BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Just got my surgery date - August 2018 - yikes!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Joy77, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Joy77

Joy77 new member

United States United States
    I'm very new to Bonesmart having recently found it. I know reading through everyone's experiences will provide me with so much great information.

I'm in California and have been waiting a long time for my TKR surgery and I just got the call today that I'm scheduled for August 31, 2018 for LTKR through Kaiser in Orange County. Of course, now I'm nervous! I've already attended a required class and am now in physical therapy to build up my leg muscles.

Today I was scheduled for an appointment with an "Internist" (not sure what that's for), Pre-Op blood work / EKG, and a phone appointment with the anesthesiologist. I've already met with my surgeon.

I'm self employed and have three weeks to get everything in order to shut down my business for approximately six weeks.

This is just an introduction. I'm not even sure what I should be asking yet. lol But I do look forward to learning from all of you.

My best to all of you!

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Joy77 - and :welome:

Here is some reading to help you prepare for your surgery:
    If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

3. Hood1980

Hood1980 senior

Welcome to Bonesmart @Joy77. Happy you found us before your surgery. There are a lot of good articles to help you prepare for your upcoming surgery and recovery. I’ll be recovering from my revision surgery (scheduled September 5th) with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. MissViv18

MissViv18 new member

Congratulations on your date and best of luck!

I am still waiting for my appt. with my surgeon and looking forward to having a date!!

5. beachy

beachy senior

Welcome to Bonesmart @Joy77 !

You have come to the best place for info and support for your knee replacement. Find time to read everything Celle sent you in order to prepare for your recovery!

There are wonderful forum advisors and members here to help you. Best wishes to you for your surgery!

6. Joy77

Joy77 new member

Thank you to Celle, Hood1980, MissViv18, and beachy! I appreciate the nice welcome. I DO plan on reading all the information I can get. @Celle I will read over all that you have sent. I believe in being prepared the best I can before my surgery. @Hood1980 I hope your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

My picture posted is my latest x-ray. What a mess I have... like many on here I’m sure.

Thanks again everyone!

7. Laurenkate

Laurenkate senior

@Joy77....yikes. Your x-rays make my bionic knees hurt. The good news is you have enough time to prepare for surgery but not so much time that you start over-thinking & worrying too much. There is a lot of good information here and plenty of people to answer any questions. Don't try to digest all the info at once - it's a lot and can be a bit overwhelming! It's also helpful to read others' experiences so you'll have some idea of what to expect. Just remember; every knee & every recovery is different so read as much as you can but don't try to compare yourself with others.

8. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

The internist is just going to make sure you are in good enough shape for surgery and note any special concerns for your case, like diabetes or other conditions that might require a little extra vigilance. Sometimes your personal doctor will do this.

I too found reading about other recoveries helpful!

• Like Like x 1
  9. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I think building up muscles pre surgery is a good move too, it makes it easier to negotiate the post surgery period.

10. GRINGOGIRL

GRINGOGIRL new member

Canada Canada
    It is daunting prospect up to and including the surgery date. The procedure is over quite quickly. Be prepared to take your pain meds and to be out of commission for a few weeks in the post surgical fog. Emotions run high and are unstable for the first couple of weeks, you will question the wisdom of having the surgery at all. Appetite will probably be gone also. Prior to surgery make sure you have your home equipment on hand to help and a helper. You will not be cooking meals until 5 or 6 weeks out. Pre plan easy to heat meals to be just heated and served. Order groceries on line. I would advise you to rest when you need it eat what you can and go easy on the PT that they want you to do. Listen to your body! Do not push yourself if it causes pain.
    The turning point hits at about 6 weeks. You begin to see the light.
    I am 7 weeks post op and thought that I would never be normal again. You DO recover but it is slow. Take it day by day. Good luck Joy77. Stay with the forum and let us help you through.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
  12. Joy77

Joy77 new member

Laurenkate, SusieShoes, skigirl, GRINGOGIRL, Celle thanks for all your kind words. I’m listening to all of your advice and will follow through on it. I’ve been having PT appt’s prior to surgery and am following through with the exercises. Also, today I spent an hour in the pool working out my leg, hip and glut muscles. I’ve looked over the list posted on here regarding supplies to order ahead and I have a few things already in my Amazon cart (extra compression socks, a wire basket to carry things with my walker and a grabber for those hard to reach things). I’m thinking through any other must haves before I submit my order. My cousin had knee replacement so I’m getting advice from her, as well, what she found helpful. My husband will be home with me the first week after surgery. He’s an amazing caregiver who I’m grateful to have. After the first week he’ll go back to work but can work from home if I still need him.

