Bilateral THR Jwadds Recovery (2 hip to be square!)

Do you feel ready? Are you able to walk without the aid of devices outside?You sound like much has returned to normal or at least to a place prior to the arthritic situation.I just don't fathom it.

Yes I do feel like I will be ready. I will go back phased in. I use a cane when I’m out but that’s really just to be cautious on uneven sidewalks. It’s more of a security blanket than an assisted device.
I’m not totally there yet. Stiff when getting up and for the first 10 steps. OS said it may take up to a year before I feel like I haven’t had hip replacements. I drove downtown today for a doctor appointment and I was falling asleep after dinner, so I went to bed. No energy when I do major things.

I used the cane the same way, Jwadds.
I’m not totally there yet. Stiff when getting up and for the first 10 steps
I had stutter steps for quite a while also.

OS said it may take up to a year before I feel like I haven’t had hip replacements.
He's right...but it does, as you know, keep getting better and better. :ok:

No energy when I do major things.
:yes:
Seems like my stamina was the hardest thing to regain, but I went back to work super early..short days and came home and crashed!:dead:

Last edited:
I guess you are proof that this turns out well. My private PT said at 6 months you can do most things still with some fatigue but it takes a full year to feel totally OK so you are doing great. Thanks for the honesty,much appreciated.

Your welcome... keep the faith @mikeycat
You will get there... you ARE getting there.
We BTHR hippys get to hold the "Both at Once!!??" moniker for life.
People don't believe I've had one, much less two at once.

I can not tell you how much this forum helped me, especially the reassurances from others who have gone before me and the ones that are following. Wonderful to know everyone has similar experiences and are in the same boat and are fine. It's a scary operation to go through, especially bilateral, so glad I found this site. I've been telling everyone about this site, my OS, PT and anyone who will listen! :flwrysmile:

Thanks for your contributions to the forum as it will be helpful to those following behind you. I'm amazed at the courage of those who choose bilateral surgery. It has to be a scary prospect going in. One would think your initial thoughts would be that you aren't going to have a good leg to depend on.
You're doing so well. It must feel like a new lease on life. Wishing you comfort and healing as you continue on your way. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@jwadds

I'm going back to work next Monday, July 22.:bawl: I'm doing a gradual return, 3 days in the mornings only, increasing 2nd week to 3 full days. Doctor said to monitor how it goes. Going to miss my garden and sleeping in!. Surgery was 10 weeks last Friday.

I seem to have plateaued in the past 3 weeks. Really amazing progress starting week 5 and acceleration to week 7. Noticed improvement almost every day. Last 3 weeks have been virtually no progress, still mildly stiff and sore and energy level is just okay. All is bearable so I thought I'd try going back to work. I'm planning on taking breaks every hour and going for a 15 min walk, to minimize the stiffness. Will report back.

Wishing you all the best! I'll bet you handle the Phased Return well.
Hopefully you can put your feet up and rest once you get home with your buddy, ice. :ice:
Please do let us know how it goes. We're all rooting for you and hope you're double hippie happy. :happydance:
@jwadds

Good to hear from you @jwadds .
There can be some seemingly stall periods on this recovery road...but there is still improvements to come.

Work is likely to be draining but I'm guessing if it's anything like my recovery, you will do well while you are there, and be whipped after you get home.:dead:
Come home and assume the position.:ice:
Wish you had kept brownie...:unsure:

I had both hips done May 14 and June 10...the most recent surgery was on my right hip I experienced three infections over the last month and found this site as I was searching for answers...It has been very helpful to see that several have went through the same experience. My left side I am 9 weeks out and doing well this is the one that had me in more pain preop My right side has given me fits!! I am so glad I found this forum..it has reduced alot of my anxiety...this is my first post hope I did this right!!!@jwadds you have surely helped me to understand I am actually doing ok despite the infections I have overcame

Hi @Aline
Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re happy that you have joined us here...as it sounds like you've had some hiccups these early days.

We want to share your journey with you so please start a thread of your own in the proper forum. By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on "Help & Info", then click on "How to Use This Forum". Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

Good to hear from you @Aline. I think you are incredibly brave to do your bilateral a few weeks apart. I don’t they could’ve got me back in the OR 4 weeks after for another operation! Yes please start a thread, we will all support and follow you!

@Mojo333 yes I miss ole brownie, I’m sure even more when I get home from work next week. Wish I had the foresight to buy instead of rent. I’m looking for a more modern version for my bedroom but I’d bonded with that big cosy brown bear. I hope someone else is giving it the love it deserves❤️

I think you are incredibly brave to do your bilateral a few weeks apart. I don’t they could’ve got me back in the OR 4 weeks after for another operation!
I agree. Cornishgal did hers ONE week apart:flabber:

Hope you have a good week @jwadds :yes:

lol funny you say that...trust mewhen i tell you when i was in preop for second I said to my sister...ohh theres the nurse that put me under and then comes along the Primary Doc who goes over your vitals and they remenber you.... well as I ws laughing my insides and brain was about to explode!!!My sister knows me all too well as I got up to go to restroom when i returned my nurse and ansethiogist was there with much medication to relax me I guess askubg for 4 blankets as i was shivering they kinda figured it was my nerves LOL I can laugh now...but im hear to tell ya...struggle has been REAL!!!

I went into work this morning for the first time in 13 weeks (off 2 weeks prior to surgery plus 11 weeks post op). Was there for 4 hours and I came home exhausted! Started yawning around midmorning and couldn't wait to get home to shut my eyes for 20 min.:sleep: People here have said going back to work is tiring but I didn't think it would be for me as I just sit at a desk.

Left hip started aching after sitting for an hour and a half, so I went for a walk outside for 15 min, which was glorious as it's a beautiful day here (24 celsius/75 fahrenheit). Felt good after that, but then started aching again before I left. Need to schedule regular hourly breaks to move. Strange because I sit at home and my hips don't ache. I think I'm more active at home than I realize getting meals/drinks, dishwasher, making the bed, laundry, gardening, etc.
It's 4:30 now and I'm going to barbecue some salmon and then I'll probably be ready to hit the hay early. Nice I have tomorrow off and then back at work Wed & Fri mornings.... could get used to these semi-retirement hours!

I'm very, very grateful to have the time off to heal and recuperate and to do a gradual return to work. Everyone was so supportive and happy to see me. I am one fortunate gal !!:SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom