TKR Just a little support...

@luvcats I agree with you. I’m about 10 weeks out and yes it’s awful at first, but will be worth it! I wish I had known about this site before my TKR.. long story short I had very little PT first two weeks and was so worried about losing any ROM, thinking I would have to fight for it! Will post my own recovery post soon.

Happy AnnKNEEversary!

So, any truth to weather changes making knee ache/hurt? Knee has been fine till Sunday night and we’re back to rolling around in the bed, not comfortable, and bits of pain during the day. Oh, it’s better today but just curious. Anyone have experience?

My “little partial” is very sensitive to bad weather. My knees were not, before surgery. :blackcloud:

Hi @lopat we're going to get the weather change today so I'll let you know... I have little aches, especially while going to sleep on and off, but I don't know if it's related to the weather. I'm hoping it's something that will lessen over time...

It’s so hard to say if it’s weather or increased activity! I’ve become a slave to my Fitbit, trying to increase steps each day in preparation for returning to work in a month.

Reactions: RAD
My old knees were horribly weather sensitive. Last winter was a bear. I haven't gotten far enough with the new upgrade to know. I hope not.

Well, I said goodbye yesterday to my PTs. They’ve been so supportive I hated leaving them. My ROM is 125. Still can’t quite get my leg flat, but I blame my calves. I’m off to Disney World on Tuesday. Plan on attempting as many rides as I can in 1 day for charity (Give Kids The World Village) My record is 40 out of 46. Using an ECV, I’m hoping for 20. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

No worries, taking a box of freezer bags to ice.

Nancy

@lopat have a great trip! Your ROM is great, I'm not quite that good yet, I'm around 115/120. I had pretty bad ROM going in and large calcifications behind my knee that my OS removed, so I'm hanging in with PT until I go on my trip at the end of August. I'm sure your extension will get there. I'm just the opposite, I had full extension really quickly, the flexation has challenged me!

Regarding your prior questions, I don't think the weather has impacted me too much, I think it's just the nature of still being relatively early in our long term recovery, good days and bad days.

I hope the weather isn't too crazy hot for you - NYC is going to be cooking this weekend! Have lots of fun and I look forward to hearing about what a good time you had.

I hope the weather isn't too crazy hot for you - NYC is going to be cooking this weekend! Have lots of fun and I look forward to hearing about what a good time you had.

Supposed to be heat index of 106 today and 107 tomorrow.

I agree about you continuing on at PT. NOT because you’re not very far, but because you have a big trip coming up. Lolol. It was like saying goodbye to family yesterday.

@lopat, wow, that's HOT! Good luck with that! I'm going to get up early, go for a walk and then hide out in air conditioning and binge watch stuff.

And yes, I had the same idea in mind with PT. I really like the people I'm working with too, it will be hard to leave!

Woohoo! Those are great numbers. And you still have so much healing to go.
I envy you heading to Disney. I can't wait to go, but I still have much healing and a whole other surgery to go before I head out to play in December. Have an amazing time!

So, I’m back from Disney. Great trip. Learned a few things. I walked roughly 10,000 steps a day. On the day of the challenge my friend and I rode 26 out of 45 ride. She walked over 40,000 steps. I rode most of the. It still walked almost 8,000. We made over 100.00 for GKTWVillage. On Thursday I decided to walk Epcot. My knee was great. I took my cane and “strolled”. However, my hip let me know it’s next. :bignono: Lol My OS told me I’d know when I went to Disney. He was right. So back to the ECV for the most part.

The funniest thing and the scariest was when we were watching the MK fireworks from the 15th floor balcony of the Contemporary. I leaned the cane up against the railing. I guess the vibrations from the fireworks wiggled it loose and it fell off. It fell to the 4th floor! :holysheep:Thank God, it didn’t hit anyone. It was so scary. I hurried out and took the elevator to the 4th floor. No cane. Apparently a young man standing next to me ran down the stairs to get my cane and then back up. We couldn’t catch the elevator back up so we took the stairs. Me and my new knee walked up 11 flights!! Lolol other than being out of breath, I was tickled. Even better my legs weren’t sore the next day. The young man met me on the 13th floor coming back down with me cane. My poor cheetah cane’s handle split. Bell services duct taped it for me and it got me home but I got a new one.

The best part of the whole thing was my knee didn’t swell. It got a little tired and then achy at night but not much of anything. AND, about Saturday or so I realized I didn’t feel like I was carrying around a foreign object. It just felt like me knee.

The GM at a restaurant we went to Friday evening had a very “not using his knee” hip roll. On the way out I asked, knees or hips. He had both knees done 8 months earlier. At the same time. Rehab to home. Blood clot and extra hospital time. Long story short, knees won’t bend. I gave him this website and suggested he do some research. He wrote it down so fingers crossed.

I’ll catch up with all your threads this week.

Nancy

@lopat wow! It sounds like you performed like a champ! I’m so happy for you! Seems like you had many fun adventures, and that you felt good. I hope I’ll do as well when I go on my trip in a month. So far I’ve been walking longer distances, and have been out and about more in addition to work. Congrats on a great trip!

@lopat That is such an awesome update. :wowspring: I can't imagine doing that yet, but it sounds like you were more than ready. Funny story about the cane too. :)

Woohoo!!! What a fantastic trip! 11 flights of stairs. That's amazing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back