@GRINGOGIRL I don’t mind that my appetite might be gone or a bit diminished. I’ve just struggled losing 70lbs just to be able to have this surgery and I can probably lose another 15 lbs before I’m down to a good weight. I actually hope to lose a few pounds... Yay! I’ll take it. Also, thank you for your realistic outlook... such as 6 weeks before I hit the turning point. You must be so excited being at the 7 weeks post op mark. I’m so happy for you.

@Celle It looks like my surgery date and my knee is in my signature. Not sure if I did that or it put it there from my profile info. But, my surgery date is August 31, 2018 for a Left TKR. Yea, I might begin a thread for my recovery. Thanks for the link.. I’ll check it out.

You are all so helpful. It’s nice to have a place to ask all my questions and feel supported through this process. I’m a bit nervous for this whole thing to happen but I might not be normal if I wasn’t. Lol.

My best to all of you!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2018 at 4:07 PM
  13. Eeek

Eeek senior

Switzerland Switzerland
    Good luck with everything and congrats on the weight loss! I was really worried about my weight before surgery. But apparently it wasn‘t an issue(my BMI was 39). Now i‘m hoping to improve on that by being able to walk more comfortably.

Not sure what sorts of compression socks you wear....i‘m Very fond of Sockwell compression knee socks. The thing about them though is that they come to the last few centimeters or inches of my scar, so i wouldn‘t wear them for a good 6 or 7 weeks after surgery.

It‘s excellent advice to not expect too much of yourself for the first 6-8 weeks. It was a big surprise how tired I was (and am - just had my 2nd knee three weeks ago)

Wishing you all the best!

14. Joy77

Joy77 new member

@Eeek My BMI is currently 28.5 (183 lbs) which shows I’m still overweight. I’m 5’6 1/2 and my Dr wants me down to at least 170 but would be happier if I maintained myself at 160. Funny thing about my height. I was always 5’7” (maybe a bit over that) but when my surgeon had my height taken I was almost an inch shorter. I was surprised by that but she said I’d most likely gain a little of my height back after my new knee. I never thought about getting a new knee would make me taller but it makes sense.

I have a question for whoever reads this. I don’t belong to any gym and don’t own a workable bike mainly because it hurts to do anything. I do have a pool which I’ve been walking in and doing work on my legs. I read that some people use those bicycle things that sit on the floor - where you sit and pedal. Is that beneficial? Should I purchase one before surgery so that I have it at home? Is there any other exercise equipment that I should have at home which will be beneficial? I can’t afford a full on stationery bike. I have exercise bands and not sure if I will be able to use them for my legs after surgery . . . Upper body yes I can use the bands for arm strength. I will also ask my PT when I see him next week.

Regarding compression socks.. @Eeek you asked what compression socks I wear. I’ve never worn them. I was just told that I will get one pair at the hospital and I’d have to wear them for 2 months (I think it’s 2 months). So I knew I needed to get more pairs. I didn’t think about where they will hit my leg i.e. covering my incision. I just randomly picked some on Amazon. I haven’t hit the order button yet as I want think about what I need to order first. Do you, or others, have recommendations on compression socks? I don’t have skinny legs (my calves seem a bit thicker than most) so not sure if that matters. If the socks sit too high on my leg can I just roll them down so they don’t hit my incision? Any advice here would be appreciated. I will look at the Sockwell brand.. thanks!

My best to you and all!

15. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I have one of those floor pedaling machines. It was nice to have for rainy days when I couldn't walk (my usual exercise). That said, I don't think you necessarily need one. It's a purely personal decision based on how much you would enjoy/use it.

No exercise equipment at all is needed for recovery from TKR. Exercise equipment will not help make recovery faster or better. Many recover excellently doing only walking and daily activities. :wave: Again, though, some people like some equipment and find it helpful because they like it. My mom used her stationary bike for both her new knees. I know you say you can't afford one, so she's just an example. You need to do what's best for you. Don't spend money on equipment you don't love or need.

The risk with exercise equipment is that some people will overdo the exercising, or attempt exercises their knees aren't ready to handle, and set back their own recoveries.

We recommend NOT using exercise bands with your legs for the first months post-surgery. Why? See the above answer: People will attempt too much. Resistance such as used by gym machines or exercise bands are not good for the early stages of TKR healing and recovery. Resistance is for building strength, something you can do much later in recovery. For the beginning stages, your knee only needs healing and a little of the gentlest mobility, such as found in walking, mild bending and stretching, and maybe a little rocking on the bike pedals.

I don't have any insight on compression stockings, alas. Never used them for TKR. Others, though, have found them very beneficial. If you do a search of the forum, you will find many discussions and might get some good ideas. :)

16. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

I did not use compression stocking, nor were they ordered for me. Be careful rolling them down. The best exercise for post operative, is walking!

17. Eeek

Eeek senior

Switzerland Switzerland
    If I had to get my weight down to a BMI of 30, I‘d be in a wheelchair before it happened. Luckily my doctors realized that and did not give me excess mess about my weight. If you can get it down, then great, but no patient should be held hostage by weight, unless it is unsafe for surgery, etc. (that‘s just my biased opinion)

Maybe now that I can walk more, things will improve. Maybe not.

As for compression socks, lots of people are given compression stockings to wear in hospital. They generally come to mid thigh and won‘t interfere with your inscision. That might be what your instructions refer to. They are also called TED stockings, I believe. I wore mine in hospital for 4 days but when I was released was given an anti thrombosis med for6 weeks, so no socks required. you may want to check on this before you buy anything.
    The teds come in a wide range of sizes.

Good luck!

18. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

The info on compression socks is all over the place. The hospitals use white TED hose and I don't think I have ever heard of wearing them for 2 months!!! I wore mine for two weeks!! A lot of folks don't use them at all, so I would not invest a lot of money in compression hose unless you need to use them for varicose veins.

If you buy things from Amazon, we get a small donation if you use Amazon Smile and designate us as your charity!!

Here is what I did, I emailed or texted all of my friends that I was having a total knee and asked if anyone had a stationery bike that they were bit using and would let me borrow it for two months. I got FOUR offers and the one I took just gave me the bike---she was using it to hang clothing in her house.

I used the pool a lot with my knee, although you have to wait 8 weeks when the scar is completely healed before you can get into the pool. I bought a buoyancy belt at a sporting goods store--even a noodle would work. I walked forward, backward, sideways in the pool, I worked on my bend, I realaxed and walked about in the pool. It was easy to overdo, so be careful, but the pool helped with the swelling and allowed me to walk earlier that I would have walked without the water. At six weeks, I put on the belt and began "running" in the pool. I still enjoy water aerobics which is easier on my joints. We have a list of things you might like for your recovery, I will post it at the bottom, but I would not spend a lot of money in advance.

It is good to have some way to ice. I had four gel packs that I bought from my pt---they wrapped around my knee. Some folks use ice machines and just love them---it is all up to you and your finances. Although someone may have an ice machine lying around somewhere and might be willing to let you use it.
    Ice to control pain and swelling

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joy77

Joy77 new member

Thanks @SusieShoes @Mutti3 @Eeek and @skigirl !

I won’t rush to purchase the peddle machine. On my next visit with my PT I’ll ask him what he thinks then make my decision.

The surgeon office stressed compression stockings. I might just buy one extra pair so I can rotate them when I need one washed. I was going to buy more but I’ll hold back a little on that too. It’s so nice having Amazon which makes getting supplies easy.

My surgical group was adamant about weight loss. I would go in crying either on crutches or a cane with pain. They said they wouldn’t do it mainly because the infection rate goes up significantly. I even went to a second physician in the same group and he said the same thing. It was a requirement via my insurance company and the surgeons wouldn’t go outside of that guideline. I fought the weight loss issue for at least 6 years. They finally suggested weight loss surgery which I had just this last October. I went from 230 to now I’m at 180 with 10-15 more lbs to go (I’m close to 5’7”). I do feel so much better and the surgeons won. But I actually won too. My surgery was originally schedule for February 2019 due to the waiting list. But when I met with my surgeon (not one of the previous ones) she said we need to get you in asap as your knees are so bad. So I went on the cancellation list. She had me take a TKR class right away..which I did. Well I just got a call on Friday asking if I can go for it in 3 weeks! Yikes.. wasn’t mentally prepared but I wasn’t going to turn it down.

@skigirl that’s a good idea to ask around to see if anyone has a exercise bike they aren’t using! I’m sure I’ll get lucky. :)

My best to all of you!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Eeek

Eeek senior

Switzerland Switzerland
    @Joy77 - i‘m Really glad that worked out for you. And as long as you feel better, that‘s all that matters. good luck!