Just got scheduled for surgery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeArizona

Country
United States United States
Hello All,
I's so glad I found this site.:bow:

Last Friday (10/23) I scheduled my right hip replacement surgery for the beginning of January. I've been fighting hip pain most of my life, but for a good many years I mistakenly thought it was lower back pain.:sigh:

I've had 4 shots that worked well, one every three months, but they each wore off after about a month. So...with the x-rays showing less and less cartilage in the joint...almost down to none now...it's time (I guess).

January seems like an eternity away, so I hope everyone doesn't get tired of my constant questions until my turn comes.

I hope to get to know you all over time. I can read all the sterile information available on the Web, but it doesn't compare to shared experiences from caring people.:thmb:

Thanks,

Joe

(oops...if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it Thanks!)

Welcome Joe! You've definitely come to the right place! Get ready to re-claim your life! Your journey has just begun!!! (:)0)

Hello and welcome!! It really is a blessing to have a place to talk to people who have been through the same experience. And trust me-January will be here before you know it...I look forward to reading your post freaking out about how close it is when you're about a week away! haha...I think we all posted something similar. Best of luck and please post any and all questions you have. We have a wonderful community of support here and I'm sure our fabulous moderators will be along shortly to welcome you as well~

I moved it into the surgery room, Joe. Welcome to the BoneSmart Family. I'm sure the other folks will pile in with lots of encouragement. But do read around, especially in the Information Centre (top of page) and in there, Recurring Hip Information. Some good reading there.

Hi Joe no question is crazy or silly........we have all been thru it and will be there for you as well.........best of luck to you and please post anytime..........welcome....any questions and as many as you have......).......

Hi Joe, my hip replacement is scheduled for Dec 14th so I'll be just ahead of you. This will be my third joint replacement in 26 months and I am NOT looking forward to going through it again but, that's just what I've got to do. Hang in there and we can commiserate with each other. We'll both do great!

Hi Joe welcome. You are the right place for support for sure. And Jo and Jamie are really good giving you advise.

Jan. will be here before you know it and then you will be free of that pain.

Keep posting with any questions and someone will be here to answer.

Lots of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great welcome everyone! I've been reading like crazy since I found this site.

I have to get a good avatar soon. I have to tell you Shugaplum...every time I've looked at your avatar it makes my hip hurt!:shk:
Is that from before surgery or after?

1jt@atime good luck. I wish I could push my surgery timeframe up...the waiting is going to drive me nuts.

haha...its from after my first surgery in February of 08 to clean out some cysts in the joint. The scar from that is bigger than my THR scar! I will be sure to post a post-THR pic as soon as I can! (give me another month or so!)

Welcome Jo
What is wrong with your avatar? Ilove it. I have spine surgery coming up on Dec 11th. Boy i wish i could push that up as well. I know the waiting game is the most difficult part.
But hey we can become good friends in the meantime.
judy

Hi Judy. I just added the avatar after I posted that message...it's my son goofing around.

Let me wish you good luck on your surgery...I'm sure we'll be talking a lot before that time though.

Joe, it's funny you said about January seeming so far away because I remember being in so much pain pre-op and my hubby and I would say "only 2 months to go" ..."only 35 days left"..."18 more days"
Then it was here and like everyone before me I was freakin' out and now I am on the other side.
When I woke up in the OR someone said "you have a new hip" and I said "that was really creepy!" Then they said "what was creepy?" (I think they thought I heard some of the surgery or something) and I said "just going to sleep and waking up with it all done"

Here are some things I worried about pre op and then how they turned out...
scared to have a catheter...didn't get one
scared about spinal...it did hurt some with the needle and was really a weird feeling when I couldn't move my legs anymore but post op they felt fine not heavy like I have heard from others
scared I would be really dopey post op...not at all...mostly pretty clear headed...a few times they gave me something I got sleepy but that was it....
scared that my fake hip would feel fake...it doesn't at all
scared that there would be a lot of pain...pain management has been perfect...there have times of discomfort but not agonizing pain...and taking some meds takes care of it
I did get a spinal headache and nobody did anything about it even though apparently there was a nurse who came in at the beginning who said that I might get one and then I would need an injection. My headache lasted for 4 days and the only thing that made it feel better was drinking coffee. I think the solution for it is that the nurses can inject caffeine into your system. I am only telling you this so that if you get one you can be ahead of the game and know what you need.
I was also scared that I would get the flu and that would postpone my surgery. By the time I was scared about this it was too late for me to get a flu shot. If you think it may be something that will concern you later you may want to get one now (check with OS though to make sure you are allowed)
One last thing...they did not shave my leg (had anterior approach) and removal of bandages was very painful. If I had it to do over again I would shave a large area (they used a big bandage) pre op to avoid some of that pain...especially when the leg was still swollen the skin was very tender anyway so pulling hair out just added to that torture. I think you have to shave before 48 hours pre op or something like that.

Blessings,
Sheri

Sheri,
Thanks so much for that post. You've convinced me I need to keep a list of things...since my procedure isn't until January I'll probably forget some important tips by then. I especially like the tips about the little comfort things like shaving a generous area beforehand just in case they don't...who knew? That's great!

I'm just so thankful for this site...:thmb:

Joe i remember the bonesmarties at the time of my hip replacement just saying take your pain meds on time and take your stool softeners too. That was my mantra!!!
judy

Just thought of a couple more...
I was afraid that I would get an infection (still nervous about that) so when I got a low grade fever I was really freaked out. Turns out that is not abnormal. I ran a low grade fever for the first 4 night at home (not during the day)

Then the dreaded constipation...As Judy said... the stool softeners have been very important but I also find I need to make sure to drink lots of fluid and eat fiber rich foods.

:) Sheri

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member