THR Just kind of a bummer

LMBC

Country
United States United States
Surgery went well - was out of recovery at around 3pm. My right leg is still numb from just below my kneecap to just below my hip (of course my hip area isn’t numb!). Pt came twice to get me up to walk but had to leave both times because of the numbness. They’ve been bringing a port a potty chair next to my bed which they help to if I need to go. But that’s a problem because my bladder just won’t release and it’s super frustrating. Any suggestions on how to wake up my bladder muscles?

Hi @LMBC
Glad to know you are all done and after this surgery trauma heals, will have a happy hip.
The urinary retention is, I'm sure, frustrating, although not uncommon, after surgery as a result of the anaesthesia.
Getting up to sit on the potty is tricky in itself and then not going, :groan:
I had to get some running water going from the sink...and let some of that anaesthesia wear off before I could go.
They likely added something for numbness to help with pain control and after that my "log leg" took a bit to resolve...
All Temporary, friend so try not to worry.
Leaving you recovery guidelines that you can check out...maybe once you're home.
Rest all you can...hugs xx
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

You have me laughing, remembering my own stuck bladder. One of the nurses helped me into the bathroom and I sat. And sat. And sat. Finally she turned on the water in the sink and that did it! welcome to the healing side.

Successful surgery on Tuesday. I go home today. I feel pretty crummy the minut the pain meds wear off and I haven’t slept since during the actual surgery. I think I may have had some unrealistic expectations for recovery. Feeling depressed.

Don't get depressed!! I was in a terrible place the evening of day 2....SUPER sore, light headed, ready to pass out. Then got home in my recliner and slept ALOT.....feel better each time I get up. We've got this...together we can get back to normal!! Hang in there!! This is my day 4, and still on pain meds on a regular basis. I thought I could just do tylenol....NOT!! Just remember to keep ice on it, it makes a huge difference in the swelling. Be safe going home, and put on your favorite gown, and relax!! You will feel so much better! Take care and keep in touch

You're gone feel GREAT in a couple of days.

Get home.
Get to sleep.
Get elevated.
Get iced.
Get walking.
Don’t get PT.
Stretch lightly when comfortable.

Much of what you’re “feeling“ is, from my experience, the narcotics. While not everyone agrees, I tried to quickly get off them on my second hip - my goal was to “know” there was some pain - I’m not talking about getting behind the pain, but rather recognizing it is too easy to not feel any pain.

My salvation was Tylenol - and ice. I maxed out with Tylenol at 4 g/day and iced often for an hour at a time. Silicon gel ice packs straight to the skin. I then started slowly reducing Tylenol - not because it messed up my head like narcotics, but because it was unnecessary.

Congrats on your new hip! Safe travels home today.
I think you’ll rest better once you’re in your own a space. It’s normal to feel a bit blue initially. You're in pain, attempting to do most anything feels like an exercise in futility and if you’re like me, you feel old, dumpy and helpless, lol. It doesn’t last. Truly. You will notice progress weekly if you pick a day, one day / same day every week and reflect back.
Don’t look for daily progress or you’ll be disappointed.

Read the Recovery Guidelines when you’re up to it as the info is helpful. One of my favorite articles was the Activity Progression For THR. Following it loosely keeps you physically active enough in the early weeks, without overdoing it and suffering afterward.
Get the ice going.:ice:It helps with pain and swelling. I found it to be a lifesaver, icing almost non-stop in the early days. Make sure to always have a buffer between skin and your ice source.
Wishing you a day of peaceful comfort. :)
@LMBC

The first hurdle, you've gotten away from the hospital. Now get home to your recliner, the ice, and meds. Tylenol for pain, nsaids for inflammation. I had the luxury of Tramadol. I've taken 8 of the 50 in the scrip. Taken at night it was just enough so that I could sleep. Now at 8 days out they aren't necessary but they're here. Like everyone has said, no PT. Ankle/calf flex, quad tension and 12 ounce curls with your water glass. Stay hydrated. Be patient you'll get through this, as one of my mentors always said, as long as it takes to do it right. You know your body better than anyone filter all advice through what you know.

But that’s a problem because my bladder just won’t release and it’s super frustrating. Any suggestions on how to wake up my bladder muscles?
I hope your bladder has sorted itself out by now. Bladder control can sometimes be affected by the spinal anaesthetic, but the problem should wear off within a few days. Instead of retention, some people get incontinence for short while.
I feel pretty crummy the minute the pain meds wear off and I haven’t slept since during the actual surgery. I think I may have had some unrealistic expectations for recovery. Feeling depressed.
The trick is to take you pain medications on a regular schedule, so that you don't get that severe pain . It's much better to do that then to always be playing catch-up with the pain meds.

As for sleeping, your sleep is going to be disturbed for some time. Make up for that by taking naps whenever you can. All those little naps add up to the amount of sleep you need. Don't try to stay awake during the daytime, hoping you'll then sleep better at night, because that doesn't seem to work. Sleep where you can, when you can, and how you can.

Omg. Part of my butt is missing! It’s like that back corner is gone. It’s completely dented in. Please tell me the muscles are just stunned. Anyone have this?

Oh @LMBC hang in there. We all completely empathise and have been there. I too had unrealistic expectations and was disappointed when reality didn’t meet those expectations - even as early as day 3 post op. I was in tears, in pain and questioning what I had done. But after lots of ice, lots of rest, taking my meds on schedule regardless of what I thought I needed and lots of stern talks, both to myself and by my husband, I am now 3 weeks out and can see light at the end of the tunnel. Be gentle and kind with yourself. And come here often. The beautiful people on this site got me through some really down days, and have helped me celebrate the better ones.

Omg. Part of my butt is missing! It’s like that back corner is gone. It’s completely dented in. Please tell me the muscles are just stunned. Anyone have this?
I had the opposite of this. Half my butt was so swollen I felt like I was half a Kardashian! :heehee: I’m sure your butt is not missing, just rearranged!

LOL. The entire geography of my butt has changed. It's like there's a mountain at the top, a mountain at the bottom, and a wiggly, dented river valley in between. Sometimes it feels like I'm sitting on a golf ball, other times if feels like a hot dog. They swear it will get back to normal!

Things have definitely been moved around internally during your surgery. There will be a change in the external contours in the near term. All the muscles that were there still are. Right now rest, ice, take your meds, and heal.

Just checking in to see how you are doing today. Today is my day 5, and feel much better. Still on the walker, but down to just Tylenol and ice. I had my cry last night....just sitting here and started crying...crazy emotions:) I hope you are feeling much better and you have a glorious Saturday!!

hopnfox, Even on the second hip, there are unknowns, things you haven't felt, questions..... pretty normal I think. You're reestablishing always, emotions are allowed.

LMBC, hope you are feeling better today. I am 9 days post-op and I can tell you that the past 2 days I can really feel the healing. You only have a couple more days before you hit that point and I think you too will enjoy some noticeable pain relief, strength, mobility, balance etc. I pretty much followed all the advice suggested here on Bonesmart and I’m glad I did because I can tell now how wise it is.

I know you will get a lot of advice here all of which early on is comforting but still scary as hell. It’s difficult to predict the first few weeks in each of our recoveries because they are all so different. You will not regret your decision as your body heals, but three or so days into recovery it really doesn’t feel that way. Stay with the icing and pain meds. , grab sleep when you can. Read some of recovery threads here and you will find that while some , like mine are maybe a bit quicker than you may experience, but there are just as many that may even be slower than yours as you progress thru the next few weeks. It’s easy to try and compare your speed of recovery with another’s here and if you are not healing as quickly , to get down on your self, but I just want you to know it’s not unusual to have gains and setbacks and that no two recoveries , even on same body do not go the same. My left hip was a quick walk in the park. My right hip developed a seroma and needed to be opened back up to drain. Now 4 weeks out , I look to be back on track . Being bionic now , 4 replacement parts later, I can understand your depression , but take it from a veteran, it’s the best decision you could make.

You guys are truly awesome. The support in this group is amazing and so helpful. Feeling much better today and can start to see light at end of tunnel! Just hope the feeling of leg length discrepancy decreases. My surgeon warned me ahead of time that my spine had started to shift and there was already a difference that would feel worse after surgery. But I’m still hopeful with Pilates and exercise it might straighten back out to where it was 6 months ago.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom