Bilateral THR Jwadds Recovery (2 hip to be square!)

Hi @SE Florida, all good here! just resting and recovering. I went for a walk today, only about 1/2 block and back, but it was such a beautiful day here it was wonderful to be outside.
I have throbbing pain starting in the evening in my left hip most nights... sent an email to my OS to ask if it's common to have pain just on one side... my right hip is great. It sore when I move, but otherwise no pain!

:hi: @jwadds You are doing so well.:flwrysmile:
So glad you were able to be able to get out into the world. I know at one month out I was struggling with cabin fever!
Are you using a cane or other walking aides? For me, one leg seemed stronger than the other one case and I unwittingly "leaned" on it more and ultimately got some guidance for my new gait to make sure I was walking heel /toe properly. New shoes were in order also as the wear pattern on my old shoes were not great in my new hips either.
All the years of bad walking and posture due to hip pain caused some other aches and pains to crop up as I adjusted to my good hips.
Do keep the ice going, particularly on the achy one! Hope this is just an adjustment hiccup as you have become more mobile!
Hope today is a good day and OS is able to give you some reassurance!:ok:

So glad you were able to get outside for a short walk @jwadds! It sounds like you're doing really well in such a short time. I hope your OS will help ease your mind today about the pain. I hope you're still using ice, it's best to keep that up for a couple of months at least!!! :ice:

Sounds like you're doing really well! I'd guess with two new hips, one will excel over the other.
I'm sure you'll receive reassurance from your surgeon that what you're experiencing is normal.
Hopefully you have another nice day on tap and are able to get outside again.
Happy Thursday!
@jwadds

So it been 3 weeks as of yesterday and I’m still dealing with toothache pain in left hip. Need to ice and regular meds (Tylenol & Tramadol).

Also heard back from OS and she said each side progressing differently is normal, also the UTI does increase the risk of infection in the prosthesis :shocked: so I need to keep a close eye on signs of infection. I’ve finished the Macrobid and I’m not 100% sure it’s cleared up, so Im starting a regime of D mannose and cranberry capsules. Going to follow up with family doc next week to get tested to make sure it’s gone... does anyone know if there are home tests that can be done? Such a hassle to get to doc and then get to the clinic!
@Mojo333 im still using a walker as that’s the only thing that helps me walk with a semi normal gate. I definitely need help with that so have a Physio appointment next Thursday.

As nice as it is to get out now & again; getting out to medical appointments is not my idea of a fun time either! Especially since there still seems to be so many flu cases out there.
You can get home tests for UTI on Amazon Canada with next day delivery. They come in multi-packs so you can continue to monitor it.
@jwadds

@jwadds
It's hard to believe 3 weeks out for you. It seems like yesterday you went into surgery. I think you are amazing!!! Living alone, helping yourself with a bilateral!!!! Don't ever think you are not a star in the post OP.:thumb::yes:

Superstar!
Hang in there @jwadds
:loveshwr:

Glad things are progressing nicely and those staples are out. I have had 2 UTIs. Stay on top of it. I don’t think my first round of antibiotics knocked it out. Annoying at night. Didn’t even think of infection risk. Smart to know all possibilities. Hope you are well today. ❤️

@jwadds
It's hard to believe 3 weeks out for you. It seems like yesterday you went into surgery. I think you are amazing!!!
I can't believe it's been THREE weeks..............omg, where is the time going??! It sounds like you're doing really well @jwadds and am hoping that UTI test kit says negative too so you can just focus on recovery with those 2 brand new shiny hips!!! Hope you have a nice weekend!

@ jwadds How are you? Is your hip pain any better? How were the results of UTI? Keep posting. Oh I can't for the life of me understand why my geese avatar seems to litter over someone else's.

Get your UTI sorted ASAP as they can get worse quite quickly and affect how you feel so much. I had a couple after my spinal op and I was exhausted by them. As soon as they went with antibiotics I felt so so much better on every level.

Thanks for everyone’s concern!

Well, the home UTI tests are not exactly easy to understand, at least the one I got isn’t. After a bit of online research to try and interpret the results it seems the infection had gone. It does show the specific gravity is high, so that indicates dehydration. I really have to force myself to drink more water!

I did take did take Macrobid antibiotics for 7 days and now I’m taking d-mannose mixed in water as well as cranberry capsules. I still seem to have to go urgently but that maybe age related!

Feeling slightly better with toothache pain in left hip, so I may try and ease off the Tramadol.... I think there’s a link on the bonesmart library on recommendations for Tylenol & Tramadol weening.

Hmmm can’t seen to find the link to wean off of Tramadol.. does anyone have any suggestions?

I’m currently taking 50mg Tramadol and 650 mg Tylenol, 4 times/day, except in the morning when I take 1300 mg of Tylenol.

I still find my bladder is either on or off with no in between. As soon as I feel I need to get moving quickly. I remember this from last time too but it did go away eventually. It makes sense right after surgery but no idea why it lingers so long.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads