Bilateral THR Jwadds Recovery (2 hip to be square!)

@jwadds It sounds like you were managing a bit better Tuesday........hopefully they are keeping you comfortable and have your meds straightened out now. I hope you're able to be released soon and able to get some uninterrupted rest either at home or in rehab. When you feel up to it, drop us an update. We'd all love hearing your progress. :flwrysmile:

Hi all, well I am cleared to go home tomorrow! (Saturday) that will be 8 nights in the hospital. Finally think my pain meds are figured out. The magic potion for me right now seems to be Tramadol and Tylenol 4 times a day and oxycodonde (7.5mg) every 4-6 hours as needed. Nausea and vomiting are gone (fingers crossed), and number 2 last night after peg, sennicot and finally suppository!

They kept me in to sort out all the above and also because I was going home without live in care, so I really had to practice getting in and out of bed by myself.

Still a bit daunted about going home but I am sure looking forward to that recliner!

Glad you are getting the okay to go home. I'm sure you will do fine. Especially now that they have your meds sorted out. Enjoy your last day of nurse care and have a safe trip home!

So glad your pain is being managed and that things are "going " well.
Get someone to help you get nested in that lovely recliner...with all essentials close by and be mindful and slow when taking your trips to the kitchen and bathroom.
You have this! And things will be getting better and better.
Healing hugs from your bilateral pal!

Happy Mother’s Day to all my bonesmarties! I’m home now and resting in my recliner... received the best Mothers Day card ever from my 2 beauties.

I had the dressings removed yesterday before leaving the hospital and staples removed by my family doctor on Thursday. But, I feel like the incision on the left side is more tender than the right and I’m worried it maybe getting infected. I’ll call the doc tomorrow, but does anyone have suggestions if I should do in the meantime? I’m applying ice several times a day and plan on covering it before showering as directed by the nurse as it still is slightly weeping.

Attachments

• AE1FF297-E2D4-446F-8172-EB9822A61496.jpeg
    AE1FF297-E2D4-446F-8172-EB9822A61496.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 178
What a sweet card! Happy Mother's Day to you also! Someone should be on here soon to comment on how they handled their incision when showering. I had a specific bandage on mine (forget the name) so I didn't have to do anything special. Hope your recovery continues going well!

what a beautiful card... I love it!

My incision is quite tender in several spots. One side worse than other, and one spot in particular hurts a lot. Normal. Totally normal. My knee was the same!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

From my experience I remember keeping it dry and with some air time was advised. If you have on of your daughter's around to take a peek or a picture, look for any red streaking.

Lovely message on your card! I hope you enjoyed your Mother's Day! :flwrysmile:

I too had an aquacell bandage for the first few weeks so I kept it covered and when bandage finally came off, I would keep water from directly hitting the incision.
I agree letting the doctor address any concerns will be the safest thing even though some weeping is not uncommon.
Hope you get some reassurance on this so you can relax ...healing hugs:friends:

Welcome home! Happy to see your pain is better controlled. I had a foot long incision and 50 staples. It was very tender after staples removed at 2 week mark. Was at least a week more before I could handle anything but the softest sweatpants touching it. I kept it dry and no soaps or oil until all staple marks were healed. Took longer than I thought it would, and healing was not even across it. Agree a doctor is best to be certain.

Hope you are getting the help you need. I got up a lot at night the first week and needed help. Sending healing thoughts ❤️

They gave me extra aquacell bandages at the OS office........I guess I got lucky! Some posts on here have mentioned using Saran wrap in the shower. Sounds like a lot of work! Good idea of getting the pic and speaking with your surgeon to ease any concerns!

Last edited:
@SE Florida they sent me home with 2 waterproof dressings and I used one in the shower yesterday on my left side, but took it off because I thought it should air. Will wait to hear from surgeon but I’m inclined to put the other one on and leave it on until staples are removed on Thursday.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks