Lounge Doctor

Labral Tear Just Diagnosed [20, M]

CPrescott

Country
United States United States
Well, I want to start off by saying this is one of the best forums I have found for this type of problem.

Today, after a hip arthrogram, I was diagnosed with a labral tear. The exact words used in the report were "small nondisplaced acetabular labral tear anterior segment left hip. Thin linear gadolinium signal along the chondrolabral junction anterior segment left acetabular labrum." Any idea what nondisplaced means vs. displaced? Google couldn't provide much.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit bummed out about this. I feel like I'm going to be hindered in life. I know this sounds like an overreaction because of the problems that most people have on this forum, and I apologize for that. But it is hard when all of my friends are out playing the sport they love and are young and healthy, and here I am with a problem that most people don't get until later on in life. I don't know anyone in real life to relate to or ask for words of motivation, so here I am.

I'm not exactly sure the cause, but I work at a shipyard and I fell 10 feet and landed on my leg weird about 6 months ago. I've never really felt 100% since that day, but it gradually has gotten worse since then. I believe the two are correlated.

Symptoms:
- I can walk but after a bit, it really starts to flare up
- Sometimes I feel a weird tearing sensation
- Tender to touch sometimes?
- Lack of range of motion in affected hip, I can't bring it to my chest when I'm laying down like I can my good leg. About 3 inches difference. Feels like something is physically blocking it. But I have no mentions of any kind of impingement and there were no cam lesions found on my report. I've had X-Rays as well, and no doctor has mentioned impingement.
- I don't have the "C" pain like most people describe, I mainly just have groin pain. Unfortunately, I'm also being checked out for a hernia next week to see if I have one of those as well. At this point, it's hard to tell which one is causing the groin pain. Just my luck I guess.

I have some questions:

1. Is it normal for the hip to feel stiff and bulky after an arthrogram?
2. Does anyone here have any words of hope for me?
3. I keep seeing statistics where people have labrum tears but don't have any symptoms, and that most people will have a labral tear during their life, but again, show no symptoms. What if this isn't causing my pain, and I go through the lengthy recovery period, just to be in pain afterwards?
4. If you've had surgery, how was it? Do you regret it? Do you think it's manageable with just PT?
5. Can stretching cause this? I'm a flexible person for a male, I've always had an interest in doing yoga and used to do hip opening exercises and stretches of the sort.

Thank you all. I'm sorry if I come across as an anxious teenager. I'm just now taking all of this in.

Last edited:

subie2021

Country
[/quote] 1. Is it normal for the hip to feel stiff and bulky after an arthrogram?
IME just about anything done outside the normal can cause weird sensations

2. Does anyone here have any words of hope for me?
You are young, and you live in a country with some of the best health care options in the world. Kings, princes, and some of the richest people in the world come here for treatment.

3. I keep seeing statistics where people have labrum tears but don't have any symptoms, and that most people will have a labral tear during their life, but again, show no symptoms. What if this isn't causing my pain, and I go through the lengthy recovery period, just to be in pain afterwards?
The only stat that matters is the one that is yours. Don't try to apply them to your case. If after your lengthy recovery period for a tear, you still have pain, then you explore other possibilities. It can be frustrating, but sometimes you just have to play the hand you're dealt.

4. If you've had surgery, how was it? Do you regret it? Do you think it's manageable with just PT?
I have a labral tear as a result of a fall. Because of my age and some arthritis a repair isn't advised so I'm going with a hip replacement. But I can tell you that PT does help me. It can relieve the pain if only temporarily. You know a tear can't repair itself, right? But you might find that you can get by with doing your pt every single day. If it doesn't help much, there are surgical options. If you are lucky, the tear might eventually resolve ( not heal) and not cause you grief.

5. Can stretching cause this? I'm a flexible person for a male, I've always had an interest in doing yoga and used to do hip opening exercises and stretches of the sort.
Ask your doctor or therapist about this. Some moves can help a lot, but others can aggravate your injury. My advice in the meantime would be if it hurts while you're doing it, or afterwards, don't do that anymore.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with an injury at a young age. But think of all the elite amateur or pro athletes who experience the same thing. They come back, and so can you. Your come-back might take some medical intervention, and a ton of effort on your part, but you probably are not doomed to the sidelines forever. In the meantime, you might be able to find a way to participate in your favorite activities by temporarily taking on a different role - coach, keep score, manage your team, etc. It stinks to not play, but you can still go out for a beer with the guys after the game.

Best of luck to you going forward. Have faith that this is just a bump in the road for you. I believe that there are no accidents, ever - whatever happens to us has a reason that we might not see until later, or ever; these experiences are placed in front of us to help us grow and learn about our place in this world.

Healing mojo sent your way!
[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
C

CPrescott

Country
Thank you, @subie2021. Those words are exactly what I needed, especially the first one. I have to place faith in the doctors and the technology we have developed over the years. I will try to remain calm until I speak to the surgeon. In the meantime, you are right about finding a different role where I can still be involved. Unfortunately, I'm only 20, so I might have to pass on the beer with the guys after the game. :loll:

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@CPrescott The acetabular is the socket in which the ball ( head of the femur rests) and the labrum is the material that covers that area and provides padding for the ball. So a labral tear is an area of the padding that has a tear in it. Non-displaced means tear is small but still in the position it's supposed to be in, not shifted to one side or the other. As for the rest of the arthrogram report you'll need to discuss that with your doctor or surgeon - I'm not a medical person.

You might not need surgery for this but that would be up to a surgeon to decide ... and even if you did need surgery to repair this it does not look to me like you need a hip replacement yet. Again I'm not a medical person but there's no indication in what you've posted here that either the ball or socket are worn and arthritic.

I'd encourage you to take this one step at a time - talk to doctor or surgeon first and see what the treatment recommendations are. In my experience - I worked in a medical setting for a long time - it is very easy for medical reports to look scary to a patient but read as "no big deal" to a doctor.

Let us know what your doctor says!

OP
OP
C

CPrescott

Country
Thank you so much, @djklaugh. Your definition of non-displaced makes sense. I'm surprised that it is a bit hard to differentiate between the two online. You explained it perfectly. I'm hoping that if it does come to repair, a non-displaced one is easier. I will find out next week and let you all know.

I know everyone here has their own battles, especially the mental aspect of an injury, but the fact that you all can come together and aid others in theirs is just amazing and selfless. Thank you.

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
@CPrescott

Bummer about the Labral tear. Good news is it's a relatively simple surgery to remedy and no doubt you will be back to all activities after a few months of recovery. I had labral tears in both hips at a young age due to a heavy contact sport lifestyle. Surgery to repair both had me back to sport @100% within a few months. To alleviate your worry, an injury to your hip does not mean you will head down the path to replacement. A lot of people have issues with there hips ( labral tear, impingement etc ) and have no concerns down the track.

Get some advice from a great surgeon / sports doctor, have the surgery if required and get back to living your life.

Going4fun

graduate
Country
You need a meeting with a surgeon or perhaps other doctors to translate the findings of the report into plain language that you can understand. I am a secret medical nerd and I rarely read the detailed reports. I listen carefully, even take notes, on what the surgeon says to me in person. BTW: if I don't understand the surgeon I ask questions and if again I still don't get what the surgeon says (not at some technical level but in broad terms enough to figure out what's going on), I go meet with a different surgeon.

So, when you consult with a surgeon, they will explain your injury and explain your options, including possibly PT, temporary rest and so on.

Consult with multiple surgeons on this--don't stop until you find someone you really trust. Gut-level trust. Your primary doctor might be able to recommend good people for you. But you can also google around. And be clear on your goals. I assume you want a full return to work and activities. And don't assume consulting with a surgeon means the surgeon will recommend surgery.

Puggles

Country
Hi there! :)

I have no answers to any of your questions, because I haven't
had my THRs (yet! because....fear!) but wanted to say I'm
glad you posted! This site has helped me SO, SO much, and I know
it'll help you, too! I have mentioned ALL of my fears and worries,
and everyone has been so supportive and helpful! I also love
giving other people empathy and encouragment!

You're not sounding like an anxious
teenager at all. Pain and disability are DIFFICULT----we understand!
I've gone from being an active person to using a walker full-time,
can't take a shower without a chair, need a toilet riser, have to ask
my sweet hubby to put my socks on, feel like a burden, etc.....and it has been VERY depressing at times! We get it !! (( hugs ))

P.S. And although I know NOTHING about labrum tears, it is very
interesting to read everyones' stories, because I learn SO much!
I hope it makes you feel better that your story can really teach a lot
of people new things.
About 6 years ago, I saw a surgeon who was SO funny---I miss him!
(*ortho surgeons and the word "Funny" do NOT often go together---
trust me--many years ago, I worked around many of them who
had that awful " God complex," and were verbally abusive!)

Anyhooooo.....my FUNNY and very kind surgeon said he would have bet a million dollars that I had
a labrum tear. It wasn't until he saw my MRI that my problem was
just "good ole, wear -n- tear" osteoarthritis. He also made some kind of funny joke
about it, which I can't remember now. I told him
that I was realllllly looking forward to that million dollars!

Since he approved
of me delaying a hip replacement for several more years, I also said something silly like I was sorry I didn't have the torn labrum and immediate surgery he thought I needed, because I didn't want his Jaguar/ Porche payment to be late that month.

Nothing better than doctors who have a GOOD sense of humor! I'm sure
most (or EVERYONE) here has had experiences with rude/ mean/ arrogant/
demeaning doctors, PAs, and nurse practitioners.....ugh, I certainly have!

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Equestrian40
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom