonnie said, it will disappear with time.

Hi Josephine,
Thanks. I am working 2 days a week and part of that working day is walking/standing in hospitals 3-4 hours. I try to sit down and rest as much as I can. I am doing normal household activities except for vacuuming, I sit in a recliner chair using the foot rest as elevation when I am not doing stuff. I ice my leg a couple of times a day. ( perhaps this is not enough). Pain relief I take 2 panadol maybe once during the day as I can tolerate the discomfort. For the last 2 nights I have taken 7.5mgms of endone, 2 ibubrufen and a temaze. This has helped a bit with the night time issues. I do leg straightening, bending and quad exercises randomly during the day although the knee bends are difficult to do due to the swelling in front and behind knee. I still see my PT at 2 week intervals. She is very good but having read some of the posts from others I think she may be pushing me a little bit too much as the treatment can be quite painful. (peel me off the ceiling please)!!!
I think I might be under medicating myself.
Thanks
Kathy

For sure you are! At only eight weeks that is totally inadequate. I suggest the following regime:
- take the Panadol 4 hourly (x 4) regardless of what you are feeling and take ibuprofen twice during the day as well
- at night take the ocycodone (endone), the ibuprofen and the tamazepam (temaze)

You need to ice as much as you can and as long as you can. It's a great aid to pain management and also helps with the swelling.

If you are working, you should do as little household chores as possible, even on the days you are not working. Just the bare necessities such as cooking yourself a meal. If you have a family to care for, nows the time they can care for mum!

I would have said that 8 weeks return to work was far too early and little wonder you are having problems. You are going to set your recovery back considerably because of this. You are still so very early in your recovery and need to make up for the time you are at work by taking extra special care of yourself on days off.

Also, since you are working, I would suggest you quit the PT altogether. Your job is quite enough PT all on it's own and what you need in the way of flexion exercises you can do yourself perfectly well. Plus it adds to your fatigue which isn't good either.

Also, in addition to the articles I gave you in my last post, read these articles as well
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress (do take note the activity progress in this article)

Please make sure you read and digest this stuff. It's the key to having a tolerable and successful recovery.

Hi Josephine,
Thank you for your great advice. I shall keep you informed as to how things go over the next week
Cheers
Kakky

Hi Kakky

In reply to your questions I was back on a stationary bike in 4 weeks doing short stints. It was more getting the knee to turn over rather than anything cardio. I routinely readjusted the sadle (up/down) so that the knee and leg muscles had to think about what they were doing rather than just turning over. Throughout the next month I went through this routine. In conjunction after the wound had fully healed I was back in the pool every second day if I could make it. I found the pool best off all and did a lot of straight leg raises, straignt leg backwards (dont know what thats called), side legs, small straight leg kicking on my back and front and then gentle leg bends. I also did squats in water up to my chest and then as my leg got stronger did them in more shallow water until it was up to my waist. If I thought there was too much pressure on my knee I backed off. Throughout the whole rehab I went for high reps, low pressure, low weights and did the exercises super slow. I felt I needed to be in control at all times. Every second day I rested my knee NO EXERCISE.

On the med side after 4 weeks I only took NSAIDs when needed and a couple of paracetemol.

Hope the rehabs going well the key in my mind, like with all sport, is slow and controlled with plenty of rest to let the body recover

Trust this helps

Regards

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads