TKR Just a little support...

So, 6 week check up today. It went very well. OS told me I was more like 3 months along instead of 6 weeks. He said other than still being a little swollen from my fall, I’d not hurt anything including my elbow. He also told me I could quit PT. I then went to PT. I agree with her. I think she’s got a little more she can help me do.

Figured out why I fell. We went to grocery this evening. There is about 1 1/2” drop off from bathroom floor into hallway. I didn’t see it so I was off balance and then fell.

So great dat. Congrats @RAD. Would have loved to go to French lunch with you.:cheers: Sorry, no wine glasses.

Nancy

What great news from your OS! If you have a good PT, I think it can be very helpful. My PT does a lot of stretching and massage with me and it does me a lot of good.

Cheers to both of our recoveries and to further improvement!

Best news yet. I FINALLY slept in my bed last night. I decided to mimic my recliner. I ordered a wedge pillow for my head. Also got a foam pad for the mattress. Then I put a very small 3” pillow under my knees. Slept 2 hours, got up for bathroom, then 4 hours. I feel so successful today. Not sure if it was sleeping in the bed or the extra long workout at PT yesterday, but my knee feels almost normal today.

@lopat I am so sorry you had the fall......I was just catching up on your thread. Geez.....so scary but am glad you are ok.

Last night we went to Kings Island. It’s an amusement park in southern Ohio. We live 10 minutes away and have annual passes. I thought it would be a good way to get my walk in without doing it for exercise. Did way better than I thought. 4200 steps! Twice what I wanted to do. I was tired when I got home but my knee felt ok. Gonna take it easy today.

Hotter than the surface of the sun here. We actually moved the basil into the house and everything else into the shade. (Balcony garden)

Hope everyone has a great, pain free weekend.

Nancy

Awesome @lopat! I remember Kings Island from when I was a little girl in Cincinnati. I’ve been out and about a lot too, it’s great!

Today! 1 day shy of 7 weeks, I walked up the stairs to my condo. 15 stairs, No rail! There was a limp to it, but I can’t believe how much stronger my leg is. No worries, I’ll take it slow but I’m getting so sick of “devil down”, “angel up”.

Thanks for listening. I knew you guys would understand how happy it makes me.:walking:

Great news re the stairs. I can go up foot over foot with caution, but going down stairs that way is still too difficult to do without rails and lots of time. I live in a tri-level house, so stairs are a constant for me.

@Rather I live in a third floor walk up apartment, so plenty of stairs every day! I’m going foot over foot up and down, but definitely using the railing. Again, good for you @lopat!

@Rather and @RAD, note I said I went up......1 time, limping. Nothing was mentioned about down. I have started trying a step or 2 but definitely not ready for all of them, even with the rail!

Reactions: RAD
@KarriB I couldn't agree more with your no touching rule. The day following my RTKR the surgical resident (not my OS) came in and said to me " You're going to hate me for this but it has to be done", and he proceeded to shove a rolled towel under my ankle and pushed down hard on my knee until the back touched the mattress. I screamed from the pain and if I wasn't in so much shock and pain I would have thrown my walker at him!

COngratulations on your "look---no hands!!" victory. I agree with celebrating them ALL, big and small, knowing this is such along recovery. :)

Down stairs generally takes longer. And it's ok to keep using the railing; but how nice to learn you were able to go up without it as an experiment.

I have to drive from OH to NC tomorrow with my mom. 10 hours in a car. Her brother died and I’m the only one that can go along with her. Found a foldable step stool at Walmart that I can use to kind of elevate while riding although I’m hoping she’ll let me drive most of the time (she’s 82). NOT looking forward to it. I plan on frequent stops but that’s a long time in a car.

I’ll try to check in this week. Everyone have a great week.:driver:

I’m sorry to hear about your mom’s brother.

Take some type of ice packs for the car, and for whenever else you need them, take your elevating wedge so you can elevate over night, carry that stool with you so you can put your foot up wherever you are. Don’t stand when you can sit.

Don’t try to tough it out too much, you also really need to take care of you.

Set backs can happen quickly and they sure don’t go away as quick as they come. Been there, done that!

Safe travels tomorrow. Be sure and take lots of breaks. Getting out and walking will help keep the discomfort and stiffness out of your knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back